Just finished the tutorial and am almost stuck

ewsg

Just finished the tutorial and am almost stuck

Post by ewsg » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi,

I just finished the Farming Simulator 2013 tutorial, but now I don't know what to do with certain. I was having a lot of fun with the tutorial. Now, I received a little farm with some tractors and some equipment. I do not have money to purchase a field (it costs around 100.000 and I only have 5000 in cash).

So, what do you suggest? I think this game can provide me a lot of fun and challenge, but I don't know what to do immediately after the tutorial, to where to go, what to do in order to start gaining money, etc.

What your opinions/suggestions? :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Deutzfarmer1985

Re: Just finished the tutorial and am almost stuck

Post by Deutzfarmer1985 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Sell all crop in the silos after you have harvested field 16 plant canola and sell it at the inn which should be the highest paying price buy field 15 and just keep going from there you'll be hooked like me

Top Soil

Post by Top Soil » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 pm

^^ what Duetzfarmer said.

It may not be flashing neon - but you do own one field when you start (#16). ESC and click across the top, shows you various different screens, like where your vehicles are (and you can click into them from that screen, and also reset them if they get stuck with the little tickbox and clicking them) - what crops are in which field, and their growth state (different selector at bottom right of that page).

So just harvest the field you own, cultivate it, plant it, grow it, harvest it - repeat until you can afford more fields. You might also want to buy a small mower and park it at the golf course and do those missions. Or buy a front loader with pallet fork attachment, and do those missions as they pop up (in options, you can increase, decrease, or elimiate how often they become available).

Just click around, exploring everything, and you'll soon be comfortable -- I found an outstanding thing at the start was when I realised that the Insert key brings up the finance page, so I didn't need to travel to the moneychanger to borrow, etc. Or that P opens the store instead of driving there. And clicking the reset next vehicle tickbox and then the vehicle I just bought, puts in at the homestead rather than needing to run up there and get it. Stuff like that -- just have a play :)

arentol

Post by arentol » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 pm

As with most games these days..... When in doubt, watch a Lets Play.

Go to www.youtube.com and search for:

Lets Play Farming Simulator 2013

Find a Lets Play by someone who you like and watch it. You will learn what you need to know and maybe even be mildly entertained.
I ran one on my second monitor while playing the game and it helped a lot when I was getting started.

Yoda75

Post by Yoda75 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

ewsg wrote:Hi,

I just finished the Farming Simulator 2013 tutorial, but now I don't know what to do with certain. I was having a lot of fun with the tutorial. Now, I received a little farm with some tractors and some equipment. I do not have money to purchase a field (it costs around 100.000 and I only have 5000 in cash).

So, what do you suggest? I think this game can provide me a lot of fun and challenge, but I don't know what to do immediately after the tutorial, to where to go, what to do in order to start gaining money, etc.

What your opinions/suggestions? :)

Thanks in advance for any help.
The small, old, cheap, green tractors, are placed near important places. Select map on the PDA by pressing "i" once, then press "9" to zoom the map. Scroll with "TAB" and learn their positions, and what you find there. You should find Grain Mill, Inn (brewery), Port, Farm Shop and Freight Yard.
(You'll find a PDF file in c:/programfiles (x86)/farming simulator 2013. Manual of the game, with a map of important locations.)

Pressing TAB will lead you to a red harvester, lined up at a fully grown field of wheat. Hire a worker to harvest the field.
Go fetch the yellow-green tractor (The Bührer), hitch a front weight and the tipper, drive it to the field - where the harvester works.

Then sell ALL the little tractors. You wont need those. You start with 4 of those.
Press "ESC", on page 3 you can reset your vehicles. Reset those green ones back to your farm, and drive them to the Vehicle Shop. Better prices for selling them at the shop. You see a clue, when you get there.

Don't sell what's in your silos just yet. Wait till you get 'Great Demand', on certain grain. Then fill up the tipper, and drive it to the shop who pays best (great demand).
A good tip is to slow time, when selling. If not, prices drop radically, if you have delivered grain to the shop - when the clock passes over a full hour.
If you haven't delivered anything on great demand, the prices will vary a little, every hour, until it ends. You could also wait some hours, for better prices. The tip here is to save the game, at the start of a demand. Rush the clock, to see how high the prices can go. Load back and play normally, while constantly checking the price. When you're happy, with the price, go real time, drive and sell. ;)

When wheat field is fully harvested, cultivte it and sow CANOLA. And buy a fertilizer tank, to fertilize the field. It doubles the yeld output!! I've tested it!
Grow and harvest canola, until canola gets great demand. Then go for wheat, untill great demand. Then Barley. Or Barley first, then wheat. Depends if you've had great demand on one of them, while growing canola.

