Everything is german!! (RANT)

Octopuss

Everything is german!! (RANT)

Post by Octopuss »

Is this game exclusively targeted at people from Germany? I am getting pretty pi** lately. Even the company itself, despite being from Switzerland, primarily posts in the official forums in german section (when they do, which doesn't seem often). They don't even bother to post important informations in english, which is absolutely stunning (and I guess non-german customers could be offended - I am sure I am myself at this point).

What pi** me off is the fact most if not all modders are german, the modding sites (those that don't just steal content from other sites) are german, everything is written in german and noone gives a **** about english despite it being the universal language of today. Why do I even care? Mods can (and do) make this game so much more better, right? Well, good luck downloading anything, when everything is in german and the best you can get are descriptions dragged through Google Translate, which doesn't make ANY sense at ll. Everytime I open Modhoster my brain cells are melting and I am playing a guessing game with the site.
It's 21st century and vast majority of people can in most countries (in Europe at the very least) use english at least in some basic form. Apparently, Germany is an exception.
I absolutely for the life of me cannot fathom why german people in their 20's and 30's don't know a single english word at this time and age.
Could anyone shed some light onto this?
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: Everything is german!! (RANT)

Post by bassaddict »

Not exclusively, but the biggest user base is in the German speaking countries.
And besides, most posts from Giants are answers to questions asked. Of course they could also post it somewhere in the English part, but then they would have to open a new topic and maybe some parts of the answer would make not much sense without the original question.
And aren't we all a little lazy from time to time?

Well, modders are a different topic. I know about as many good German mod teams as non-German mod teams. Of cource it would be nice to post all the stuff in English, too, but that also cost additional time. And with the biggest fan base being the German speaking community, I can't really blame them posting only in German. At least they translate the texts for the mods properly.

Octopuss wrote:I absolutely for the life of me cannot fathom why german people in their 20's and 30's don't know a single english word at this time and age.
Could anyone shed some light onto this?
If you know the answer for sure, please let me know. I'm probably about as baffled as you are. My guess would be because Germany likes to dumb down everything and rape every movie and video game (seriously, we, the not dumbed down people, want the ORIGINAL, not some eff'ed up raped stuff! ).
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Can't really blame a people for wanting to speak and use their own language. As a paying customer, I have every right to expect GIANTS to offer support service in a language I purchased the product in, this expectation does not however extend to a community of users who devote their free time to creating modifications.

Also, Germany isn't really an exception. In fact, in all my European travels, I have found most Germans to have a very good grasp of English. Especially compared to the French or Italians ;) Admittedly most of my travelling was on business and English is pretty much the language of choice, but it's not like I spent all my time locked up in hotel rooms.
strudders2112

Post by strudders2112 »

If anything, we should learn German, considering there are more German native speakers in Europe.........
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

strudders2112 wrote:If anything, we should learn German, considering there are more German native speakers in Europe.........
Yeah... Maybe let's not ;)
strudders2112

Post by strudders2112 »

:D
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

mackintosh wrote:As a paying customer, I have every right to expect GIANTS to offer support service in a language I purchased the product in, this expectation does not however extend to a community of users who devote their free time to creating modifications.
Haha if only that was true. I think regular users here had to copy paste and partially translate posts by GIANTS employees because they only bothered to post patch notes or something equally important in the german section. I find that insultive, a LOT.
mackintosh wrote: Can't really blame a people for wanting to speak and use their own language.
Also, Germany isn't really an exception. In fact, in all my European travels, I have found most Germans to have a very good grasp of English. Especially compared to the French or Italians ;) Admittedly most of my travelling was on business and English is pretty much the language of choice, but it's not like I spent all my time locked up in hotel rooms.
Oh I agree. However... It really pi** me off when you either need to ask a question or just want to give feedback, and they simply ignore you because you don't write in german. Also, majority of players might be german, but it's still far from all. A lot of people from different countries are enjoying the game. It almost sounds arrogant to not give a damn about anyone who doesn't happen to know your language (there might be 80 millions of people speaking german, but it's nothing compared to english, right?).

I am genuinely frustrated (and pi**), because this has never ever happened to me in all my life (on the internets). Of course, ranting in forums is all I can do about it. (but at least GIANTS could start acting professionally)

Edit by Rince......once the p word and you have bh .......last warning!...
strudders2112

Post by strudders2112 »

Octopuss wrote:
mackintosh wrote: It almost sounds arrogant to not give a damn about anyone who doesn't happen to know your language (there might be 80 millions of people speaking german, but it's nothing compared to english, right?).

I am genuinely frustrated (and pi**), because this has never ever happened to me in all my life (on the internets). Of course, ranting in forums is all I can do about it. (but at least GIANTS could start acting professionally)
What is that even supposed to mean???

