A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: A 1975 Golddigging adventure (Western Wilds - Hard economy - 1975 scenario)

Post by humbe »

We noticed we had quite a bit of produce from the greenhouse, and figured we'd better sell them before they go bad, though prices are better in winter.

Earning $12.500 for that, we finally have enough to build a mill, which we've been looking forward to.

We did most of the work ourselves, though we got help with the moving parts in it, but we managed to build it at a bargain price of $20.020, all expenses included. We decided to dump around 10.000 liters of Sorghum in it to start producing flour. Should hopefully get us a bit better return for our farming efforts.

We might want to get rid of some trees around the mill. Tried to place it a bit away from the fields in hopes of making it easy to maneuver for field work without the mill getting in the way, but the trees behind here is likely blocking the wind somewhat..

I guess that's all that's planned for August '77.. In September we're going to sow some fields after oilseed has come up. I guess barley for chicken food. Maybe oats for the horses..
humbe

Post by humbe »

September 1977

Starting early again. Brenda is typically first up, taking the horses for a ride..

The skies look very interesting with the relighting mod.

We've got weeds in the fields we're sowing. We haven't sown yet, so considered just seeding, as I guess we'd get new weeds anyhow, but as it's quick work, we weeded first anyhow. Lets see if we still get weeds after sowing.

Fields 1 and 2 I think we'll grow barley for the chickens. I guess we could grow barley on field 5 too, as the chickens seems to eat a lot, but we got some Sorghum as backup chicken food that we can keep for safety, and I'm not sure we have enough oats to last until next chance, so think we'll sow oats on field 5. Field 9 we will try Canola for cash I think.. That is, process it to Canola oil in the mill first. Rest of the fields we can't harvest before next month..

Hmm.. Dunno what I was thinking. Not time to sow oats now.. We'll do barley on field 5 too, and do oats on one of the other fields currently not harvested yet.

Rolling, rolling, rolling.. Keep that engine turning.. So nice to work with field 1 and 2 that's stone free..

We'd want to fertilize the sown fields more though. I guess we should look into how much slurry and manure we have available..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Hmm.. Grew oilseed radish before sowing canola on field 9. But it was already mostly fertilized one step due to grass being there when plowing.. Turns out that parts went missing when we harvested oilseed. Grmpf.. Guess I knew but had forgotten..

That means we should fertilize that huge field, and cows aren't managing to produce enough manure/slurry to cover our new fields, so i guess solid fertilizer will likely be in order..

Actually.. Looks like we manage to completely fertilize field 9 with one load in the fertilizer.. This old fertilizer still working out ok.
humbe

Post by humbe »

October 1977

October came, and our Sunflowers field, our 3 Soyabeans fields and the beets were ready for harvest. Turns out the sugar beets were more work to harvest than all the rest put together even though it's the smallest field among them by far.

Guess I mighta not showcased this piece of equipment yet. An ancient beet harvester from 1940. Have been searching around for any newer technology to harvest beet but have yet to be found. One would think the world had moved forwards since then. I was kinda remembering the potato harvest which we had so much effort doing, and wasn't really looking forwards to harvesting beet. But as Bud said, we should test this old piece of equipment if we have it.. And while the plan was to get pigs to the farm, beets would probably make good food.

We drove around the field, but we failed to figure the machine out, and ended up just cutting the top of the plants, until we found the switch for making it actually dig the beets out of the ground too. Forgot the ctrl-i to make it spew out the harvest onto the ground. Once we figured that out, quite a bit of beets got dug up out of the ground, but the working width of the harvester is pretty narrow, and with all the beets being thrown around it was pretty tricky to cover the field. The field being small and not square did not help either.

But the harvest was far from done when we had gotten the beets above ground. We ended up with 43266 liters of sugar beet, and they all needed to be scooped up by our 1000 liters bucket. But how do farmers work this thing? From the cab, I can't seem to find a way to see the angle of the bucket and to actually pick up beet from the ground, the angle and height of the bucket seems to have to be pretty perfect. How do they do it in real life? I guess they might see the angle from position of a level within the vehicle? Seemed hard to gauge in game, so ended up using out of cab view quite a bit. Tried to put it down enough for it to raise tractor a bit of the ground and then go a bit back, but still it was hard to find correct angle.

