[Guide]Converting Mods from 2011 to 2013

Staalker

[Guide]Converting Mods from 2011 to 2013

Post by Staalker »

Greetings fellow farmers.

Many of you have never played a Farming Simulator game before, but some have been playing previous versions. It doesn't matter if you are an old vet or a new player, adding new equipment to your game is exciting!

When it comes to adding modded equipment to your game, the average person doesn't know where to begin. There are tutorials out there on the web that can help you learn that. But in reality, most won't need to make their own mods. In fact, Farming Simulator 2011 has a gigantic database of mods available. The only problem is, they don't work in the Farming Simulator 2013.

But today, I intend to help you change that.

It's actually pretty easy to do, and once you know how, you'll find yourself with more new equipment than you can ever use.

Before we get started, let's discuss some things.

First, a mod comes in three types.
  • Equipment
    Maps
    Game Mechanics Alterations
The type we are going to be converting are the Equipment type.

Maps and Game Mechanics are best left to the experienced players, because they aren't as simple to do when converting.

You should be able to take any equipment mod that works in Farming Simulator 2011 and convert to to work in Farming Simulator 2013 in only a few minutes.

To do this you need two important tools.
  • A zip program
    A text editor
For the zip program, I use and recommend 7zip. It is easy to find online with a quick search.
For the text editor, I use and recommend Notepad. It comes built into windows. You want one that doesn't format your text, so something like Word isn't going to work for this.

Now, once you have your tools you are ready to begin.

DOWNLOAD YOUR MOD

First, you need a mod. I chose a simple ATV that I loved in FS 2011. If you already have a mod you liked, use it. The mod should be in a zip file. Start with something simple, that has only one piece to it. A tractor is a good place to start.

UNPACK

Once you have chosen your mod, you need to unpack the files inside that zip file. Make sure you unpack them into a new empty folder. Every file inside that zip is important to the mod working correctly, and you don't want to mix anything up.

Unpacking should be as simple as right clicking the zip and choosing "extract to ". If you are using 7zip, as I do, I always choose to extract to the folder of the same name as my mod.

CONVERSION

With the files unpacked, you will need only a single file to make the conversion.

Look for a file named modDesc.xml

This file holds the data that lets the mod be loaded into the game, and we need to change a few things to make it work in Farming Simulator 2013. To do this, open the modDesc.xml file with your text editor.

It's a lot of code, in most cases, and a lot of it won't make sense to you. But don't worry, it's going to be easy.

Here is an example of what you might see:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no" ?>
<modDesc descVersion="4">
    <author>GIANTS Software</author>
    <version>1.0</version>
	<title>
		<en>Lizard ATV</en>
		<de>Lizard ATV</de>
	</title>
	<description>
		<en>Lizard ATV</en>
		<de>Lizard ATV</de>
	</description>

<iconFilename>store_lizardATV.png</iconFilename>

<multiplayer supported="true" />	

<storeItems>
        <storeItem>
            <en>
                <name>Lizard ATV</name>
                <description>
<![CDATA[The Lizard ATV gets you anywhere fast!]]>
                </description>
                <specs><![CDATA[Power: 61 kW / 82 hp
Maintenance: %s / day]]></specs>
            </en>
            <de>
                <name>Lizard ATV</name>
                <description>
<![CDATA[Das Lizard ATV bringt dich überall hin. Und zwar schnell!]]>
                </description>
                <specs><![CDATA[Leistung: 61 kW / 82 PS
Unterhaltskosten: %s / Tag]]></specs>
            </de>
            <rotation>0</rotation>
            <image active="store_lizardATV.png" />
            <price>13000</price>
            <xmlFilename>atv.xml</xmlFilename>
        </storeItem>
    </storeItems>
</modDesc>
The first thing you want to do is start at the top of the open text file. Look for a line that reads as follows:

<modDesc descVersion="4">
The files coming from Farming Simulator 2011 will show this line. But we need to change this to make it work in Farming Simulator 2013.

See that number 4 in quotation marks? That won't do. Let's change that to a number 9.

<modDesc descVersion="9">
Simple.

Now, let's scroll to the bottom of the file.

Near the bottom you will see:

<price>13000</price>
This will be listed in every equipment mod, and it's a good place to add the needed code to make the mod work in Farming Simulator 2013.

Each mod in Farming Simulator 2013 needs more information to work correctly than those in the previous version. But they are simple to add in.

The lines we have to add are:

<dailyUpkeep></dailyUpkeep>
<brand></brand>
<machineType></machineType>
Go ahead and add those lines. Like so:

<price>13000</price>
<dailyUpkeep></dailyUpkeep>
<brand></brand>
<machineType></machineType>
These are called code tags.

<codeTag> is the start
</codeTag> is the end.

The end will always have the / in front of it.
Data must go between the code tags. It would look like this:

<codeTag>DATA GOES HERE</codeTag>
Simple.

Now, we need to fill in the data for our mod. But we need to know what these code tags mean. If you read them, they are pretty easy to figure out.

