GIANTS engine has stopped working???

benschiltz

GIANTS engine has stopped working???

Post by benschiltz »

I purchased the game from Steam and I have never gotten it working for the past few months since purchase. I tried al the troubleshooting that I could find online including editing the xml file. Still no dice and it just won't work. I have the latest patch through steam. I also entered NONE for the beta option within the steam settings for this game.

There has got to be a fix for this. I have a ASUS gaming laptop that runs virtually every game I have purchased except this one. I would post a log for you but I have no clue where to find it. It's definitely not in with the game files in my steamapps/common/farmsimulator2013 folder. Please help.
austinm53

Re: GIANTS engine has stopped working???

Post by austinm53 »

Go to the log folder and open it up. You'll find the log folder in Documents/My Games/Farming simulator2013, then scroll down and double click on the log folder. Scroll down the log very slowly and if there are any errors, you delete the mods it is scripting an error on. Ok :biggrin2:
benschiltz

Post by benschiltz »

Hi Austinm53

Thank you. I haven't any mods because I haven't been able to start the game ever since I made the purchase months ago. Maybe it is my computer requirements not matching up I don't know. But I can play a ton of games with this ASUS Notebook.

Here is my log:

GIANTS Engine Runtime 5.0.1 (build date: Mar 31 2014)
Copyright (c) 2008-2012, GIANTS Software GmbH (www.giants-software.com), All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (c) 2003-2012, Christian Ammann and Stefan Geiger, All Rights Reserved.
Application: FarmingSimulator2013
Main System
Cpu Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Cpu Core(s): 8 @ 1.7 GHZ
Physics System
Driver: NVIDIA PhysX Runtime
Version: 2.8.4
Thread(s): 2
Input System
Keyboard enabled
Mouse enabled
Gamepad/Joystick disabled
Force Feedback disabled
Sound System
Driver: OpenAL
Version: 1.1
Device: Generic Software
Max. sources: 256
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

That's all?
If yes, you need to install the latest GPU driver.
benschiltz

Post by benschiltz »

Ah ok is that something someone who is not all that great with computers like myself can do without messing something up? If so then I just got to figure out where to find the cpu drivers and update it. I am going to install the game on the Desktop PC instead and see if it will work.

Update: I found that my intel drivers were fully up to date already and someone mentioned elsewhere that I would have to upgrade the processor itself. Chances are my ASUS notebook may not have a socket as the chip might be soldered. Also my motherboard may not support a better processor so ya I need to contact the ASUS company and find out. But so far drivers are fully updated lol and that puts a damper on things now. haha. Oh well guess that deserves me right for quickly buying a game that looks like fun and not understanding if it will even work.
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

You said that you have a gaming laptop. If that's really the case, you must also have a dedicated GPU not just the iGPU.
benschiltz

Post by benschiltz »

I don't know what I'm talking about really, I've been saying it was a gaming laptop because that is what I was told by the seller. But it's obvious I don't have a clue about anything when it comes to these things. It appears that I may not have the requirements now when I look at it. How do I know if I have an iGPU? Or better yet if you can give me a list of upgrades you would suggest I need I can take this thing to someone to have it looked at and upgrade anything that needs to be in order to play these farming sims. I can play almost any game including WOW and so far this is the only game presenting an issue with my computer. So I was surprised when it happened but it could be just my problem and I may need to upgrade things. Thanks for you help and anything else you can suggest. I really do appreciate it a lot.
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

The Intel HD you were talking about is an iGPU.

But an Asus with a core i7 should have also a dedicated GPU (Nvidia or AMD). So you should really try to find out if/what dedicated GPU you have. I think dxdiag should tell you that. (just press WIN + R and enter dxdiag in that window and press enter and check the display tab)
benschiltz

Post by benschiltz »

I did as you suggested and I found it isn't showing Nvidia or AMD but does say display adapter is ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870. Maybe I can find the info another way. I will see if I can find one of the above you mentioned.

