Is every step important to improve the productivity?

AtoN

Is every step important to improve the productivity?

Post by AtoN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 am

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask to the community if making every step (first manure, then plow, then use cultivator, seed etc...) have influence in the productivity??

If I skip some steps (for example i don't plow every time) will I have the same productivity?

I would also make a little off topic:

When I should use the spryer? I've tried to use it when the plants are little but I didn't seen any differences!

Thanks in advance!!!

Happy farming to everyone!!

Farmer2013

Re: Is every step important to improve the productivity?

Post by Farmer2013 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am

just cultivate/plow , spray/manure, and seed you're done "/" meaning "or" :) And putting manure or spray increases field yield.
I was a farmer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..

AtoN

Post by AtoN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am

Rapid and concise! ;-) Thank you!

alexbnc

Post by alexbnc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:03 pm

So plowing is just for fun, isn't it? I mean, I could never use the plow, if I don't want to create new fields, is that so?

Metz

Post by Metz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm

alexbnc wrote:So plowing is just for fun, isn't it? I mean, I could never use the plow, if I don't want to create new fields, is that so?
Correct :hi:

spidair

Post by spidair » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 pm

alexbnc wrote:So plowing is just for fun, isn't it? I mean, I could never use the plow, if I don't want to create new fields, is that so?
No, you get lower yield when not plowing... It is not nessesary to get a crop up and running, but your yeild is lower when you don't plow... (At least it was in FS2011...). An

So I allways plow except when i buy a new field, then I just spray/manure it and then seed it. But the next time, after harvest, I plough it for sure....

Ploughing is, by the way, the only way for you to extend your fields too, just hit O with a plough connected to the tractor and start connecting fields that are close together, like 15 and 16, where 16 is your starter field (You do not need the road inbetween those fields anyhow...). I connected field 17, 18 and 19 yesterday doing this and it's works great (Just save the moment before your atemt, so you can regret a mistake and abort the game without saving, then start it again and try another day... he he)

Ploughing turns the soil and makes it more furtile in real life too... So yes, I do think you need ploughing... Another thing is that you have to sprey/manure to get a higher yield, but not plough? Not very likely, is it?

Reminder to me self: try to plough one of to simular fields and not the other and compare yeild after... :)

spidair

Post by spidair » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Is there, BTW, anyone who acctually knows this for sure? I starting to wonder if I'm not waisting a lot of time here...

Calamarain

Post by Calamarain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I've just tested this on field 16. Harvesting the wheat that is ripe when a new game is started gives a yield of 5225. Cultivating and seeding the field gives a yield of 5251, as does ploughing, cultivating and seeding. The difference between the already planted wheat and the wheat that was sown afterwards must be that a small part of the field had no wheat growing on it when the game was started.

TL:DR - Ploughing makes no difference to crop yield, but is the only way to change a field shape/size. Fertilising/spraying is the only way to increase your crop yield.

Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 pm

spidair wrote:Is there, BTW, anyone who acctually knows this for sure? I starting to wonder if I'm not waisting a lot of time here...
I did a comparison run with the plow.
You'll find the highly scientific methods used and the result of the experiment below. :ubergeek:
(Note: This was done with field 15 & 16 merged together.)

1. First run (without plowing)
  1. Cultivated the field
  2. Sprayed it
  3. Seeded it with Canola
  4. ( Waited for it to grow... )
  5. Harvested it all
The result of the first run was a total of 13329 units of Canola.

2. Comparison run (with plowing)
  1. Plowed the entire field
  2. Cultivated it
  3. Sprayed it
  4. Seeded it with Canola
  5. ( Again, waited for it to grow... )
  6. Harvested it all
The result of the comparison run was a total of 13208 units of Canola.

Conclusion
From what I can tell, plowing a field before seeding it doesn't make any difference.
It didn't get me a higher yield, if anything I got less. Not much but everything count. :smileynew:

[EDIT: Some weird "spelling error" phenomenon occurred apparently...]

Last edited by Davy Jones on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Davy Jones

Post by Davy Jones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Looks like Calamarain was a few minutes faster then me... *thumbsup*
But this confirms it. Plowing makes no difference.

Farmer2013

Post by Farmer2013 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 pm

..and they didn't believe me :P

andysim212

Post by andysim212 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Yea seems the only 2 reasons to have a plow are to extent/merge fields and to return a grass field back to normal.

If only they made plowing a requirement. Maybe even just on hard mode or something. Oh well maybe FS2015 if that ever happens =)

spidair

Post by spidair » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Wel then... No use in all the ploughing I have done ... *Sigh*

But then again, I think I''m going to plough anyway, just for the realism in it. Feels like I cheating if I'm not ploughing my fields before a new crop... Stupid, I know, but hey, I'm the one doing it... :)

AND I want Giant to implement this in their future games, maybe in a future patch, coz it is not realistic to skip the ploughing part in a farm sim.... It's like not having a pitstop in a formel 1 game, or footbal in a soccer game ... he he :)

MajSolo

Post by MajSolo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Well have anyone checked how fast the crop gets ripe then with plowing or no plowing? I was thinking there might be something hidden there. Like the roots of the plants get to good soil faster. Or is it so that since you sprayed the field the nutrients are there anyway in the top soil? IRL plowing is to turn the soil around and get the better soil up as top soil. Also to avoid getting the soil to packed and making it easier to grow in. IRL they always plow but here and in FS11 we do not. And this is a farming simulator. lol.

Farmer2013

Post by Farmer2013 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Plows as "new vehicles and tools" sell.