Rolling do anything after you've de-rocked the field?

Pwnocchio

Rolling do anything after you've de-rocked the field?

Post by Pwnocchio »

If I've used a rock picker to re-rock the field is there any benefit to rolling the field after seeding?
FarmerJohn89

Re: Rolling do anything after you've de-rocked the field?

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Yeah like a 5% yield boost.
So always worth doing. Same with mulching gets you another 5%.
NateS

Post by NateS »

According to the Tutorial on their website, rolling AFTER seeding gives a yield increase.
PC & PS4
Pwnocchio

Post by Pwnocchio »

Thanks fellers.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

The yield increase is 2.5%, not 5%. In game help, written months ago, is wrong. Check FS Academy for the most accurate and up to date info.
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

NateS wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:54 pm According to the Tutorial on their website, rolling AFTER seeding gives a yield increase.
This is what's confusing. Rolling gets rid of rocks, which should be done before seeding, and after seeding to get the increased yield. Rolling twice seems a waste of time to me.
AndOnTheDrums

Post by AndOnTheDrums »

I thought Id read that you can roll before or after seeding and still get the yield boost.
ace54858

Post by ace54858 »

dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:37 pm The yield increase is 2.5%, not 5%. In game help, written months ago, is wrong. Check FS Academy for the most accurate and up to date info.
it's 5% the FS Acadaemy doesn't say what % other then Regular rollers are used after sowing, when the field is already cultivated and the seeds are in the soil. With a roller, you condense the soil, and therefore increase its quality to increase the yield.

but on here https://guides.gamepressure.com/farming ... p?ID=62040 say's 5% and of course that site also has other stuff covered like how big fields are on all 3 base game maps.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

jeremyj621 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:24 pm This is what's confusing. Rolling gets rid of rocks, which should be done before seeding, and after seeding to get the increased yield. Rolling twice seems a waste of time to me.
Irl if the seeder or planter is able to skip over the rocks then that's good otherwise they need to be removed. Rolling is used to just push them back, so you do that not fit the seeder or planter benefit, but for your platform head on the combine, so you can set that low to the ground without worrying if a rock going through the combine. That's why I never plant beans or wheat on some hilly ground. I don't own a roller irl.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

I tested it. Rolling BEFORE seeding (shows seedbed in map) WILL give you the 2.5% boost. I already proved it.

* Plough
* Remove stones (must be done at this point due to bug)
* Roll (gives seedbed)
* Seed + fert
* Second pass fert
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

jeremyj621 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:24 pm
NateS wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:54 pm According to the Tutorial on their website, rolling AFTER seeding gives a yield increase.
This is what's confusing. Rolling gets rid of rocks, which should be done before seeding, and after seeding to get the increased yield. Rolling twice seems a waste of time to me.
IRL the planter or drill can bring rocks up, that’s why we roll last. We do fall tillage, pick big rock in spring, spring tillage, pick smaller rock, lay down field anywhere a mess was made digging out any big rocks, plant, then roll
BicentennialMan

Post by BicentennialMan »

don't forget about BEE's

The most direct benefit to the beehives is the honey that they produce. However, there are some secondary bonuses that you can accrue from these yellow and black insects. Crops such as canola, sunflowers and potato, have a larger yield when they’re within a certain range of beehives. 5% yield bonus think it stack to
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

I saw a disturbing video of someone who tested mulching with a direct drill, and he was getting -2.5% from the mulching. He showed yields from 6 tests on 3 different crops...
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

ace54858 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:20 am
dan1108 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:37 pm The yield increase is 2.5%, not 5%. In game help, written months ago, is wrong. Check FS Academy for the most accurate and up to date info.
it's 5% the FS Acadaemy doesn't say what % other then Regular rollers are used after sowing, when the field is already cultivated and the seeds are in the soil. With a roller, you condense the soil, and therefore increase its quality to increase the yield.

but on here https://guides.gamepressure.com/farming ... p?ID=62040 say's 5% and of course that site also has other stuff covered like how big fields are on all 3 base game maps.
https://farming-simulator.com/newsArtic ... ews_id=291\
2.5% documented by Giants - the in-game help is probably months old, and they decided to not waste their time changing the game but rather start FS Academy. The Academy is certainly Giants' defact documentation for the game. In game help is a bit worse than 19.
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

dan1108 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:39 am I saw a disturbing video of someone who tested mulching with a direct drill, and he was getting -2.5% from the mulching. He showed yields from 6 tests on 3 different crops...
Wow. That's a new level of broken.
BicentennialMan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:32 am don't forget about BEE's

The most direct benefit to the beehives is the honey that they produce. However, there are some secondary bonuses that you can accrue from these yellow and black insects. Crops such as canola, sunflowers and potato, have a larger yield when they’re within a certain range of beehives. 5% yield bonus think it stack to
I read this before. I'm going to seriously look at this!
Mwal wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:42 am IRL the planter or drill can bring rocks up, that’s why we roll last. We do fall tillage, pick big rock in spring, spring tillage, pick smaller rock, lay down field anywhere a mess was made digging out any big rocks, plant, then roll
Interesting! Thanks!