Help!! Barley into silage

Rico4v4

Help!! Barley into silage

Post by Rico4v4 »

I'm currently harvesting my barley fields. I was under the impression that i could take the chaff from my harvested field, and dump it in the bunker at the bio plant. I've used the pottinger forest wagon to collect the rows of chaff after harvesting the barley, but the plant won't let me dump it in the bunkers. I'm using ctrl-i to force dump, but it starts to dump, and stops. The chaff never actually hits the ground, and the 'quantity' in my trailer never decreases.

What am i doing wrong?

Edit: I've also tried to dump the barley chaff just outside the bunker, and it works just fine. It just won't let me dump inside the long bunkers. :confusednew:
Rico4v4

Re: Help!! Barley into silage

Post by Rico4v4 »

I'm thinking i have got this all wrong. The swath from barley is actually straw. If so, it can be baled, but not wrapped... so there is no way to turn it into silage.

It would be great if someone who knew what they were doing would please confirm.
BitFarmer

Post by BitFarmer »

I'm pretty sure you need to harvest your barley with a Forage Harvester, which turns it into chaff, then empty that into the Biogas bunker.
jenna_q

Post by jenna_q »

Straw cannot be turned into silage in any way. It is only good to use as animal bedding or to sell as is. The only way to get usable chaff for silage from barley is a forager with the cutter header. However I wouldn't do that as it is more profitable to sell the Barley.
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Rico4v4

Post by Rico4v4 »

Ok, thanks jenna and Bit. I'll sell this batch of bales, and figure out the bedding for the next harvest.
Plasmatic

Post by Plasmatic »

Any crop can be turned into chaff, However, you need a forage harvester to do it. like the Krone X1100 with the XDisc header (or whatever it's called)

Harvesting with a normal harvester for usable crop does not allow you to make chaff, and as you found out, what is left behind when harvesting wheat and barley is straw, which cannot be chaffed (without mods) and thus cannot be turned into silage.. It can however be collected and sold, either from a loading wagon or as bales. (Afaik bales require more work but pay the same)

Easiest way to get silage to start is to mow grass, and either use a loading wagon and silage it in a silo, or use a round baler and wrap them (instant silage)
reider

Post by reider »

Generally use it as food or bedding. Dumped in a shed, with grass in another shed and silage mixed from either compressed and previously tented grass or corn to make silage which you dump in another shed. Mix the grass and silage, you don't need the straw but it can be used as a filler to make a full load. All parts when mixed in a specific percentage of each make TMR-Total Mixed Ration for the animals (Power food). So it could be said the straw left on the ground is or can be bedding or a constituent of TMR as a filler. Or at least that's what we did in FS15.... Bales can be mixed too.
The Canucks

Post by The Canucks »

Plasmatic wrote:Any crop can be turned into chaff, However, you need a forage harvester to do it. like the Krone X1100 with the XDisc header
I would like to correct this because the krone in fs17 is the X550 but there is also the NH and the Roslemash one also.
Info about me:
joined Nov 14 2016 and play on a laptop,
player name: Canuck
Canadien (apparently a big deal :lol: )
Knowlege: alot about tractors and cars/trucks :gamer: *thumbsup*
Pc specs:
AMD A8 7410 Quad-core prosseser and a AMD Radeon R5 graphics card.
6GB ram
Windows 10
Use a Xbox 360 controller
*thumbsup* :biggrin2: :lol:
Guil

Post by Guil »

The Canucks wrote:
Plasmatic wrote:Any crop can be turned into chaff, However, you need a forage harvester to do it. like the Krone X1100 with the XDisc header
I would like to correct this because the krone in fs17 is the X550 but there is also the NH and the Roslemash one also.
There's nothing to correct. The x1100 is on modhub and available for consoles.
The Canucks

Post by The Canucks »

Guil wrote:
The Canucks wrote:
There's nothing to correct. The x1100 is on modhub and available for consoles.
I know but I'm talking about the in-game harvesters
Info about me:
joined Nov 14 2016 and play on a laptop,
player name: Canuck
Canadien (apparently a big deal :lol: )
Knowlege: alot about tractors and cars/trucks :gamer: *thumbsup*
Pc specs:
AMD A8 7410 Quad-core prosseser and a AMD Radeon R5 graphics card.
6GB ram
Windows 10
Use a Xbox 360 controller
*thumbsup* :biggrin2: :lol:
Cbranscum1

Post by Cbranscum1 »

Correct me if im wrong
But I'm pretty sure with a forage harvested and the easy collect (3 meter) header. You can use a regular harvested to collect the barley and the forage harvester to collect the straw swath and doing so it turns the straw swath in to chaff which can then be dumped into the silage bunker and fermented in to silage
Pc
Rico4v4

Post by Rico4v4 »

Plasmatic wrote:Any crop can be turned into chaff, However, you need a forage harvester to do it. like the Krone X1100 with the XDisc header (or whatever it's called)

Harvesting with a normal harvester for usable crop does not allow you to make chaff, and as you found out, what is left behind when harvesting wheat and barley is straw, which cannot be chaffed (without mods) and thus cannot be turned into silage.. It can however be collected and sold, either from a loading wagon or as bales. (Afaik bales require more work but pay the same)

Easiest way to get silage to start is to mow grass, and either use a loading wagon and silage it in a silo, or use a round baler and wrap them (instant silage)

Wait, are you telling me i could have pulled my forage wagon up to my barn and sold it without baling?
Plasmatic

Post by Plasmatic »

Rico4v4 wrote:
Plasmatic wrote:Any crop can be turned into chaff, However, you need a forage harvester to do it. like the Krone X1100 with the XDisc header (or whatever it's called)

Wait, are you telling me i could have pulled my forage wagon up to my barn and sold it without baling?
Yes, forage wagons get a tip trigger at the haybarn selling place thingy.. Though like I said, I don't know if the prices are the same, the general balancing thought is "more work = more money" so bailing may just net you more profit..
Murph

Post by Murph »

Rico4v4 wrote:Wait, are you telling me i could have pulled my forage wagon up to my barn and sold it without baling?
Yeah, same as FS13 and FS15, you can just collect the straw in a self-loading forage wagon and tip it directly at the straw barn to sell it. It's not a huge income, but covers some of the cost of the crop cycle (sowing, fert, harvest) and helps make it less urgent to sell your grain immediately to cover costs (allowing you to wait for a good price or great demand before selling). If you are just going to immediately sell all of the straw from a harvest, I think it's much quicker and easier to sell it without baling (from nearby fields, at least). Bales may have an advantage via density when there's more distance involved (e.g. 16 bales on the Arcsin trailer is 64,000 l compared to smaller volume per trip using the wagons).
Mac user
John T.

Post by John T. »

Cbranscum1 wrote:Correct me if im wrong
But I'm pretty sure with a forage harvested and the easy collect (3 meter) header. You can use a regular harvested to collect the barley and the forage harvester to collect the straw swath and doing so it turns the straw swath in to chaff which can then be dumped into the silage bunker and fermented in to silage
I thought the same thing so I tried it but giants has changed it so the easy collect head will NO longer pick up straw windrows :( . heck that's where I got half of my chaff