Another Question For RL Farmers

adammac5858

Another Question For RL Farmers

Post by adammac5858 »

Right to repair? I didn't know anything about it until now. I research Farming Sim stuff so much Google suggested this article haha! :lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... 00-tractor

But this sounds like some serious stuff. I never connected farming to big data, and never realized large brands had remote access to the machinery directly. This article was very insightful to someone like me who, outside of you all, don't talk to real life farmers. Since I talk to you all, I just wanted to see if you'd offer your opinions on it. If you don't mind of course.

I AM NOT trying to start a fight or political argument, I just want you RL farmers to provide me some insight!

Edit don_apple: thread moved to ‚Off-Topic‘, since it is not directly realated to the game.
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Another Question For RL Farmers

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I haven't read the article just the headline, but there are so many computer codes that can stop your operation and the only way it gets fixed is by the manufacturers. They can access your tractor if you have the green star connected, so if it isn't connected then they can't access it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I'm happy none of our tractors have that computer stuff. Something breaks, we fix it. If it is something we cannot fix because of tools, ect, thats when we call the dealer.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Read that article yesterday. It is becoming a big deal now with all the locked coding on new tractors
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
adammac5858

Post by adammac5858 »

The amount of data they are farming (pun TOTALLY intended) is scary. I understand where JD and big companies are coming from, but why the secrecy? Why hide it from people who pay huge amounts of money for the equipment, until someone leaks it and then they come out and admit they are collecting.

To all of you RL farmers, thanks. I don't understand or know half the **** you all have to deal with on a technical/technological standpoint. But I FIRMLY believe everyone has the right to repair.
FS17 on PS4
FS19 on Xbox Series X.
Xbox: Macdizzle58
Also logging some hours in Flight Simulator
Modders: THANK. YOU.
Illinois Farmer

Jd has apps and websites that you can access all the data your monitor has collected for you. Like how much fertilizer you use, what seed and where, yields, how much rain, service intervals, fuel usage and compares it over the years.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I think they just don’t want people messing with the code because it f they didn’t know what they’re doing (not saying they don’t), then something doesn’t change that causes an issue with the operation
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Not a RL farmer, but seen enough videos to understand how this could be a total pain. If you're in the middle of field work and something goes haywire, you don't have time to wait a couple of weeks for the dealership to have an opening to fix it so you can get back to work.

On a side note, I have always been a firm believer that if you OWN something, the manufacturer should not prohibit you from working on it yourself. It's yours and they certainly aren't helping to pay operational costs. But maybe that's just me.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

If you have a good relationship with your dealer and they understand the importance they will come out right away to fix it, at least that's how the dealers work around here. We do business at jd mostly, then case, NH, then cat.
Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

Another point to remember is if the farmer did start digging about in the guts of a machine & broke something his warranty would be void, it would leave the door wide open to fraudulent warranty claims against the manufacturer which could cost them a fortune in avoidable repairs
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Sure, I get the warranty thing, but once it's out of warranty, the manufacturer really shouldn't have a say.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I don’t think any of the tractors with the locked code are out of warranty yet though, too new

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I’m not a John Deere fan and I went with a challenger tractor last time around because I’m pi** off at case as well with some decisions they’ve made. I’m also a construction worker so when it comes down to that my brand I choose is mostly performance driven. Now that I have that out of the way, if their main reason is safety then how is it possible that the company I work for can access all of caterpillars software and make changes but farmers can’t with John Deere? What makes a farm shop different from ours? Another reason they list is they might wreck their machine but that makes no sense whatsoever from the beginning of warranty’s there has been clauses in them to void the warranty for self inflicted damage what makes this any different than removing the oil plug before operating. I for one hope the guy wins and knocks them down a peg, the precedent John Deere winning would set could have some terrible consequences for what it means to buy something.
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Simply comes down to companies trying to control as much of the profit steam as possible with the Boogeyman scare of emissions.

There is more money to be made in the service and repair of the machine over the decades than its initial manufacture and sale.

How dare you fix it yourself.
Or pay an independent mechanic to repair.

Follow the money.... They want it...all.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.