Log prices

BCRancher

Log prices

Post by BCRancher »

Has anyone been able to find a forumla for log prices? I've been playing around with it and it seems that now Giants has tied log prices to chip prices. While I understand and agree that the log price was a little high before, the current prices are unrealistic (if indeed they are tied to chip prices).
Bixillarla

Re: Log prices

Post by Bixillarla »

Log prices are determined by the type of tree and if you removed the branches or not.
BCRancher

Post by BCRancher »

you are right, I should have been more specific - although, I was wrong so it doesnt matter.

In my testing I was using full growth fir (that I planted). It appeared that I was getting the same price per log as I would have gotten in wood chips (save-sell log->load-chip logs-compare) However after I believed it maybe tied to wood chips I decided to check the .xml and now I believe the price *may* be controlled by the treesapling variable which has an adjustable price like the other fruits. I modified mine to add a 1k place and got an absurdly low amount for my logs. Since at this point I dont know how strongly I feel about modifying the .xml to "fix" what I think is incorrect - over accepting that the developer didnt see it the same way as I did and just moving on. I loaded an unmodified .xml and have left it for now. If forestry continues to be more tedious than it's worth (compared to other avenues of income) I may indeed play with it some more to get a more justifiable outcome.

The problem I have with it - is that I dont exploit in any way. I plant the tree's, wait the 10 or so in game days (the tree's grow in the background while I do other things), and then harvest 5 or 6 at a time (that's all my patience can bear) with the timber runner, my sturdy chainsaw and a wheel loader. The biggest reason it is tedious is because of collisions. The wheel loader doesnt lift quite high enough, causing some conflict with the timber runner unless things are just right. The forks dont close tight enough, which can cause a few different issues. The stumps cant be cut low enough for the loader to not catch on them ... and there's a few dozen more ways it can get irritating fast. (today my whole trailer fell over sideways with the logs all spilling out and rolling for a ways.. sigh.)
paddy.joe

Post by paddy.joe »

Hey BC Rancher, if you're having trouble with the standard log fork for the liebherr theres a good mod you can get, think its called "forest uploader" or something, I'll see if I can find a link

EDIT; Here we are, http://fs15.lt/en/uploader-forest-v-3-0/
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

I am trying to do without any other mods except for those provided with the game. I don't know about the mods when I continue a game that are in the menu. supposedly some are free so I will check that out. I have planted a field to sapplings that are growing now. I was going to try making wood chips when the hundred trees are ready. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
BCRancher

Post by BCRancher »

paddy.joe wrote:Hey BC Rancher, if you're having trouble with the standard log fork for the liebherr theres a good mod you can get, think its called "forest uploader" or something, I'll see if I can find a link

EDIT; Here we are, http://fs15.lt/en/uploader-forest-v-3-0/

Thanks, downloading - will give it a try later :)
Fireman_DJ

Post by Fireman_DJ »

There are a lot of mods uploaded that aren't the greatest and have problems, but the mods at the Giants website and at fs-uk.com are all tested.
Once you have a Scorpion King and the Buffalo, forestry is pretty easy.

Personally I run modded versions of the Scorpion King and Buffalo. My Scorpion King can manually tilt the head up and down and grab on to logs without cutting them.
I also have a downloaded mod of an excavator with log grab. Loading trailers is so much easier with the right tools.