What's the best way to do forestry?

ollie11

What's the best way to do forestry?

Post by ollie11 »

Hi Guys,

I have been trying a lot of forestry, but each way seems really difficult, so hopefully you can provide some advice on what you do/what is a good idea.
I've tried:
-Using the woodchipper (a bit buggy and time consuming)
-Using the ScorpionKing to cut trees straight onto the Buffalo, but if you cut a tree down and get out, the harvester drops it, and it's hard to know where to put the Buffalo
-Cutting trees down and picking them up with the Buffalo

I have noticed, like I said before, the chipper is really hard to use, and so is the wheel loader. The attachment is huge and it always drops logs.

Hopefully you can help me out here with some useful advice

Thanks, Ollie
millsy0303

Re: What's the best way to do forestry?

Post by millsy0303 »

The way I do forestry is by cutting down the pine trees with a chainsaw, and picking them up and transporting with the logging crane trailer. It isn't very finicky and is quite easy once you get the hang of it.
MajSolo

Post by MajSolo »

front loader is easier to use then scorpion or other equipment with cranes.
Fireman_DJ

Post by Fireman_DJ »

I find the cranes easier to use, but I also have dual joysticks to control them with.

I also have a edited Scorpion King that can pitch it's harvester head down to pick up logs AND doesn't close it's jaws fully when turned off so it can pick up and drop logs just like the Buffalo can.

The only thing that I'm finding hard about it at the moment is I've in the past used the ISO controls pattern, but as Australia normally uses the SAE pattern I've swapped so if and when I use the real machines I won't need to retrain my brain. (The controls are almost the same, but the boom and stick controls are swapped over).

Ultimately, it's up to you based on what you find easiest and the most enjoyable. I will say that if I had to use a mouse for the crane controls, I'd give up and not buy the game ever again. If I was using the keyboard with the WASD and Arrow keys as my two "control sticks" it'd be a pain, but manageable. Having actual joysticks allows you to control the movement speed and control multiple axis of movement all at the same time. It's worth the investment!
Case1370

Post by Case1370 »

Forestry just take time and practice with the equipment, and most people that play this game don't seem to have a lot of patience, so anything that actually take some thinking and work they don't like. Yes there is some things that can get annoying with logs where they have a tendency to not have enough weight to them and they bounce around, but other than that, its mainly just something that's time consuming, and something you cant rush. Best way to get started is to start out with the chainsaw and the cheap logging trailer, or if you prefer use a loader instead of the crane on the trailer to load logs. Then just work your way up to the big stuff. As for the wood chipper, I cant really take on it much, as I have not used it, yet. Using the crane just takes practice to get use to, and not something you can just whip around, and be a ram rod with.
Fauztran

Post by Fauztran »

I'm chiming in, but not as an expert by any means.

The farming aspect of the game requires light management which is great, but the forestry aspect of the game is all micromanagement. Although you can pull in some serious money, you're really working for it.

To start, chainsaw and self loading trailer are key. You can cut the fir trees near the sawmill and bring them to the marked deposit area beside the train. You could dump them into the pond too, but you don't get the "train bonus" when you dispatch the train.

This is pretty much the bread and butter.

When you get into the Ponsees, you're simply upgrading. I've theorized using the Scorpion King as you mentioned and poop the logs right into the Buffalo, but I suspect that's easier said than done. If that is the case, try and keep them log piles semi organized, and then clean up with the Buffalo later.

What I haven't tried is the telehandler and logging truck. Not sure how well balanced that telehandler is.

I don't think there is a climax point in the forestry aspect, like there in the farming, where you suddenly start to make ridiculous money. It improves along with your equipment, but plateaus it seems. Purely based on the time you put into it. You then realize that you put a lot of time in to get that money, unlike the farming part which is more residual. Forestry can get tedious and tiresome, but that's when you switch it up. Do some missions, or just focus on farming.
Whoa! They come with back hoes?!
Started playing since FS2011. Now Playing FS19 on and off.
I play as "Fauz" or " Papa" in Multiplayer
STEAM Id: Fauztran
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Fauztran wrote:/snip..... as you mentioned and poop the logs right into the Buffalo, ........./snip
Man I had to reach for a tissue there, had tears to wipe up. That must really hurt............

Cheers :hi:
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
Fauztran

Post by Fauztran »

Well, I couldn't come up with another term so I had to describe how it looks. Either way, we're dealing with logs. :geeknew:
Whoa! They come with back hoes?!
Started playing since FS2011. Now Playing FS19 on and off.
I play as "Fauz" or " Papa" in Multiplayer
STEAM Id: Fauztran
Fireman_DJ

Post by Fireman_DJ »

Try pop or place or cut.
BCRancher

Post by BCRancher »

Until someone makes a double logging trailer that has properly spaced supports so the loader attatchment actually fits between them - it's going to be work no matter how you do it. Persevere and make lotsa cash... relatively at least..
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

The Scorpion King with Wheel loader and a Timber Runner trailer is the best combo. 8m length logs and use this mod http://lsmod2015.com/uploader-forest-v3-0/. It an amazing mod that allows the Wheel Loader to pick up many logs in a single run. Also find the counter weight. for the Wheel Loader as well so you don't tip it when picking up bigger loads.
Menacing Scarab

Post by Menacing Scarab »

The uploader mod is probably good if you have the money to invest in a wheel loader, but if you want a cheaper solution: http://www.modhoster.com/mods/lizard-po ... eskoplader and http://www.modhoster.com/mods/stoll-poltergabel are log forks for telehandler and frontloader, respectively, that have a longer thumb for more easily grabbing logs on the ground. Pair that with this modified Timber Runner http://gamesmods.net/farming-simulator- ... -wide.html and you can easily load a the timber runner and have it look like this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =363165467. I use the front loader log fork with the longer thumb on a NH T6.160 to load that modified Timber Runner. I have very few problems doing so. It may also be worth mentioning that I use a mod Scorpion King capable of cutting logs to 10 meters long which is what those shown in the picture are.
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

Menacing Scarab wrote:The uploader mod is probably good if you have the money to invest in a wheel loader, but if you want a cheaper solution: http://www.modhoster.com/mods/lizard-po ... eskoplader and http://www.modhoster.com/mods/stoll-poltergabel are log forks for telehandler and frontloader, respectively, that have a longer thumb for more easily grabbing logs on the ground. Pair that with this modified Timber Runner http://gamesmods.net/farming-simulator- ... -wide.html and you can easily load a the timber runner and have it look like this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =363165467. I use the front loader log fork with the longer thumb on a NH T6.160 to load that modified Timber Runner. I have very few problems doing so. It may also be worth mentioning that I use a mod Scorpion King capable of cutting logs to 10 meters long which is what those shown in the picture are.
Those Mods look good except for the timber runner with some of its side braces missing. The wheel loader can easily get high enough to drop logs into the trailer granter you are good at using it. I just feel that modded trailer will end with more of them accidentally falling out.
Menacing Scarab

Post by Menacing Scarab »

Yeah if you don't use long enough logs I'm sure they would. Mine are 10 meter logs and after hauling 4 loads with that trailer I have yet to have anything fall out of it. I also drive really carefully with it though making sure to slow way down when I get ready to make a turn.
ollie11

Post by ollie11 »

Menacing Scarab wrote:Have it look like this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =363165467.
Thanks for all of your Mod links - I'll definitely check those out. BTW, how did you paint that T8.320 red? As far as I know they only come in blue

Ollie