Any maps on par with vanilla?

TurboJ

Any maps on par with vanilla?

Post by TurboJ »

I really want to enjoy this game but it seems I expect too much of the maps I play.

Basically it boils down to this. Vanilla maps are overall well made and they work as intended. They are visually pretty and have a lot of variation. But the field work aspect leaves a lot to be desired. Yes the fields work in gameplay terms but they don't look or feel real. And the fields look visually like they are one generation behind the rest of the map.

Many mod maps are out there that have good-looking and realistic fields, but then they utilize really low quality models and textures for buildings and roads etc. This again creates a problem where one part of the map looks up-to-date and the other part does not. It seems like 95% of mod maps fall behind the vanilla maps in terms of visuals not related to fields or woods.

Many mod maps also have game breaking bugs as well such as non-functioning workers, missing triggers etc.

I've spent more time than I care to admit searching for that one map that 'really works'. In no way do I wish to undermine all the good work modders have done. I simply want to find that one map that I don't need to give up anymore.

So I'm hoping you people can recommend me a map that is truly high quality. Never mind added functions or prepared for third party mods. Just quality, that's all.

All I want is vanilla functionality, good visual fidelity with added realism. Surely that can't be too much to ask for?
Last edited by TurboJ on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois Farmer

Re: Any maps on par with vanilla?

Post by Illinois Farmer »

What maps have you tried? Also there are other threads on which people gave suggested maps.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I think you'll find this has been an issue since Farm Sim began.

Default/Vanilla maps Versus Mod Maps...

GIANTS have the resources and skills to make lovely models for there maps. But they also make them to function with the games features at the expense of any realistic natural scenery and fields.
They do this because they are not interested in making the maps like that as they are more interested in gameplay, and also it is far easier for there AI to work the fields. They also feel it is easier for new players to get used to the game on that style of map than a more realistic looking one.

For mod maps instead of having an entire team of skilled devs behind the map, it is often just 1 person doing it as a hobby in there spare time. There knowledge maybe very limited. Often they do not have 3D modelling skills so are unable to make high quality 3D models for the map. Even if they do have that skill it takes too much time to do everything to such a high standard. The map would never get released. A detailed mod map now can easily take over thousand hours to make from start to finish. People rarely have that amount of time spare.

What mod maps are able to do is make the fields and natural scenery more realistic. However this will be at the expense of having the AI struggle to work on there own and maybe some gameplay features don't work as smoothly. (I.E. forestry)

On the one side you could say mod map makers should cater for the game, on the other maybe GIANTS should improve there game to work on maps that are more realistic.

All depends on your point of view and what you prefer.

What you need to decide is which map style you get the most enjoyment from.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Thank you for your comments!
Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm What maps have you tried? Also there are other threads on which people gave suggested maps.
It would be easier to say what maps I have not tried, and that would be to say most ModHub maps that have below 3.5 avg rating (gotta try to limit the time spent somehow). Have spent countless hours reading through map topics too. Always trying to find things I might have missed.

BulletBill wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:50 pm .....snip
What you need to decide is which map style you get the most enjoyment from.
That's a very good post right there. I must say I like your work on maps (such as Lone Oak). And I understand completely the problem regarding resources. One thing about the resources when creating mods is also how to stay motivated. I once started making a mod for another game and 300+ working hours later I realized it would take ten times as much time to get it ready for release. I know it can be tedious to iron out all the bugs and focus on quality. Developers and modders alike often end up just adding new features to their mods instead of perfecting what is already there, and it does make sense in a lot of ways.

Regarding the map I'm looking for: seeing as I'm happy with a lot of aspects of the vanilla maps, has anyone made a high quality edit of either of the standard FS19 maps? It seems to me you could achieve a really nice map if you added custom textures for ground, grass, crops, plants, trees etc - to a vanilla map. Maybe add terrain angles and possibly prepare a better placeable area somewhere. But even just a visual overhaul to Felsbrunn or Ravenport, to improve on the vegetation and crop stuff - I would imagine someone's done that but I haven't found it yet :/

Other than that, I suppose I'd be mainly looking for something that is vanilla+ in other ways. Such as utilizing the models made for vanilla retaining the quality textures, but on a custom environment that had better scenery etc.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

There are two I can recommend having a look at.
One is Hinterkaifeck and the other is Eiersholt
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I'd have to say if you've tried Oakfield, Sandy bay and Bessy Beneath and they don't meet your requirements that you are probably going to be disappointed.

I'd hazard a guess from your first post that it's the old "function vs form" argument, and you'll be on the other end of the scale from me; for me function gives immersion gives reality.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

*their

*their

*their
Ignorance is bliss
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The next DLC will have a giants map, maybe that will work for you.
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

I'm hoping the new DLC map will be good. I know many have been vocal about the DLC prices and stuff, but I would gladly pay full DLC price just for a single good map alone.

I'm also thankful for all the tips and comments I've been getting.

As for my current search for a map, I am trying to find something highly functional. Vanilla like in terms of gameplay. Worker friendly fields and the possibility for forestry. And really an edited vanilla map would be just fine. Are there any good ones out there? Or something that otherwise has all the vanilla functionality.

Don't need Seasons. Don't need production. Don't need any other extra features either, excepting that I do value terrain angles. But I do need vanilla functionality with current generation graphics. Sure, I could go and play either of the default maps, but there comes a point when there's a need for change.

Again, thanks for all your input.
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

You just have to look at Oakfield or Marwell for top quality maps. Includes multi terrain.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

iwan073 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:42 pm *their

*their

*their
I'd get hate if I did that. But it's pretty funny to me.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I personally like Goldcrest Valley. It was vanilla FS17. Converted for 19.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

*their

*their
You’re outrageously hilarious, yet concurrently pedantically prim.

I am extremely excited to see your next masterpiece map that exceeds the quality and quantity of Bill’s body of work over the years, so that random internet strangers can make snide remarks about your occasional grammatical inconsistencies!
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

*their

*their
Got to give people something to complain about... :lol:

Also is this account actually my wife's as she's always correcting my grammar... :lol:
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

DirectCedar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 am pedantically prim.
Speak English man. I have no idea what you just said 🤭

BulletBill wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 am
Got to give people something to complain about... :lol:

Also is this account actually my wife's as she's always correcting my grammar... :lol:
Psssst, Bill

It is me 🤫
Ignorance is bliss