I agree that there should be greater communication across all the language forums in issues relating to the game updates etc, I myself have complained. However it has absolutely nothing to do with who speaks what language.

There are four language forums, German, English, French and Polish.

I do not expect giants to post in all languages in all forums just because someone has asked a question.

As for expecting people to speak English, that is arrogance in it's self.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Edit by Rince......once the p word and you have bh .......last warning!...
LOL where was the first one when this is the last? Are you for real, whoever you are? Unless you missed it, the forum automatically censored it, so why you edited my post (and changed nothing) is beyond what I can understand.
Also, can you explain what does " and you have bh ......." mean? Perhaps you shouldn't be moderating english section when you don't understand english.

Edit by Rince...boardhoaly´s ...4 weeks to get claer.........and by the way,
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Octopuss wrote: Oh I agree. However... It really pi** me off when you either need to ask a question or just want to give feedback, and they simply ignore you because you don't write in german.
Strange. Maybe it's not what you say but how you say it? I have commented on many a facebook post and those modders who did speak a little English usually replied.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Octopuss wrote:Also, can you explain what does " and you have bh ......." mean? Perhaps you shouldn't be moderating english section when you don't understand english.
bh means board holiday. A few days banned from the forum to have time to cool down and think about what you wrote.

Though I think that would be pretty much overreacting in this case. Not that you should use the P word, but still no reason to ban somebody.
FarmerEllie

Post by FarmerEllie »

Haha, I have to jump on this thread to fully agree with you Octopuss. When I posted not really a rant about this subject, I got pretty much ignored. I bought this game in the USA, which I have enjoyed it for the most part. But I am so sick of the cut, copy, paste, translate ( and hope to understand) that is needed to use almost any mods for the game. The PV15 map that has been released on Modhub is in English. Those guys even did a German and French translation of it for people. How considerate of them since only a few modders even consider doing any kind of translation for their mods. They don't even do a basic description translation in English. They want our money here in the USA ,where English is our language, but then we are stuck with this basic game which gets boring very quickly without mods. Giants needs to get some kind of grasp on this modding thing to make it more user friendly, haha. There are many games to play available, but none that I know of that has such a language barrier issue. I am just over this cut,copy,paste and translate thing just to be able to fully enjoy this game. My favorite map, Volksholm, had a recent update. But I refuse now to update it because I can't even read what the update was for. I am over it..Now I only play the PV15 map because it is in ENGLISH. There is my rant!
strudders2112

Post by strudders2112 »

Wow

Then don't download any mods.... simple

The arrogance in this thread is amazing....
FarmerEllie

Post by FarmerEllie »

strudders2112 wrote:Wow

Then don't download any mods.... simple

The arrogance in this thread is amazing....
First off, English is a more international known language then German. This game is sold in the USA. When I bought this game I fully read everything on the box. Nowhere did it state that this is just a basic game, and to enhance this game play I may need to take language courses. Nor, did it state I may need to cut,copy, translate ( for hours) in order to enhance my gameplay. H..., I think I've spent more time translating than I have playing the game. Now you say it is arrogant to complain about it. The arrogance is when a modder makes a mod and posts it on a website that is available to enhance this game and doesn't even attempt at least a small description in English( a language that more people would understand). Not only is it arrogant but very inconsiderate, to the total user base of this game. That's one of the reasons I say Giants needs to get a grasp on the whole modding aspect of the game. But they just sell the basic game engine and turn it a loose so that every Joe/Jane out there can attempt to make mods. Some that even corrupt your gameplay if you download them. Not downloading any mods would be a simple solution. But I may as well have just donated my $29.99 to Giants, cause after only a few hours of playing the boredom sets in without mods. Giants would have a massive user base for this game, if they would grasp the modding base. I have an idea for it but probably not best to post another well known game or addon site on here. I paid $14.99 a month to play that game happily. Never was any language issues and only a couple addon sites that were user friendly to all languages.
Now you obviously speak German, so I suggest you go cut, copy, paste, translate a few hours, then come back and see how arrogant you feel.

FarmerEllie
strudders2112

Post by strudders2112 »

First off
The game you bought is in English. There was no need to change anything it worked that way out of the box.

Second
The modding community that surrounds farming simulator is huge, spanning many countries and many languages. It is incredibly arrogant to expect anybody who has taken their FREE time and effort to create and share a mod, to then expect them to translate it to English (or any other language for that matter) when they, themselves do not speak it.

Third
If you can't take the time to at least learn a few foreign words, why should anybody else.

There is an English only mod site that you can use if you looked for it.

Fourth
Giants can not be held responsible for anything modders do. They allow the community to make the game more enjoyable and add huge value to their Product. There are many publishers who do not.
So rather than moaning about the lack of English in mods YOU choose to download, give thanks that somebody bothered to make it in the first place.