Grain/grass not showing up periodically

dArCReAvEr

Grain/grass not showing up periodically

Post by dArCReAvEr »

Hello,

I got a problem: When I'm playing LS 2013 my grain and grass plants do not show up, and the game looks like this:

However, if I try to harvest those blank spots the harvester/mower will still harvest the fruits. And sometimes the grain shows up when the harvester enters one of those blank spots. For grass, the windrows also disappear from time to time.

my specs:

Intel i5 4670
Radeon 7870
Win 7
Drivers 'should' be up to date.
Map is Vanilla Valley 2.1

I play FS on maximum settings on 1024p, and apart from some warnings (which are related to some stereo sound files that I didn't convert to mono yet, a missing fruittype for a sowing machine and some mr_gearshift stuff that I'm not actively using atm) it's clean.

So, I'd like to know what could possibly cause these "holes", does somebody have an idea?

Thanks in advance for your help :hi:
Attachments
log.txt
(23.45 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
MfG DarcReaver

- Modding, scripting, soundediting, gameplay -

Spielt zur Zeit: LS 2019 mit Seasons auf Westerhorn/Ellerbach
tater salad

Re: Grain/grass not showing up periodically

Post by tater salad »

It looks like the view distance for each foliage type is set pretty high. There is a limit to how much foliage can be rendered. I recall reading somewhere that there is a limit within the game engine, so it probably isn't hardware related. There could be some hardware issues involved, I really don't know.

try unzipping the mod and open the map i3d with Notepad++. Do a search for FoliageSubLayer. This will bring you to all the different foliage types. For each foliage type, there will be a viewDistance attribute. I think the Giants default is viewDistance="80". I edit most of my maps for a view distance of 120 to 150 with no problems. That is with an 8 core cpu and a Nvidia Titan graphics card.
dArCReAvEr

Post by dArCReAvEr »

tater salad wrote:It looks like the view distance for each foliage type is set pretty high. There is a limit to how much foliage can be rendered. I recall reading somewhere that there is a limit within the game engine, so it probably isn't hardware related. There could be some hardware issues involved, I really don't know.

try unzipping the mod and open the map i3d with Notepad++. Do a search for FoliageSubLayer. This will bring you to all the different foliage types. For each foliage type, there will be a viewDistance attribute. I think the Giants default is viewDistance="80". I edit most of my maps for a view distance of 120 to 150 with no problems. That is with an 8 core cpu and a Nvidia Titan graphics card.
Alright, looks like you're right on your guess. I've checked the view Distance values for this map like you suggested. They're set to 160 for each fruittype. I'll lower them to 120 and test it now. Thanks for your help :)

edit: after some testing I can confirm that lowering the view distance helped. With 120 I can see all grops now again.
MfG DarcReaver

- Modding, scripting, soundediting, gameplay -

Spielt zur Zeit: LS 2019 mit Seasons auf Westerhorn/Ellerbach
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Twice the viewDistance equals four times the area that has to be rendered. With a memory limit for the foliage (128MB on low, 192MB for other HW profiles) that viewDistance is just too much to fit in the limited memory.
Btw: the memory is limited due to Performance reasons.