Upgrading

2011bx25guy

Upgrading

Post by 2011bx25guy »

Hello. Thanks for reading. I am currently looking to do a couple upgrades to my desktop for a little better gaming experience. My current setup is
Gateway dx4860-ef32p
Intel Core i7 processor 2600
ATI Radeon HD 6750 1024MB
2TB hard drive
8GB DDR3.

I am looking to likely upgrade my RAM and my Video card. I have been looking at the Sapphire R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video.

Any thoughts or recommendation would be great.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: Upgrading

Post by bassaddict »

RAM is fine, at least as long as it's running at least at 1333MHz, better would be 1600MHz. But the GPU is definitely the weakest part in that computer, doesn't really fit to the other parts.
With that CPU I'd recommend something like the R9 270X.

But before buying a new GPU you should check your PSU. Your current setup sounds like a pre-build computer. These often have a crappy PSU which is not strong enough to reliably run better hardware.
2011bx25guy

Post by 2011bx25guy »

Thanks for the reply and the heads up on my PSU it's only 300 watt so that will need to be upgraded as well. Should I be concerned with the motherboard ? I'm now wondering if I should just build a gaming PC and sell this one for whatever I can get for it. Any suggestions on the best places to buy PC components?
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

If you don't mind getting the parts from different shops, you could try pcpartpicker.com to get the best price for each part. It will also tell you if there are possible incompatibilities.
And even if you want to get all parts from one shop, you can still use that site to get an idea of which sites there are for getting PC parts in your country.
2011bx25guy

Post by 2011bx25guy »

Ok So I have just ordered a new PSU. I ordered the Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W. I figure go big or go home right ? This should be good for future upgrades as well so I'm told. Now to make a decision on what video card to get. I think I may try the R9 270x. I have had a few people suggest ASUS video cards. Any input on these cards?
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

You plan on running two GPUs in crossfire, or why such a very big, expensive PSU? For just one R9 270X a PSU for half the money would do without any problems.