Blender Exporter Plugin - Feedback

Chaki
GIANTS Software | Community Coordinator

Blender Exporter Plugin - Feedback

Post by Chaki »

Hello folks,

several modders wished for a place to collect feedback, wishes and improvements of our Blender Plugin. In this thread, we want to provide a space and opportunity to do so so i can make a bigger report on this and also check, how much demand there is for each point of feedback.
aka Chris - Community Coordinator - Professional Wolf - Typer of Keys

Technical Help [EN/DE] - Bug Reports - Support
Nordvarg

Re: Blender Exporter Plugin - Feedback

Post by Nordvarg »

Thank you for doing this. I have to admit it’s been a while since I used Blender and the exporter. So, here’s my advance apology for the possibility of not being 100 % updated.

I’m happy to see that Giants still care about Blender. I know that some of the best modding teams are using Maya. But many FS Modders (many good ones too) are relying on Blender to make contributions to the game.

Maya is expensive. Blender is free. But free doesn’t mean it’s bad. Blender 2.8 (the official release is coming soon) is shaping up to be really good.

It would be easy just to say that “I want all the Maya exporter features for the Blender exporter.” But that makes no sense since I honestly don’t know if Blender are capable of doing what Maya is doing. So, I’ll try to break it down:

1. Merge Groups

You introduced Merge Groups in FS17, making it easier to create performance friendly models. Back then, I tried to figure out if merge groups were possible in Blender. I couldn’t find a definite answer, and still hasn’t.

But if it’s possible to work with merge groups in Blender, it would absolutely be great to have the opportunity to export those groups from Blender to the editor.

2. File Hierarchy
From what I understand, you can create the final FS file hierarchy in Maya and export it to Giants Editor, right?

I’m not sure if this is possible in Blender (seeing some Blender 2.8 feature videos leads me to believe it is…) Anyhow… If it’s possible to create the hierarchy in Blender it sure would be nice to be able to export it as well.

3. The New Texture System
There is already a tool that helps Blender Modders utilizing the new texture system within Blender (Material Selector for Blender by fa285634). Maybe this could be incorporated into the exporter?

Dream Scenario

I’m not an expert. But from what I can understand Blender 2.8 will be really good. On pair with its paid counterparts in many areas. That’s why I’m hoping that Giants could take a real hard look at Blender to see “What’s in it for us…” And perhaps talk to SCS Software on how they have made Blender the centerpiece of their modding support.

fa285634

Post by fa285634 »

As a more frequent blender user, i personally use an alterd version of the exporter. ( as stated in the GPL block, legal to do )

Also not trying to start a flame war, but most of the maya users , dont use the provided license(s) as intended, which does imply that legal issues will arise. Student verion has its requirements and limits ...

I know of the capabilty's of the maya plugin, but havent really found anything that cannot be done in Blender itself. ( Blender itself, not the python plugin provided by Giants ).

- Merge groups, possible. ( skeletons , IK, etc ... )
- 1:1 mod preparation in blender to the game, possible
- uv offsetting in blender, possible ( to adress both the vehicle and buildingshader offsets )
- attribute injection on objects so the engine can use them correctly , possible
- xml generation of the indexmaps, also possible but need python knowledgle
- multiple UV map exports - possiblle, up to 8
- Fbx export - possible ( fbx import in GE, shabby - looses alot of info )

However , those are all native Blender functions, and that's where the main issue will begin for most users.
The exporter provides by giants can not handle advanced stuff like Skeletons ( merge group equivalent ) and a few other perks needed
for them.
Sidenote on that -> blender moddelling is actually more forgiving on error correction, as its the export is a plain xml file and can be easely tweaked, compared to the binary output of the maya plugin ( for example add meshUsage="256" to the shape to activate CPU Mesh )

I know the entire thing has to be revised for newer versions of Blender - and if Giants is still willing to update it. So this thread is a good point to
place constructive idea's on what should be added to it, to benefit the translation between Blender and the Giants Engine.