<dailyUpkeep> will determine how much it cost per day for maintenance on this piece of equipment.
<machineType> will tell the game what type of equipment this is for grouping in the store menu
<brand> will tell the game the brand of the equipment for grouping in the store menu
So, let's fill in our new data.

You will have to decide a fair price for daily maintenance. Just pick an amount you think is fair and plug it in.

Next, what type of equipment is this? A havester? A tractor? Plug that data in.

Last, what brand is this equipment? You can put anything here you want, but for this mod it's a Lizard.

Remember that any spaces you put between the code tags also shows in game. So if you wanted to put John Deere, it would read just like that in game. The same is true for capitalization.

Once you have the data in place, it will look like this:

<price>13000</price>
<dailyUpkeep>10</dailyUpkeep>       
<brand>Lizard</brand>
<machineType>misc</machineType>
Now, simply choose save.

MACHINE TYPES

Giants Engine is very picky about which mahince types you can use:

The following is a list of acceptable types. Using anything other than those on this list will result in seeing errors in the game store screen.

tractors
frontLoaders
harvesters
potatoHarvesting
beetHarvesting,
tippers
cultivators
plows
sowingMachines
fertilizerSpreaders
sprayers
manureSpreaders
slurryTanks
mowers
windrowers
tedders,
loaderWagons
baling
feeding
weights
misc

REPACK FOR MULTIPLAYER

If plan to use the mod in a multiplayer game, you need to repack it. You don't need it to be in a zip file if you aren't going to use it in multiplayer games.

To repack all the files into a zip file, make sure you don't pack the folder you unpacked into. Just the files inside it.

I just use my mouse to draw a box around them all, then right click one of them, choose 7zip, and then choose Add to archive.

Make sure you save the file as a ZIP file if you are using 7zip.

Then copy the zip file you just made to your mods folder. This should be located in "documents/my games/FarmingSimulator2013"

If you aren't using the zip file, then just copy the folder with the mod files into the mods folder instead. Make sure you rename the folder so you know what mod is inside it.

HAVE FUN

Now, you simply need to load your game and test that it worked.

Load up Farming Simulator 2013, and choose options. On the left side of the screen, choose MODS.

Your mod should be listed here, complete with picture. Once you see it here it will be available in game.

To find it in game, use the arrow keys on the Store Menu to choose mods, and it should be listed in the list.

TROUBLESHOOTING

If for some reason your mod isn't showing in your mods list, one of two things is true.

Either you did something wrong, and it happens.

Or the mod has scripts that just won't work in Farming Simulator 2013.

To try and find the problem, the game helps you out.

Go to your "documents/my games/FarmingSimulator2013" folder and look for a file called "LOG.txt"

This file will show any errors that occured when you loaded the game.

Look for the word ERROR, you can search for it by pressing the Control key and F at the same time, then type in the word Error.

Find the first error that shows up and see what it says. It will give a hint as to what is wrong. If the hint doesn't refer to something you changed, then it's possible the mod has scripts that aren't working correctly in Farming Simulator 2013.

If it hints at something you changed, then open your modDesc.xml file back up and see if you can find the problem. Did you forget to close your codetags with <>? Did you put your data between the tags?

Ultimately, if you could make a post and request some help. I will try to respond as timely as possible.

WRAPPING UP - TIPS

Once you get a couple successful conversions under your belt, you shouldn't have too much difficulty doing any you want. Remember to keep the credits in place for the person who made the mod. It's not nice to steal other people's work.

Also, many mod makers don't put realistic pricing on their mods. You can always change the data between

<price></price>
to be whatever you want. If you want a more realistic game, make it fair. Or you could make it 100, and buy 20 of them.

Up to you, play how you wish.

Folder names and zip files are restricted to the characters they may have. You may NOT use dashes, periods, commas or any other punctuation. Letters, numbers and underscores ONLY.

I will do my best to answer any questions that fit within the scope of this guide. This guide is not intended to teach the full process of modding. It is only to help you convert mods that already exist to work in the new version of Farming Simulator.

Thanks for reading and happy converting!
Last edited by Staalker on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
flatlander

Re: Mod Conversion Guide for Farming Simulator 2013

Post by flatlander »

Also, some people worked very hard on these mods, don't convert them and claim them as your own! In fact, if you convert someone work, you probably shouldn't even put it up for download unless you have the original creator's permission and give due credit to the creator.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

flatlander wrote:Also, some people worked very hard on these mods, don't convert them and claim them as your own! In fact, if you convert someone work, you probably shouldn't even put it up for download unless you have the original creator's permission and give due credit to the creator.
Yeah I did say don't steal someone's work.
flatlander

Post by flatlander »

Oops missed that part but doesn't hurt to reinforce it.
XyonicS

Post by XyonicS »

Sadly the FS2011 version of the Stoll Ballenzange v 2.0 can't be converted in this way.

Shame too as they are really on of the attachments for front loaders that would be very helpfull for those round bales that I have huge problems with.

