Cow farming, What do i need?

mayoollie

Re: Cow farming, What do i need?

Post by mayoollie »

Front loader, telehandler won't make any difference they all work the same.

If it was me with a small herd of cows, I would concentrate on learning to grow and make use of grass as it regrows and does not need to be re-drilled.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
Nina

Post by Nina »

not the agrofarm.. get the agrovector. the agrofarm makes a good tractor when it doesnt mess with the front attached equipment, but is only okay as a FEL. however the agrovector is a supurb FEL but not a tractor at all... spend the extra money and get a second tractor and an agrovector rather then getting the agrofarm.
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

Nina, can I tip grass into the biogas plant, or use a mixed ration in it? Just wondering about how the cow system would work with my BGA enterprise before I go buying cows or spending more money on machines.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
Top Soil

Post by Top Soil »

You can use grass at biogas to create silage in the concrete silos, but I don't think you can dump grass strait into the hopper and be paid for it. I did dump some manure in there once, and got paid about 15 dollars per 1000 (i.e. basically nothing). Could probably waste mixed feed that way too, but again it's just throwing away valuable material.

Cows eat about 330 or so mixed feed per day, so if you want a large herd you'll want to keep all the mixed feed you can. Store is as stacks of hay bales and silage in the concrete silo if you don't have an immediate use for it.

I use the biogas plant for money, pure and simple. I chaff corn (or whatever) and turn that into large profits via fermenting it into silage. I did one load with the tiny FEL I owned, and use the first batch of profit to buy the Lizard loader. I use the silo at the cow pasture for making the silage I want to put into mixed feed. (the bi-product of selling silage to biogas is liquid manure, you get 30% of volume. But I no longer use manure for fertiliser as spray is cheap and LOTS faster)
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

Thanks Top soil, so can I harvest grass using a forage wagon and then put it into the biogas clamps to make silage? Thanks again.
Mieter

Post by Mieter »

Hi guys!

I have one queston: everybody is talking about bedding for the cows. Now I have the entry level foraging wagon, the Bergmann Shuttle 900K, but I can't figure out how/where to dump the straw so it makes bedding. Please help out poor me :)

I wish the game would come with a waaay more in-depth tutorial, because even though I have spent many hours in FS 2011, there are still equipment and jobs in FS 2013 that I have no clue about.
Nina

Post by Nina »

I find that the agrovector is better then the agrofarm.
ablebaker

Post by ablebaker »

I think you did what I did - bought the wrong wagon. The Bergmann Shuttle 900K won't dump straw in the cow trough. You need one of the others that says "Dual Purpose". I do this all the time in this game. The descriptions of the tools is sort of vague. I have bought wrong sowing machines too. Some cultitivate - some don't.
Mieter

Post by Mieter »

Ablebaker: thanks! Yes, I agree, the descriptions need to be more... descriptive. I bought the HORSCH Joker culivator and the Amazone D9 Seed Drill, and thought to myself "oh, in FS2011 the seed drill was capable of cultivating as well, and I see the ridge markers on this too, so I will just sell the Joker". I don't have to say what a big surprise it was when I found out that the seed drill is just a regular sower... and that I can't seed corn with it, so I deinitely have to buy the Joker back...

They need to tell us this stuff in a tutorial, because I'm not the type of person who reads through every single item in the store, I only read the next one or two items, because those will be the ones I'm buying next. And quite frankly, it didn't kick in that corn wasn't mentioned in the description, I was too used to FS 2011 stuff.
Mieter

Post by Mieter »

I just checked, the Bergmann shuttle is a "multi-purpose" trailer, the others are "dual-purpose" wagons. All of the "usage" tabs say the same:
"Loading and transporting grass, hay, straw or chaff."

Dual-purpose means that the trailer has only two (2) purposes.
Multi-purpose means that that the trailer has more than one use, but usually more than 2.

I think it is only a bug that hopefully will get fixed soon.
ablebaker

Post by ablebaker »

This Dual/Multi has me confused too. I am guessing that in this context "multi" indicates can pickup and carry various plant material, whereas "dual" indicates that it can both pick up (forage) and distribute. When the "dual" wagon is backed up to the cow trough, it can throw the straw around the area. So I am guessing it has a special mechanism to do this.

Another thing to watch is how high the sides are. The pipe out on some harvesters cannot reach up to the high walled wagons. Just found this out for the beet harvester. So back I go to the tractor store for yet another wagon.
Mieter

Post by Mieter »

Well, that is just ridiculous! I was like, okay, so I won't do straw, I will just mow some grass and feed the cows. Guess what! The Shuttle can't even dump the grass there! So what is the purpose of this thing? Its description should be this:

"The Bergmann Shuttle 900 K is basically a trailer that can pick up straw, hay and grass, but it can only unload at the farm! And it's not even a trailer, because you can't pick up regular grain with it! So don't waste your money, gather 8K more and buy the Krone Dual-Purpose!"

Now I will go and edit my savegame, so I can get back all the money I wasted on this thing. Ridiculous.
ms0556

Post by ms0556 »

[quote="BCRancher"]

(but the forage shed mod really makes this work by giving you a place to store loose material)

Hi BCRancher,

where did you find the Forage Shed Mod? I have looked, and Googled but cannot find one, I would love to have one.

Regards,
Cpt.Ass
Boardurlaub/Boardholidays

Post by Cpt.Ass »

ms0556 wrote:
BCRancher wrote:
(but the forage shed mod really makes this work by giving you a place to store loose material)

Hi BCRancher,

where did you find the Forage Shed Mod? I have looked, and Googled but cannot find one, I would love to have one.

Regards,
Im sure you need to edit it in the map you play by yourself.. But i know that the new Two Rivers map and the Platinum Xtreme V 3.2 have them. And they are pretty handy :)

Heres some links tho:

Futterlager: http://www.modhoster.de/mods/futterlager--3

Two Rivers: http://www.modhoster.de/mods/two-rivers--3

Platinum Xtreme: http://www.modhoster.de/mods/platinum-xtreme-iii--2
Steam: mikerowe666 - feel free to add me.
ms0556

Post by ms0556 »

Thank you cpt.Ass,

Downloaded and installed, I put it at the cow pasture. have not had time to try it out yet (had to go to work) ill try it tomorrow.

Regards,