Unloading on the trailer was also a bit strange. While the game may make it look like the contents flow down beyond the trailer on the far side, it actually stacks up way close to the tractor, as can be seen above. Driving even a bit further it looks like everything is thrown out on the other side. If I however position the tractor so it looks like the bucket drops the content in the middle of the trailer, I actually dump it underneath it. Seemed very strange, but at least consistent so I could work around it.

The harvester on the other hand, made short work of the Soybeans and Sunflowers. Well.. Coulda had a larger working width, but being able to hire a helper to drive if one tire, and having a decent grain storage helps a ton. Only issue I have with this machine is that it fails to stay still when the engine is running. If I fail to take over for helper quickly after grain tank gets full, he mighta have drifted 10 meters into the field in the meantime, and when I unload it, even when hitting the breaks, it keeps moving so I have to drive a bit to compensate. I can live with that though. Otherwise it's almost a bit too good, in terms of finding good upgrades before actually getting to pretty recent machines with 6m+ working width.

Getting a bit tired of handling the animals all the time. Granted, we can probably earn a few bucks with them, and the eggs the chicken produce is probably worth more than what they are eating (though I think I should check up on that), but with storage for their food can keep so little, and there's so few animals, it's a lot of work for little gain. Had an incident with the chickens where they feed bin emptied. They seem to have to be fed more than once a day. Plan was to get pigs too, but not so sure anymore. Should probably scale up the operation if the work should be worth the gain..

In total we got around 12200 liters of sunflower. Less than we hoped for, but we did not know what they yield was, 43266 liters of beets (why are they measuring harvest in liters?) and 28952 liters of soybeans total from the 3 fields. Sadly soybeans can't be turned into products worth more in our mill, but should net us some income at least. All in all, the harvest should be worth at least $60,000 if we find a decent price.

October is not done yet though. Plenty to do on the fields to get them ready for next season. I guess sowing oilseed radish again will be a cheap way to get some fertilization into the ground..
humbe

Post by humbe »

October sure got to be a busy month. With so much to harvest, there was also plenty fields to handle afterwards. Many large (by our standard) fields to cultivate, roll and seed oilseed radish to get cheap fertilization into the ground. The beet field had to be plowed up, which is a pain by itself, especially with the roundish field cramped next to a lot of other stuff.

We also got some medium and large stones out of the ground for some reason. Usually, cultivating only gives us small ones. Don't understand how that happened. Field 7 got big stones in the same areas I cleaned big stones from there earlier. It's two fields that are giving issues. If that happens again, I might repurpose the area for grass instead. We didn't bother harvest the grass field last month, and we didn't have time this month either.. I guess we'll have to do it November.. Looking forward to getting a easier to work grass field and equipment a bit easier to use. We have a grass roller, some old drums we can drag along, but none of our tractors can pull it. (As long as all 3 are connected), so we haven't bothered using that either. But we have enough hay for the animals for a while at least, so no disaster.

There's less daylight hours now late in autumn, but we manage to finish all fields but field 4 & 7 which are still there with stones. Shouldn't be an issue. We'll have to get the stones in daytime later, and we probably have time to sow oilseed radish in the spring if we want to, or just skip it and fertilize with fertilizer instead.

Winter is coming.. So I guess we're mostly down to taking care of the animals, and I guess we may want to trim away a few trees here and there to make it easier to work some fields and drive around a few places.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Looking ahead.. Some priorities for what to use money on.
  • A bigger multi-purpose trailer usable by a tractor, or a lorry. I think we may be able to get an old used one for a good price..
  • A stronger tractor. Hopefully one that can pull our new plow at normal working speed. I see John Deere is coming with a new lineup for '78 which looks dazzling, though possibly too expensive for us..
  • Another land area.
  • Bigger cultivator.
Apart from that, we've heard that it's possible to seed with a drill that doesn't require cultivating first. Sounds very interesting if we can find a seeder that works with that. Though it may look like I have to wait until '82 for that.

November 1977

And we went out of chicken food again. Darn small food storage in that pen.. We decide to go do something about it, and digs up space to make more space. Edited mod to get more storage, so we don't have to look into chicken pen multiple times a day..

November is traditionally a good time of year to sell eggs, so we went to the train station with 8275 eggs, and came back with $17.439.. Nice.. Finally chickens paying back some for all the grain we've been feeding them. With some data on sell price, we'll be calculating a bit around how much grain they actually eat, to see what we get for 1000 liters of grain fed.