But I strongly feel that the provided exporter plugin is perfect for what it's capabilities are. Sure a few hickups here and there, but its software.
Bugs are normal.
People just need to identify on ' cant do this or that in blender ", is not really true, as u can. But it cannot be correctly translated between blender and GE
JimmytheGeek

Post by JimmytheGeek »

I know I'm not the only person who is learning Blender for 3D modelling, whether for this game or other purposes. If there's one thing I've learned over 38 or so years I've been messing with computers, it's that the proper tool for the job is essential. As Blender and GE get updated, so too should the exporter plugin.
Dezza69

Post by Dezza69 »

Please keep the Blender plug-in updated, and please keep it working for the Mac too.

...On Mac support, am getting really good at mentally working in 3D and am now able to visualise and then manually edit i3d files, almost with closed eyes!... LOL

As an older learner driver there's most likely things I do not know yet, but I'd like to be able to build a complete model in Blender, have various components "grouped" (ie, subcomponent meshes "inside" appropriate main components) and then export it one go, rather than (I'm learning perhaps I've missed something) needing to export the components (as individuals) and reassemble in the Giants editor (or manually, if you use a Mac and are too lazy to keep rebooting into Windows).

Edit:
And all the great suggestions as per the far more experienced have suggested.

:biggrin2: Thank you Nordvarg for the link to a new texture tool for Blender.
JohnDeere1952

Post by JohnDeere1952 »

So far Giants has made a good effort to keep blender I3d exporter plug in up to date. With the approach of Blender 2.8 I would like to see the plug in updated again. And with the update better support for animations from blender to GE.
Chaki
GIANTS Software | Community Coordinator

Post by Chaki »

Dezza69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:38 pmPlease keep the Blender plug-in updated
I'm not aware of any plans where we announced that we cancel it's support. :)
aka Chris - Community Coordinator - Professional Wolf - Typer of Keys

Technical Help [EN/DE] - Bug Reports - Support
TSM

Post by TSM »

i echo everything John said really been asking for animation support since FS15.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

not blender I know, but how about fixing the 3dsmax i3d exporter (8.0) so it will export the UV channel's above the base UV channel in 3dsmax 2017, so we don't have to deal with the issues .fbx files have with scaling etc even though they do export the all the UV channels and the Giants editor will load.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
MFPaul_J

Post by MFPaul_J »

Animation support is the big one I'd love to see implemented. The other points raised are also very worthy :)
Maaslandmods

Post by Maaslandmods »

Hi

The Blender plugin should have the functions of the 3dsMax and Maya exporter.
At this moment it isn't possible to skin hoses in Blender.
I have a few projects which need skinned hoses, because the exporter doesn't support it those projects are laying on the shelf.

I would like to see the exporter updated to Blender 2.8

Yours sincerely,
MFPaul_J

Post by MFPaul_J »

Maaslandmods wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm Hi

I have a few projects which need skinned hoses, because the exporter doesn't support it those projects are laying on the shelf.

Yours sincerely,
Yeah, A lot of people in a similar situation and its annoying :D Not being able to use skinned hoses on some of the mods :( Not learning Maya for that ... :D
Farming Girl

Post by Farming Girl »

MFPaul_J wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:26 pm
Maaslandmods wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm Hi

Yours sincerely,
Yeah, A lot of people in a similar situation and its annoying :D Not being able to use skinned hoses on some of the mods :( Not learning Maya for that ... :D
Not buying Maya either, have you seen the price of that, yay for Blender
Ann-Marie

C&S Modding
MFPaul_J

Post by MFPaul_J »

Farming Girl wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 am Not buying Maya either, have you seen the price of that, yay for Blender
Yeah, Its expensive but most modders that use Maya use the student licence :confusednew: Or else they use it for work but majority of Maya modders I know have admitted using the free student licence just to get the better exporter :zunge:
Farming Girl

Post by Farming Girl »

MFPaul_J wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 pm
Farming Girl wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 am Not buying Maya either, have you seen the price of that, yay for Blender
Yeah, Its expensive but most modders that use Maya use the student licence :confusednew: Or else they use it for work but majority of Maya modders I know have admitted using the free student licence just to get the better exporter :zunge:
I now have, and am learning Maya :gamer: Thankyou for your info! :lol:
Ann-Marie

C&S Modding