Oh well.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

XyonicS wrote:Sadly the FS2011 version of the Stoll Ballenzange v 2.0 can't be converted in this way.

Shame too as they are really on of the attachments for front loaders that would be very helpfull for those round bales that I have huge problems with.

Oh well.
I'll have a look at it. It shouldn't be hard. Likely just a script error.
XyonicS

Post by XyonicS »

Staalker wrote:
XyonicS wrote:Sadly the FS2011 version of the Stoll Ballenzange v 2.0 can't be converted in this way.

Oh well.
I'll have a look at it. It shouldn't be hard. Likely just a script error.
Oh, thank you very, very much, I have my fingers crossed that it is fixable. :smileynew:
RubberPIX

Post by RubberPIX »

Actually, it looks like someone already converted it, do a search on Google for 'Stoll Ballenzange' and you should see the result near the top.

Andy
XyonicS

Post by XyonicS »

RubberPIX wrote:Actually, it looks like someone already converted it, do a search on Google for 'Stoll Ballenzange' and you should see the result near the top.

Andy
I'm sorry, but I have looked and looked and not found any 2013 versions of this. Maybe you could PM me the link please, so I can check it.

So many list as 2013, but they are really 2011 when you check the actual page they are on.

I seem to be hitting a problem with mods not working due to missing a file called "store.dds", is there a fix for this problem?
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Yeah, in 2013 dds is the required format, so the old textures have to be converted to dds.

I also checked for a 2013 of the Stoll, but there is none. The error is a Physx error, so that means something on the 3D model is off.

It can be fixed, but it's not a quick or easy one.

I will see what I can do with it, but it's gonna take some time. I'll let you know when/if it starts working.
RubberPIX

Post by RubberPIX »

I hate to say it, but I was wrong. It was a 2013 site and the only indication that it was for 2011 was tiny text saying where it was posted to. I did manage to use the guide here to successfully convert the Ritchie Bale Handler and round bale trailer if you can use that? It make for very easy loading of bales in the shredder or for loading on a regular bale wagon. So far I've only tested with bales made from straw, but those worked fine so grass ones should be fine too.

Andy
XyonicS

Post by XyonicS »

RubberPIX wrote:I hate to say it, but I was wrong. It was a 2013 site and the only indication that it was for 2011 was tiny text saying where it was posted to. I did manage to use the guide here to successfully convert the Ritchie Bale Handler and round bale trailer if you can use that? It make for very easy loading of bales in the shredder or for loading on a regular bale wagon. So far I've only tested with bales made from straw, but those worked fine so grass ones should be fine too.

Andy
Wow, yeah I wil give it a try, was it just a standard convert as above or more complex?
RubberPIX

Post by RubberPIX »

I already replied to him in a PM last night, but for everyone else, it was the standard conversion stated above. I just added in what he put down, put baling as the machinery for everything and they worked. I don't understand HOW it worked because I was sure that the bale names would have to be changed, but there weren't any bale names so that officially put it out of my reach of understanding. I'm hoping to be able to use this method with all the other mods I liked and I'm hoping I won't run into too many problems. Thanks Staalker for the help. :)

Andy

PS. Here are the filenames for the Ritchie equipment so if anyone wants to find them and convert them themselves you will be able to. They came from ls-uk's modteam and can be found on their website at ls-uk.info or www.fs-uk.com since that seems to be their new name and just do a search for Ritchie. These come in a modpack called Ritchie Bale Handling Equipment.

Ritchie_Multi_Bale_Handler_2011.zip
Ritchie_Bale_Traileyre_1498_2011.zip
XyonicS

Post by XyonicS »

Thank you Andy (RubberPIX) for helping me out.

Yeah these worked very well, finally get to lift those round bales from any angle.

Still would like the Stoll version though for working in tight spaces, but the richies is great for most aplications including square bales as well.

Sure makes getting bales into the mixing wagon a lot easier and even getting round bales into the shredder is easier, though still a bit clumsy as the tool is quite large so you have to experiment a bit to find the best way for doing that, maybe the main thing the Stoll would be better at. Also moving round bales from and to stacks is a breeze and can handle 2 at a time.

The trailer is awesome as well, and looks mean, lol.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

The only way you'd need to change bale names would be if the baler you used wasn't one of the Giants Software created ones. When people make new balers, they like to make their bales have a unique name so they can only be used with specific equipment.

But otherwise, bales are just two types, Round and Square. The game does track what they are made of, but that doesn't have an affect on the physics, so typically anything that would work on bales in 2011 would work in 2013.

The problem with the Stoll is how it uses special physics to squeeze the bales and lock them in place. Scripts aren't all coded the same, and FS 13 uses UTF8, where 2011 would allow you to use older coding formats.

So, the old code has to be brought up to the new standard. It's doable, but time consuming.

It took a long time to get these special implements to work for 2011, some of the most recent Round Bale equipment is only a few months old...so that shows the complexity in coding them. I have a friend who is going to help me work on the Stoll, if anything it will be a good learning for us both to update to the new coding formats.

Cheers.