Marwell Manor

Crosscheck

Marwell Manor

Post by Crosscheck »

Okay, so this is a bit random. I’m a big player of strategy games, especially those from Paradox. Now, one thing to know is that those games have a thriving subculture of the “AAR”. There are entire forum sections On PI’s site devoted to AARs. Since I recently started playing FS19, and got semi-addicted fairly quickly, I started to do the same thing on a whim. Below is a bit I wrote while I sitting in the sun, socially-distancing from reality. I’m not sure if I will continue with the next segment, but I thought I would post this anyway. Keep in mind that I write, well, to pay my bills. Continuing to put in the time and effort on this will depend, I guess, on the reaction I get here (if any)...and on my continued addition, of course:

I’m a new player to FS19. As I sit down to write this first “chapter” of an AAR for the game, I have played exactly one map (Sussex Farms) for one in-game “year”. I still don’t know what the hell I’m doing, to be honest. But, hey, if I have to learn and make things up as I go along, then why shouldn’t my protagonist, as well?

At any rate, a bit of fun storytelling where I (try to) recount just how badly I can screw up at something I enjoy but know very little about...

Chapter 1 — Uncle Vic, Is That You?

Did you remember that one relative? You know the one I’m talking about, the one who scared the hell out of you as a kid?

For me, that was my great-uncle. I met the man once, when I was nine. We went to his farm in England, to pay our respects, as my father put it, to our family, and to the old family home. My great-uncle — Uncle Vic, to my Dad — met us at Heathrow. He smelled like pipes and old socks...and that is, honestly, pretty much all I remember. Well, that and the fact that he looked a lot like Freddie Krueger. Thank God for my GameBoy.

Fast forward, then, twenty years.

I’m still as single as I was when I was nine, but the money is a hell of a lot better. I build bridges, you see. Well, I don’t “build” them, I just design them. It ain’t glamorous, no sir, but it does garner enough to pay for a nice condo, a nicer car, and the odd bit of travel to far-more-interesting places.

The bell ringing at the door, then. Me, still in bed and without my first of cup of coffee. It took a few minutes to figure out to work the deadbolt...

“Sign here,” the man ordered, proffering a fancy clipboard. His voice was serious. His suit was serious. stuff, he was serious.

What the hell?

I signed, of course.

A huge file he handed me, all wrapped up in a heavy envelope. I’m not sure what was worse: my confusion, or my need for coffee. Screw it, when you can’t decide, you work on both at the same time.

A deep gulp, finally, of that lifesaving brew and I opened the envelope to pour its contents onto the counter.

Papers. Certificates. Bills. Deeds. Even some heavy, weird thing I could barely read...a Letter Patent, it called itself.

Wait...

What the hell?

A letter I found, finally, under all the detritus I couldn’t understand. A note from a law firm in London. Lawyer, solicitor, *censored*, whatever you choose to call them, they’re the same everywhere in the world. You always read their stuff — carefully — but you never, ever trust them.

Blah...blah...Hamphire, UK...blah...blah...Marwell...even more blah, blah...wait, go back a bit. Skip the lawyerly blah-blah stuff, what the hell did that one paragraph say?

Baron Marwell. Of Marwell Manor.

Huh?

I build bridges, for Pete’s sake!

I read the letter again. And again. And yet again. Then I checked the deeds. Then I read it all again. There was a note, even, from Uncle Vic, in a spidery, struggling hand that was all-but impossible to read.

“...resuscitate the manor...succeed where I could not...better at selling the manor than working it... Congratulations, Baron Marwell. Now get to work.”

I don’t remember a damned thing from the next couple of weeks. A leave-of-absence from my job. A renter for my condo. Some stupid rom-com on the flight. A big Land Rover to pick me up from the airport, and a man who took the “serious” thing and turned it up to eleven. More papers to sign, more people to see. A flurry of names and faces, of facts and figures, and not a single bit of made it through my skull.

No, I can’t remember a damned thing from that frantic, hectic period. All I can remember is waking up in bed to the ringing doorbell, and then...

And then...

Here I stand, in this muddy, wet yard, surrounded by rusting sheds and looming machinery.

What the hell do I know about farming? I build freaking bridges!

Chapter 2 — Wait, What The Hell is A Combine?!

*pending*
Deadeye

Re: Marwell Manor

Post by Deadeye »

Interesting idea. Look forward to reading the rest of your "story". I found it quite entertaining.

Don't forget, if you every get *really* stuck, and just can't figure something out, give us a holler on the forum. There's plenty of people more than willing to help. Welcome to the forum by the way.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel