[HELPFUL INFORMATION] + Videos

inzainia

[HELPFUL INFORMATION] + Videos

Post by inzainia »

**Question of the Moment**
check here often, as people answer these questions, ill add them to the post and ask a new question here, and post your own questions if youd like and ill use them when i change this: (when answering this please provide as much info as possible including where to go, what vehicles are needed, sell value(if applicable), use, etc..(anything relevant to what your explaining)

--**--What do you think of the videos? are they boring, GREAT, do i need to talk less? Talk more? keep them as they are? etc... criticysm makes people better, so gimme some!

Hello commumity,
ok we dont really have an organized area for help, it is all scattered to the winds mostly. so in this thread please post helpful things, like how you figured out how to mix with certain machines, or how you figured out how to make fermented silage, etc... anything you think is going to benefit the community. if the thread gets large, i will consolidate the info into this top post for ease of use.

PLEASE do not post things like, "how to make 1bazillion dollars in 30 secs" or "bragging rights to things you have accomplished" we are proud of you, but that is not the purpose of this thread, this is a help others thread not a "look at me" thread.

thanks everyone who helps us to learn the ins and outs of this wonderful game!

for crop yields and some other info please check out my other thread @ Crop Yield Assessment + Info thread

***NEW!!!***

Gonna do some videos, take a look and let me know what you think.

This first video will go over starting out, harvesting your first field, gps, silo identification, and some other basic tips.

Farming Basics Episode 1

This Second video will go over Cultivating, My bad driving, Plow info, Impliment selection, Refueling, and a look around the farm.

Farming Basics Episode 2

This Third video will go over Seeding, Fertilizers, Spraying, Time Lapse, Crop Grwoth, and Withered crops..

Farming Basics Episode 3

This Fourth video will go over Mowing, Forageing Wagon, tedders, windrows, and where to put the stuff you pick up.

Farming Basics Episode 4

This Fifth video will go over Baleing, and discover a difinitive answer on what a tedder is good for!

Farming Basics Episode 5

This Sixth video will go over chickens and Sheep and selling their products.

Farming Basics Episode 6

This Seventh video will go over Cows, manure spreaders, slurry tanks, etc.. .

Farming Basics Episode 7

This eighth video will cover sillage, the 3 in one mixer, and components/vehicles needed to make and use them. WARNING!!!! this is a 30 minute video, feel free to skip around in it if needed to get the info your after lol.

Farming Basics Episode 8

This ninth video will cover connecting multiple trailers and placeable objects.

Farming Basics Episode 9

This tenth video will cover potatoes, planting, topping, and harvesting.

Farming Basics Episode 10

This eleventh video will cover Sugar beets, planting, topping, and harvesting.

Farming Basics Episode 11

coming next: no idea

also post a comment if you want me to do a vehicle showcase, in it ill go over the different vehicles and each impliment it uses, and the differences between them, what they do, etc..

and i will start it off.

• *using the foraging wagon, you can pick up the leftover straw from growing barley or wheat, and take it to the cow pen(the troph on the side of the liquid manure container) and dump there. OR you can sell it at the farm at approx 80$ per 1000 units. this vehicle can also be attached to a tractor, with a front mower on the front, and used to collect the grass you cut AS YOU GO! saving both time and gas! this grass can be dumped.

*an easy early way to get liquid manure and wool, is to purchase some cows and sheep, buy the cheap optihopper mower, and use it to fill the trophs at both the cow barn and the sheep pasture. then come back later to them with a FEL(front end loader) and you can collect the wool, or use a slurry tank to collect the liquid manure to fertilize your fields..for free :)

*there are 3 types of fertilizer in the game, liquid manure(from cows) manure(from cows) and liquid fertilizer(from the blue barrel at farm) ALL 3 ARE THE SAME! they are just different versions of the same thing, so feel free to use whichever one you choose. you use these ,preferrably after sowing your field, but before harvesting, and you do not have to wait until you see plant growth. this doubles the yield of your crop so is definitely worth using regardless of which type you choose!

*Curious why even when sitting around doing nothing, your still losing money? hit the INS key, you owe the bank a loan(different size depending on difficulty) so pay that loan back asap!
ok them are simple things most might already know, so shock me with some good info we don't. thanks in advance for helping!

