Keeping track of rain in mm

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
TheSuBBie

Re: Keeping track of rain in mm

Post by TheSuBBie »

Looking at the enviroment.xml if you want to be accurate you will have to also take into account the variation used by the game at that time (weight,time min/max,temperature,dropScale etc).

I suppose a general way of doing it would be dropScale x duration (maxHours-minHours)
for example using a dropScale of 0.5 and assuming this would also equate to 0.5mm then

0.5 x 4 = 2mm of rain over four hours

obviously you would have to work out a more realsitic value for rainfall amount.
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

Yes off course. But I realised to actually add other “growth” stages like “Wilting” and to adjust future yields per crop basis is a massive challenge. I have no problem modding foliage. The number of variables affecting crop health at every change is overwhelming. I was farmer in real life and know what I’m talking about and the lack of this reality in FS22 has always bothered me. Its to “easy”. Do you know how it feels like when a massive hail storm destroys 80% of your crop?
Do you know how much I miss bird live? Insects everywhere. Butterflies in the meadows. List go on…
XPModder

Post by XPModder »

We are getting off-topic for this thread, but Id love to see more live in the game. You know, more birds, more wildlife, more insects, all of it!
I imagine most insects could be done as particle effects and theoretically shouldnt be to hard to implement...
I dont think particle effects can be animated though, so something like butterflies, where you can actually easily see the movement of the wings would probably be harder...
Like flies and other small insects are small enough that you cant actually see the movement of the wings anyways, so I recon one wouldnt need to animate them at all...
The hardest thing would be handling the spawning of them, as youd want to have eg relatively many insects around flowers etc and only a few just over the road or over a field (thats not in flower). Ideally they would be spawned only near the player and (if possible) immediately despawned when the player moves a certain distance away, to keep the performance impact as small as possible...
...I wonder how the game does the bees... They might be a good starting point to do something like that...

Also: Damn you! Now I want to make insects! I have a huge map project to finish and irl stuff upcoming...
Das Universum ist unvorstellbar groß und wir sind im Vergleich dazu winzig.

Daher kann mir jemand der unter uns Winzlingen Unterschiede in Hautfarbe oder Herkunft sucht, nur Leid tun, weil seine Sichtweise so begrenzt ist!

Fremdenfeindlichkeit ist Menschenfeindlichkeit!
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Didn't we have butterflys in a previous version of FS think it was 13
XPModder

Post by XPModder »

Not that I can remember...
It was a big deal when FS22 had the deer as wildlife, as FS never had any wildlife before...

Anyways, I checked and the bees are just particle effects. (They can be found in data/effects/bees)
So other insects would be fairly easy to implement (just needs a texture and i3d). As I said above, I think the hard part would be the spawning...
Youd have to have a particle emitter somewhere (probably on/near the player) which requires a shape (so has to be an i3d, cant be done in lua alone) and then youd have to set the parameters in a way that spawns not too many and that they spawn in sensible locations...
I imagine multiplayer support would be particularly weird if you dont want to see just like a cloud of insects following another player around...
You wouldnt want to spawn them in fixed locations in the world, as there is no point in having insects far away from the player and unless it should look like all the insects are coming from one small point somewhere it would have to be a large emitter...
So basically youd have to somehow "attach" a particle emitter to the player and then spawn insects from that. Not sure if you need multiple emitters for multiple particle types (ie different insects)

Butterflies would be an entirely different problem... They would have to work somewhat similar to the deer, as they would have to be animated 3d objects in order to be able to flap their wings. At least I think so. I dont think particles can be animated...
Das Universum ist unvorstellbar groß und wir sind im Vergleich dazu winzig.

Daher kann mir jemand der unter uns Winzlingen Unterschiede in Hautfarbe oder Herkunft sucht, nur Leid tun, weil seine Sichtweise so begrenzt ist!

Fremdenfeindlichkeit ist Menschenfeindlichkeit!
Roesjka

Post by Roesjka »

If you introduce flying insects someone needs to make a flysquatter mod ;)
Lenovo Yoga 7735u - Debian testing/trixie - Wine-staging - FS19, FS22
Desktop - AMD 5800X - AMD RX 6900 XT - Debian testing/trixie - Wine-staging - FS19, FS22