Steam needs to be online to update

ChevyGuy

Steam needs to be online to update

Post by ChevyGuy »

Trying to install farm simulator on a friend's computer. It is an HP laptop windows 7. Her Internet is some company in Indiana and it is satellite and Downloads 1mb per hour, at least it seems that way. Steam will install but get 20-30 percent updating and tells me it needs to be online to update. So I ran it in administration mode. No luck. When into steam files and tried using the other updating methods which will let me do the update then at 99 percent it tells me the error. Tried looking in regedit for the online file in the value folder and there is no online file. Reinstalled, no luck. Restarted laptop, no luck. I'm stumped.. it installed flawlessly on my Dell Optiplex with AT&T uverse Internet. So is there another solution or is it the Internet provider? :hmm:
Farmer_Bob

Re: Steam needs to be online to update

Post by Farmer_Bob »

I'm in no way an expert about these things but it sounds to me that when you get the message about steam needing to be online ... etc. that your friend has lost connection during the install. With your friends limited connection speed I was wondering if you could copy/paste your update to her PC? I don't know if this possible or even legal so I would recommend emailing Giants direct and explaining the situation to them to see if they can offer any other help and/or advice.
james1998brooks

Post by james1998brooks »

I have a bit of advice science she has a laptop take the laptop to yours and install the game and do the up date and then put steam into offline mode and run the game once while connected to a stable internet then it should work without internet

hope I helped

(hi bob)
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

Good idea James *thumbsup* *thumbsup*