***more from the community***
  • *Here's one I use if I'm feeling lazy and need to get a piece of equipment out in the field back close to the headquarters and don't feel like driving across the map. You can use the reset next vehicle feature on the vehicle map for individuals vehicle and implements. Then they will automatically reset at home base. That sort of takes some of the realism out of the game but it's just an option if you need to save some time. <thanks nickelplate>

*If you have a bank balance always pay as much off as you can when you don't need the money which keeps the interest payments lower.
    Stick it to the bank! <thanks nickelplate>

*Use the in game time keys (keys seven and eight) to speed up and slow down time as necessary. I like to slow down to real time when planting/harvesting/cultivating and then when you're ready for crops to grow speed it way up and your fields will grow without too much waiting. Then slow it back down again which gives you time to harvest without fear of your crops withering. Repeat as needed <thanks nickelplate>

*auto speed button 4 is to harvest, you can hire a worker to harvest all of the grains, and while he does so, follow beside him with your tractor, hit speed button 4( timing is importaint here) and you will do the same speed he does and he will continuously dump into the trailer. you will only need to steer left and right as to stay in range of the pipe, and to not run into him. at the end of a field you will have to jaunt around him and prepare to run along side him again as he turns around, but this is better than waiting on him to fill up and stop, wasting money paying him to sit there. this could be useful in MP too, just line up on your turn on catching (If in a convoy of 2-4 trailer Jockey's) and hit 4. <thanks whitevandriver>
Last edited by inzainia on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 34 times in total.
NickelPlate

Re: [helpful information]

Post by NickelPlate »

*Here's one I use if I'm feeling lazy and need to get a piece of equipment out in the field back close to the headquarters and don't feel like driving across the map. You can use the reset next vehicle feature on the vehicle map for individuals vehicle and implements. Then they will automatically reset at home base. That sort of takes some of the realism out of the game but it's just an option if you need to save some time.

*If you have a bank balance always pay as much off as you can when you don't need the money which keeps the interest payments lower. Stick it back to the bank because they are sticking it to you lol!

*Use the in game time keys (keys seven and eight) to speed up and slow down time as necessary. I like to slow down to real time when planting/harvesting/cultivating and then when you're ready for crops to grow speed it way up and your fields will grow without too much waiting. Then slow it back down again which gives you time to harvest without fear of your crops withering. Repeat as needed.

*The Deutz 5465 cutter will fit the starter combine and provide about 2 meters more cutting width. The only thing is the pipe just barely extends enough so you can drive a trailer next to it. It's a bit tricky but is a combine upgrade on the cheap. The hopper will also fill up quick so you need to drive along side with a grain cart, and you'll probably want a larger cart than the starter one as it fills up too fast.
Last edited by NickelPlate on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 am, edited 8 times in total.
inzainia

Post by inzainia »

NickelPlate wrote:Here's one I use if I'm feeling lazy and need to get a piece of equipment out in the field back close to the headquarters and don't feel like driving across the map. You can use the vehicle reset feature on the vehicle map for individuals vehicle and implements. Then they will automatically reset at home base. That sort of takes some of the realism out of the game but it's just an option if you need to save some time.
lol i actually use this, although rarely, when i have to haul a huge load somewhere far away (like the port) to sell, so i can quickly refill and head back again. works wonders!! good tip, thanks.
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

inzainia wrote: lol i actually use this, although rarely, when i have to haul a huge load somewhere far away (like the port) to sell, so i can quickly refill and head back again. works wonders!! good tip, thanks.
Hey izzy don't forget your good grass cutting job tip which I use thanks! Keep a Argon 75 (cheap tractor) with a front mower parked at the campsite and golf course and set the mission timer to 2 minutes. Good way to make some fast money and while waiting for another one to come up, you can tend to your fields or hire workers to tend them.
inzainia

Post by inzainia »

yep added the other threads url link to the bottom just a sec ago, if this thread grows bigger ill prolly merge both into one. just wanted a new thread structured from the start with helpful info for the community to help mostly with, instead of just myself lol :) and i still use the mowers myself, when i need fast cash. works well.
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

I'm just gonna keep adding to my original post so the thread size won't grow too big.
WhiteVanDriver

Post by WhiteVanDriver »

Also useful, as I read in one of the forums someone say that the number 4 speed button does nothing!

Hire a worker to use harvester. Run up alongside him while he harvests, he will extend the boom, then when in position (timing is key here), press 4 and you will keep same speed as Harvester (Still need to watch steering so as not to hit Harv), good on long fields where you do not want to keep waiting for Harvester to stop, could be useful in MP too, just line up on your turn on catching (If in a convoy of 2-4 trailer Jockey's) and hit 4.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

You should add that even once you pay off a loan, you will still see your money decline daily because each piece of equipment has a maintenance cost. Before buying a piece of equipment, you should consider the maintenance cost to determine exactly which tractor or extension you want to buy.

A plow that costs 2000 more might be worth it if the maintenance cost is 50 bucks cheaper each day.