When you afford, buy the field next to your starter field. Grow more grain. :coolnew:

Remember to keep the implements/tractors and stuff, at low numbers. And keep an eye on maintenace cost of each stuff. Only buy what you really need, or if you want to replace an old tool or something.
You should buy some beehouses, to pay of some of the maintenace cost of your machine park. Or rather, maybe one solar panel. :)

This should give you a good start, and I hope I gave you some good advices. Happy farming! :gamer:

ewsg

Post by ewsg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi,

Many thanks to you all for all your help and attention. :)

I'll try tonight. I'll follow your suggestions, tips and ideas. Hope I get to build a great farm

Cpt.Ass
Boardurlaub/Boardholidays

Post by Cpt.Ass » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Otherwise go join a multiplayer farm :) Then you'll see how it all goes around :)
Steam: mikerowe666 - feel free to add me.

markothevrba

Post by markothevrba » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Look, if you're new the very first thing I would recommend is to make a new save file and cheat yourself some money, so you can test out what stuff does and figure out how the game works before you start your career.

The most basic stuff you need to know is.

- Own a field
- Cultivate field
- Sow field
- Fertilize field
- Harvest

This is the most basic mechanic in this game. Another important thing to do is to use the timescale. Set timescale to "realtime" when sowing then speed it up when you are waiting for the field to grow. You do this so the fields don't grow in patches.

Another tip I would give you is to NOT SELL crop from silo's. Wait for great demand, trust me, it's worth it.

These were the basic tips, but now I will tell you what I recommend doing so you can't fail. (what I do)

Start a new game, set it to EASY (far less grinding- only difference).
First thing is to sell the 4 kramers (if you will do missions, sell 3). TIP: Drive them to the store, don't sell them from the shop menu ("P" key), if you take them to the shop you get 25% more for them.
Next thing I do is take out all the loan I can and buy a solar collector and field 15. Use the plow to join field 16 and 15 (press O when using plow to create field betwen them)
Now you are pretty much set in terms of money, there's no way you can go bankrupt.

Equipment that I would highly recommend buying:
Seeder: Amazone cayena 6001, so you don't have to cultivate
Cultivator: Horsch terrano 8fx
Fertilizer: amazone ZA-M 1501

Another thing you can do is to leave 1 kramer and buy a mower for it (the yellow one), drive it up to the golf course, set mission time interval to 2 minutes and just wait for the "mow the golf course" missions to pop up, accept them, mow your heart out and recieve big moneys *thumbsup*

This is what I remember right now, I am planning on figuring out a "perfect" starting strategy, like I had for FS2011, but I'm just lazy :zunge:

WearierJester

Post by WearierJester » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Great advice up above, I would also suggest watching all the videos in this post:

http://forum.farming-simulator.com/view ... 28&t=45510

ewsg

Post by ewsg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Once again, thanks for all your help. :)

But, where can I find the store? I can't find it on the map.

Pressing P does the same effect?

Yoda75

Post by Yoda75 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:51 pm

ewsg wrote:Once again, thanks for all your help. :)

But, where can I find the store? I can't find it on the map.

Pressing P does the same effect?
Yeah, nothing else matters. :p When buying that is. If you are gonna sell something, it's better to sell at the shop. You get 20% better prices.

I buy with "p", then reset it to the farm (ESC and a page there you can choose to reset implements/tractors/harveseters...). :)

WearierJester

Post by WearierJester » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 pm

The physical location of the store is in the town just north of your farm.

ewsg

Post by ewsg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks. :)

I got! Now, I picked up one of that missions which needs the front loader. I have already purchased the front loader and have driven to the point marked on the map. But, when I reached that point, nothing happened, and there was nothing there. The green circle was blinking in the map, however.

Do I have to do something more, to purchase any additional equipment to the front loader? :)

Top Soil

Post by Top Soil » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:40 am

If you take more than 10 minutes to get there you fail the mission.

Front loader missions have a pallet sitting on the ground that you need to get, and then take somewhere else. It should appear on the PDA map as an icon, if memory serves. Sometimes it's not blatantly obvious, but there should be a pallet on the ground someplace to get.

I stopped doing missions as soon as I figured out that I could speed up the game in between harvests.

CornetPlayer

Post by CornetPlayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 am

Forget the solar panel for now. That takes 27 days to pay off. You need money now in order to buy land and equipment. Max-out your loan to $200k and buy the adjoining field, as others have said. Create one big field from 15 and 16. Plant canola. Buy a fertilizer and spread it. Sell your cultivator and seeder and buy the Amazone 6001. This way a single hired worker can plant and cultivate simultaneously.

I disagree with others; sell the silo stock while prices, especially canola are good. The prices will continue to decline over time. My game is over 65 in-game days; canola has dropped from $1250 to just over $500.

Have fun and explore.