Self propelled mixer - grinder

NickelPlate

Self propelled mixer - grinder

Post by NickelPlate »

Hi Folks,

I'm finally getting into cattle and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what the grinder/pickup thing on the front of the self propelled mixer wagon does. It doesn't pickup straw, it doesn't pick up hay, it doesn't grind round bales into straw or hay, and it doesn't pickup silage from the bunker. What does it do? I can dump straw and hay bales into the machine manually using the FEL but since it has a smaller capacity than the pull behind mixer (so I've read), what's the point? There is also a little cover that rotates to expose the grinder, but again I have no idea what the function is for.

Who here has figured this thing out?
traveler159

Re: Self propelled mixer - grinder

Post by traveler159 »

Hi

It does pick up the silage from the bunker, you must have done something wrong. As for hay and straw, you have to use the FEL.
Can you believe that I played FS2011 on hard for years and never used fertilizer?

Only to learn that fertilizers double the yield in FS2013 AND FS2011!

True story!
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

I just raise the grinder a bit, drive into the silage heap and let it fill. Silly question perhaps, but are you pressing "b" to start the grinder?
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

traveler159 wrote:Hi

It does pick up the silage from the bunker, you must have done something wrong. as for hay and straw, you have to use the FEL.
Only thing I can think of is that you have to ferment the silage first. I'm in the process of doing that now. Cattle sure are alot more hassle now then they were in FS13, I hope they're worth it :).
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

Punnikin wrote:I just raise the grinder a bit, drive into the silage heap and let it fill. Silly question perhaps, but are you pressing "b" to start the grinder?
Yeah it was on. I've tried lifting it, lowering it, playing with the rotatable cover thing and no luck. Do you have to compact and ferment the silage first?
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Yep, the same procedure as you would at the gas plant.
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

Punnikin wrote:Yep, the same procedure as you would at the gas plant.
Thanks Punkin. Boy that's a slow process. I turn the game on 120X and still after 30 minutes I'm only at 25% fermentation. Good thing I have solar panels, bee hives and a wind generator to make me some money while I wait.
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Game speed doesn't affect fermentation. It's about 1% per RL minute. Thankfully I supply my gas plant with a lot of leftovers so I always have silage on habd in case I have a shortage.

I don't think I live that far away. Maybe I can get past that pesky mountain and bring you a bit to tide you over.
FearEile

Post by FearEile »

NickelPlate wrote:
Punnikin wrote:Yep, the same procedure as you would at the gas plant.
Thanks Punkin. Boy that's a slow process. I turn the game on 120X and still after 30 minutes I'm only at 25% fermentation. Good thing I have solar panels, bee hives and a wind generator to make me some money while I wait.
You need to wait about an hour real time speeding the game up makes no difference to the fermentation.

Since we are on a similar subject can anybody tell me why silage isn't registering in the pull behind mixer, so far I've dumped nearly 30,000 units in and nada. The hay and straw are in already. If it makes any difference I am using the duetz FEL with silage grab then the manure shovel and then I drove my big lizard over from the biogas plant and tried that with no success.
Any ideas, please?
Eggsbox: FearEile
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Check to make sure you didn't fill the hopper to 100% with hay and straw, and make doubly sure you're dumping it the silage into the hopper exactly. The best way to do this would be to park your feeder on top of the silage pile to fill it. That way if you miss you won't lose the silage. It'll fall back into the pile. Also, if you miss, you'll see the amount in the silage bin change so you'll know if you hit the mark.
FearEile

Post by FearEile »

Punnikin wrote:Check to make sure you didn't fill the hopper to 100% with hay and straw, and make doubly sure you're dumping it the silage into the hopper exactly. The best way to do this would be to park your feeder on top of the silage pile to fill it. That way if you miss you won't lose the silage. It'll fall back into the pile. Also, if you miss, you'll see the amount in the silage bin change so you'll know if you hit the mark.
No, I've got 40% free for the silage so I'll try your second suggestion and get back to you thanks.

Update: Nope that wasn't it, but thanks anyway
brack

Post by brack »

FearEile wrote:Since we are on a similar subject can anybody tell me why silage isn't registering in the pull behind mixer, so far I've dumped nearly 30,000 units in and nada. The hay and straw are in already. If it makes any difference I am using the duetz FEL with silage grab then the manure shovel and then I drove my big lizard over from the biogas plant and tried that with no success.
Any ideas, please?
I also had a terrible time getting silage into the cheap feeder. About 1 in 5 bucket loads actually made it inside. I wound up just saving for the self propelled, makes everything so much easier.
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

Same here. That's why I suggested filling it with the trailer on top of the silage pile. That way nothing is wasted except precious, irreplacable time.
FearEile

Post by FearEile »

brack wrote: I also had a terrible time getting silage into the cheap feeder. About 1 in 5 bucket loads actually made it inside. I wound up just saving for the self propelled, makes everything so much easier.

Thing is they are all going inside they just aren't registering so I'm just wasting it all but I reckon you're right and I shall just have to save for the self propelled one. Thanks.
taifun

Post by taifun »

NickelPlate wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm finally getting into cattle and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what the grinder/pickup thing on the front of the self propelled mixer wagon does. It doesn't pickup straw, it doesn't pick up hay, it doesn't grind round bales into straw or hay, and it doesn't pickup silage from the bunker. What does it do? I can dump straw and hay bales into the machine manually using the FEL but since it has a smaller capacity than the pull behind mixer (so I've read), what's the point? There is also a little cover that rotates to expose the grinder, but again I have no idea what the function is for.

Who here has figured this thing out?
Посмотрите видео! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqy2CWPw ... ure=g-hist