Also, hired hands don't use fuel or seed. They get paid as they work, however. If you fill a tractor with fuel, or a seeder with seeds, the worker can do an entire field and never run out of gas or seed. This can be helpful on very large fields where you might need to go and refill before it's done.

Don't expect the AI to do everthing for you. They are workers, plain and simple. They aren't farmers. YOU are the farmer. You can have them do simple tasks, but don't leave them unattended for too long because they aren't designed or intended to do everything for you. If they become stuck, or the grain tank fills on a harvester, they just shut down and wait for you to fix the problem. But they still get paid the time they wait.

Crops left in the silo too long will eventually ruin. Silos are intended to be temporary storage. If you harvest a lot of corn, and store it waiting for a price increase or great demand, you could lose some of it. Each crop has it's own time before it starts to ruin, but once a crop does start to ruin, you will lose some each day until it's all gone or you sell it. Don't grow more than you can use or sell, it can easily be wasted.

Using a forage wagon to pick up straw off the field after wheat or barley is extra cash. You can back the wagon right up to your straw barn and empty it for cash. It's cheaper than trying to buy bales, trailers and loaders. And fertilized crops leave a lot of straw, which leads to several thousand dollars extra per field.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

WhiteVanDriver wrote:Also useful, as I read in one of the forums someone say that the number 4 speed button does nothing!

Hire a worker to use harvester. Run up alongside him while he harvests, he will extend the boom, then when in position (timing is key here), press 4 and you will keep same speed as Harvester (Still need to watch steering so as not to hit Harv), good on long fields where you do not want to keep waiting for Harvester to stop, could be useful in MP too, just line up on your turn on catching (If in a convoy of 2-4 trailer Jockey's) and hit 4.
4 is the harvest speed. It's not just for harvesting though.

If you are trying to plow a straight line, using 4 on the speed makes it easier to do because it's the slowest speed you can use on a vehicle. I see many people try to plow fields and end up crooked. Using 4 helps greatly. This is true with many things, 4 is the "operation speed" so it's the ideal speed for the task you are doing.
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

You can drive the golf carts at the golf course. I stole one and took it back to headquarters! I use it for transporting eggs into town and checking up on the chickens.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

NickelPlate wrote:You can drive the golf carts at the golf course. I stole one and took it back to headquarters! I use it for transporting eggs into town and checking up on the chickens.
Yeah, that's another little hint I am putting in the Beginners Guide. Can be handy, and cheaper than driving a tractor to the store.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

inzainia wrote: *using the foraging wagon, you can pick up the leftover straw from growing barley or wheat, and take it to the cow pen(the troph on the side of the liquid manure container) and dump there. OR you can sell it at the farm at approx 80$ per 1000 units. this vehicle can also be attached to a tractor, with a front mower on the front, and used to collect the grass you cut as YOU GO! saving both time and gas! this grass can be dumped.

I have to question this bit of info. I went into my game to verify, but I couldn't dump my forage trailer anywhere near the cow field if it was filled with straw. I had 26k straw in mine, and I never got the dump icon or ability to do so.

If this is accurate, could you post a screenshot? I'd love to get it added to the guide, but I can't find this location on the map.

Thanks
inzainia

Post by inzainia »

Staalker wrote: I have to question this bit of info. I went into my game to verify, but I couldn't dump my forage trailer anywhere near the cow field if it was filled with straw. I had 26k straw in mine, and I never got the dump icon or ability to do so.

If this is accurate, could you post a screenshot? I'd love to get it added to the guide, but I can't find this location on the map.

Thanks
no problem, i have wheat growing atm anyhow, 2 fields of it. , i used a tractor(with the care wheels) and one of the forage wagons(the one that says it empties iteself, not the trailer, if you have the trailer this could be why it wont let you, maybe the self loading part is the key) and just toted it to the cow barn, i went around onto the side that has 2 trophs, and the line of trophs inside just over the fence, dirrectly opposite them, backed it up there and it let me unload some, it did give a message about you can only leave 6 days worth?? or 6000 units or something along those lines, it vanished before i could read it all. but some was unloaded.

im posting this during a commercial of the walking dead lol, so itll be about an hour or so before i can put it up here.

there ya go, as you can see at the top, i can unload, and on the right is the symbol for straw. ps placement does not matter, i tried backing it up to all 3 trophs on this side, and all 3 would allow me to unload. the loader is the krone zx 550 gd.
Last edited by inzainia on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
inzainia

Post by inzainia »

although after i unloaded i did get this message.

BUt if you check the capacity, youll see it did let me unload a little bit(mine was almost full from me filling it a couple days ago. and i only ahve 3 cows lol.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Thanks for the SS.

I don't remember which wagon I was using, but you are right it was probably the shuttle and not the wagon.

Thanks.