UPDATE: I went to do some research and discovered that AMD bought out Radeon so they are the same. Well that is what a few forums are saying anyway. According to ASUS 5870 is the up to date version so I am screwed if that is the problem I assume.
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

Yup, ATI is now AMD. I think the 5000 series was the last one which was called ATI, even though by then it was already bought by AMD.

The latest driver for that GPU was released just a month ago (according to the AMD homepage). Are you sure you've installed that one?
benschiltz

Post by benschiltz »

I will have a look, and in case I don't find what I'm looking for or I miss it in my search may I ask which number it is you are referring to? I am happy I am learning a thing or two here with you. Thank you for that.

UPDATE: Instead of creating a whole new reply I just add these updates lol. So I went to the AMD website and used the autodetect and it is downloading the best driver. My current driver version is 8.683.0.0. This will hopefully help with my problem.

UPDATE #2: Ok this is final update on situation. After updating the drivers to the latest version 15.xxx it gave me the blue screen of death. I loaded up the computer a few times but right away the blue screen came up. Finally it gave me some time to roll back the display drivers. I am afraid it didn't work. Maybe there is an issue with the hardware I don't know but at this point updating drivers will not work for what I have. Now that I think of it I remember the guy who sold me this computer said something about not being able to update some things. It's like the photoshop, it worked well but one day it stopped working and gave me errors. I had to wipe it out completely and get rid of every single file related to it on my hard drive using another piece of software. Anyways thanks for trying and I truly appreciate all your help.
JCBBEN

Post by JCBBEN »

I have Same Problem, Please read below:

Hello,
When I load up my Farming Simulator 2013 game, I can browse through the menus but when I click on on a career save game to load up, it freezes and a message pops up saying 'GIANTS Engine has stopped working'. The same thing occurs when I try to load a multiplayer game.

Someone Please Help,
I am devastated and really want to play the game,
:frown: *thumbsdown* :frown: *thumbsdown*

Thank you very Much,
Ben!
I love playing Farming Simulator 2011 and 2013 games! If you can help me with anything please do!
awatland

Post by awatland »

I am also receiving this and have eliminated all mods as well as old saved games etc. All drivers have been updated.

Here is the log:

GIANTS Engine Runtime 5.0.1 (build date: Mar 28 2014)
Copyright (c) 2008-2012, GIANTS Software GmbH (www.giants-software.com), All Rights Reserved.
Copyright (c) 2003-2012, Christian Ammann and Stefan Geiger, All Rights Reserved.
Application: FarmingSimulator2013
Main System
Cpu Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
Cpu Core(s): 4 @ 2.2 GHZ
Physics System
Driver: NVIDIA PhysX Runtime
Version: 2.8.4
Thread(s): 2
Input System
Keyboard enabled
Mouse enabled
Gamepad/Joystick disabled
Force Feedback disabled
Sound System
Driver: OpenAL
Version: 1.1
Device: Generic Software
Max. sources: 256
Render System
Driver: OpenGL
Card Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Version: 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2418
GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc not supported
GL_ARB_instanced_arrays not supported
GL_NV_vertex_program2_option not supported
GL_NV_vertex_program3 not supported
max_texture_layers: 8
GL_ATI_texture_float not supported
OpenGL initialization successful
Hardware Profile
Level: Low (forced)
View Distance Coeff: 0.750000
Shadow Quality: 0.000000
Skip Mipmaps: 1
LOD Distance Coeff: 0.750000
Terrain LOD Distance Coeff: 0.750000
Foliage View Distance Coeff: 1.000000
Farming Simulator 2013
Version: 2.1.0.2 RC3
Available Languages: en fr es it
Language: en
Game vehicle types loaded
Mod directory: C:/Users/JeanetteEllerWatland/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods
Load dlc: pdlc_titaniumAddon
Load dlc: pdlc_ursusAddon