We were also planning to sell canola oil as prices were high, but then we see that we haven't even made enough to fill a pallet, so I guess that'll be next year..

The reflection in the muddy water is a nice detail added by the relighting mod

Took down some trees that were a bit too close to our fields. Which have typically gotten in the way in this years field work. This load, and another one a bit smaller. In total we earned $27,257 selling wood. Together with the eggs last month, we're currently at 51,445. After we sell milk, wool and soybeans next year, we should have a decent amount of cash to invest in something.

(I could make tons of money selling wood over the winter, but that would flood the game with cash, like my last game in no mans land, so I'm only allowing myself to sell a few trees per year, and typically only cut down trees that are in the way, and not clearing away much to make room for fields.)
humbe

Post by humbe »

December 1977

December has come, and milk prices are good.. Looking at our milk storage of a bit more than ten thousand liters, using our self-made 1000 liter trailer sounds tedious, especially as we're in the middle of nowhere and it's a long way to drive to sell it.

But when going to town, we hear rumors that a neighbor has just bought himself a new Mack truck for his farm, and we get curious as to what he used to use before. We gave him a call, and we managed to get a great price on his old Ford F-600 from 1961. It's 17 years old, but it is still working well. Our neighbor went for the Mack mostly to increase capacity.

This will make an excellent addition to our farm, as we can use it for both liquid and grain transport. Even for logging if we want. Though to reconfigure the trailer for logging or to increase capacity, we need more parts, which we'll have to buy new, but will be a good option later.

We need some more sheds at some point, but I guess the truck can park over by the greenhouse for now.

Yay.. That's priority 1 done for now. We got close to 30.000 liters of soybeans to sell next year, and then the truck will be really useful.

I guess we'll have to move to the boring task of grass cutting now :/..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Something is bugged with our mowing.. Our mower needs only 10hp, and our tedder just 34 hp. But even so, only the 1206 manages to pull them. Helpers pull them fine in any tractor, but without a helper, they don't even make 1 km/t. I like the 1206, but annoying that the others don't work. And the small guitar formed field with trees around is far from ideal with helpers, and I get dizzy driving round and round. But we manage to complete and finish, and even roll for a fertilization level next time.

After selling our 10.000 liters of flour (from sorghum) for $10,003, we had nothing else that needs to be done in December apart from tending to animals.. So 1978.. Here we come..
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Good Stuff! I’m looking forward to the 80’s there’s so much great equipment from the 80’s and a lot available as mods.
humbe

Post by humbe »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:47 am Good Stuff! I’m looking forward to the 80’s there’s so much great equipment from the 80’s and a lot available as mods.
Thanks.. Looking forward to new equipment here too ;)..

January 1978

I don't want a repeat of the beet crop. Nor the potato crop. Talked to bud, and told him pigs were not in the near future plans. Before needing root crops to feed pigs, we want more updated equipment, and an easier way to grow and harvest them. Also, we'd like plowing to be easier. We'll buy some more bacon to keep Bud happy..

Lets just sell the beets we have while the prices are decent.

With 43,266 liters of beet to sell, we decided to get the shop upgrades of $6000 to increase the grain capacity of our grain trailer. Now able to haul 30,000 liters at a time, rather than a measly 3,500.. That will make a ton of difference now. With a beet price of $223, we end up with $9,674 after two hauls. Payed for the trailer upgrade and a bit more at least.

The ramp close to the train was hard to get up with a full load. This truck is probably underpowered with a full load. I guess in general, with our old equipment, it might be good that the area around here is so flat.
humbe

Post by humbe »

February 1978

As little else is happening over winter, we thought we'd try to track some numbers on our animals and the greenhouse. Not sure if there could be seasonal variations, but I'm guessing, in game, winter is the same as summer when it comes to how much animals eat and produce.

Chickens

Code: Select all

Sorghum eaten   Eggs produced  Sorghum/Egg   Chicken in start of period
                by chickens
January         2486.458496     2078.076416    1.196519      435
February        2604.166626     2508.722229    1.038045      500
Chicken pen have recently hit capacity at 500. I'm guessing the increase in eggs produced per sorghum may be due to the average age of chickens in pen is starting to go upwards. Either way, a liter of eggs are worth close to double a liter of sorghum, so we seem to start to make money of this. But 2508 liters of food in a month, which is likely still increasing as the pen is now full and average age going upwards, we'll need quite a bit of grain to keep them fed. We thought we had Sorghum to spare and sold some in autumn, but now we're practically empty. We have 3 small barley fields, but they won't be harvestable before June, meaning we probably have to buy grain for the chickens for those three months, which may amount to close to 10.000 liters of grain. Barley is currently costing $782 per 1000 liter in the farmers market, but that at least sounds cheap enough that we'll still get a bit of profit from the eggs.

With 2600 liters of Sorghum eaten a day, I understand how I was annoyed by the 1000 liter trough capacity ;)

From the data above, it seems like keeping chickens gives a good gain for the grain we put in, but it's a lot of work with small trough capacity.

Horses:

Grain eaten    Hay eaten    Water drunk   Before Price   After price  Price change
January         200            600          100           2955           3083         128 x 2
February        208            625          104           3083           3211         128 x 2
We've got two horses. Hay is pretty cheap, so price is driven by the oats. 200 liters of oat, even if we managed to sell it at a great price of 1064 (twice the average price), that's $212.8, and we net $256 in horse price gain, and then we still have to deduct a bit for hay price, property maintenance cost and machinery cost for driving food and water to and from.

Hmm.. With all the work riding them, scaling up to having lots of horses is not doable, and a few horses doesn't make a dent in the economy, so this is just basically just for fun..

Sheep:

Hay eaten    Wool gained   Hay/wool
January         2250         1606          1.400415
February       2344          1754          1.336422
We have 45 sheep here. With hay being worth very little, this is decent income. We are getting above $1500 per 1000 liter wool, so during a year this sounds like around $30,000 in income for 45 sheep. If we get good equipment for creating hay, we could scale this up too. I think production is going upwards as the sheep in the pen matures, so more are producing wool.

Cows:

Hay eaten    Straw consumed Milk produced Slurry produced  Manure
January         3389.8       914.0          960           2002.2           1533.3
February      
Cows are harder to calculate. Eight cows are a small population to average across different age groups. But hay and straw are pretty cheap products, straw isn't required, and you get both milk, slurry and manure back. Would probably be better if scaled up, but if so, just as sheep,
we need a good way to get hay in quantity.

Large Greenhouse

Lettuce     Strawberry    Tomato
January         255.98      1023.93       511.97
February        255.95      1023.80       511.90
This is almost pure gain, as water doesn't cost us much. Which is also why I've limited myself to 1, to not get much steady income which doesn't require me to work.
humbe

Post by humbe »

March 1978

Our chicken still seem to eat more and more.. Lets say they get up to 3000 liter per month. That's 36000 liter a year. From earlier statistics from barley harvest, the base yield seems to have been 8100 l/hectares. (Value seems to differ from what I found online. Not sure if online is dated or wrong, or if I miscalculated but will verify). With that base yield, that is 16038 l/hectares with 98% bonus, meaning I need 2.245 hectares with barley to get enough chicken food for a year.

Barley we sowed in autumn on fields 1,2 & 5, is like 0.6 hectares all together, so that is unlikely to cover it. I think we'll be sowing a lot of sorghum for now, and then go barley after, leaving one field to test out other crops. (I think barley has higher yield than sorghum and that chicken don't care if they eat one or the other, so barley is more efficient, but I guess we can try to verify that too). If we get too much chicken food, we can always create flour and sell that.

That means, we can't sow anything in March. We coulda sown more oats, but for our 2 horses I think we have enough stored for another year, and as the horses are basically just work and play and no income, we might stop that business then instead of growing more.

Seems we haven't made good measures of our new fields, so that will also be priority when we get to sowing in April..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Found that we had a pallet of sunflower of oil produced in the mill. 5000 liters.. The rest is stuck within the machinery and will probably have to wait until we make more to materialize..

Talk about premium product. $16052 worth of oil on a pallet we can lift by hand.. Easier to sell than a truckload of grain ;)

On the way back we'll drive through the shop and pickup some seeds and maybe some fertilizer.. Think we'll be needing more in April.

Low rider.. Rock the microphone..

Who said you needed to modify springs to get a lowrider.. Brought a bag 2 seed bags, 2 fertilizer bags and one with lime.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Apart from field 4 and 7, which we needed to handle after winter, the rest with oilseed is ready to be cultivated. So 3 big fields to cultivate, followed by rolling to push the stones back into the ground. Is that really a thing in real life? Sounds strange that you're able to roll the stones away;).

Afterwards I think we're done with work in March, and can lazy around until April comes, so we can start sowing.

Our old cultivator isn't big, but going steady at 14 kph working speed at least. We have seen 20' cultivators in the market, but that's probably a bit big to pull with the 1206. Something in between woulda been nice though. Like a 12-16' one, but haven't really found anything bigger than our current 9' one apart from the 20'. Not a huge priority though. Our current one works just fine and our fields aren't that big.

(And we're planning to get a seed drill as soon as one is available. Have plans for '82 and '83 at least) And then testing the 20' cultivator mod https://fs22.com/farming-simulator-22-m ... pack-v1-0/ , which what looked like time correct gear, it turns out it didn't work with built in helper functionality in game, which was a bit sad.. And also, I struggled to get more than 4-5 kph working speed, which means I wouldn't have finished a lot faster anyhow. If I could actually drag it at full working speed though, I should be ok with manually cultivating my current set of fields.
humbe

Post by humbe »

April 1978

April has come and we started to cultivate the remaining fields. But again, large stones appeared where we have seen them every time now. Grr.. It's too annoying to have to dig stones here every time. We can't be bothered with this all the time, so we decided to remake field 4 and 7 into a new grass field.

Field 7 has also been annoying being too close to the fire tower, and field 3 has been small and strangely shaped to make it hard to efficiently harvest grass, so we can fix several issues doing so at least.

From searching, there seems to be a stone bug. If you don't pick small stones before generating more, you generate medium stones instead if I understand correctly, and there's a bug, which may cause stone-picking not to be recognized, so you're not able to reset the state back to ok and will get larger stones all the time. Seems I'm hitting this bug.

Pretty annoyed with the stones. If I get more issues I'm pondering whether to turn them off. Though I'd like to avoid it as it feels a bit like cheating. But stone handling is pretty cheap with my gear at least.. Just takes a lot of time, and I don't want a lot of my playtime to be about dealing with stones. Hoping to get away from the issue now turning this field into a grass field, but if bug is starting to appear elsewhere, I might reconsider and turn stones off.

We noticed that we've got some more produce from the greenhouse ready. The price isn't on top anymore, but it's fresh, and if we sell it, we can afford a bunker silo too. We got $9732 from selling greenhouse products, and used $25046 to build the bunker silo. The new field leaves a bit more clearance, though still pretty close to fire tower and trees here and there, but with a regular shape, we hope we can manage by dealing with headlands first.

A few extra trees were cut down to make room. For now they are stored at the end of the field. Will cut up and sell once we have free time.

Now our fields look pretty much done for this month. We probably need to weed, but otherwise I think most fields should be able to grow mostly on their own until harvest.

Don't remember all the details of maximizing yield of grass fields. We limed the new grass field which shouldn't be needed Just to avoid it saying "needs lime" in the overview, and rolled after seeding in case it matters. We also did a standard solid fertilization application.

In old grass field, field 3, some paths are shown in overview from earlier autodrive or courseplay testing, that I don't seem to get rid of. A bit annoying with parts of old fields that are now just meadow shows up as "needs rolling", but dunno how to fix.

Rounding up the trees we cut down, we made $34704 selling the wood.. Wood sure is lucrative.

The old wood trailer works fine, but with us now having a big lorry, it is a bit better at hauling the heavy load. We shoulda had the $3000 upgrade of a logging setup back there, but we saved the cash and the work of changing by using it as is. While more stable than the small logging trailer we used to have, we need to be careful in the turns.

As it's April, wool prices are also high, so better sell what we have.. We could probably have fit this in the pickup though. Wool production not massive yet..

But woah.. Another $33082.. Now we have $69283 in the bank.. Not far away from being able to buy another land plot.. Or some fancy equipment

Actually.. It IS only april.. We hoped to get a bit more for our eggs later, but we have quite a few now.. Selling the eggs to for $19058 and we can buy another land plot.. I guess that would be a good way to scale up operations even more.. Land plot 40, beyond our bigger fields, are a bit cheaper than most landplots here.. Likely because it is so close to the freeway.. Around 77 thousand bucks.. Leaving us around 10 thousand, where some might disappear in lime, seed and fertilizer..

After plowing around the field, I could actually get courseplay to create a route as if I had plowed the entire thing, so it could plow the inside. Using a helper, I can make 3x the working speed for some strange reason. Though, putting gear shifting into manual mode and running in L4, I manage to go at a constant 5 kph at least.