Fraps and low FPS while recording

sfy

Fraps and low FPS while recording

Post by sfy »

has anyone else had a drastic drop in FPS when recording in game using Fraps? during the game, prior to pressing F9 to record i get around 55-60 FPS. but as soon as i start recording it drops down to 9 FPS. i have the latest official update and am using the full version of Fraps.

i use windows XP 32, which only allows you to use roughly 3.5 GB of memory which may be the cause but i wondered if anyone has had this issue. my Video card is an Asus black knight 4870 with 1GB memory and 256 bit memory interface. DX9. and i have a Phantom II x4 955 CPU running at 3.2Ghz
Last edited by sfy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostsee75

Re: Fraps and low FPS while recording

Post by Ostsee75 »

Video Capture Settings klick on 30 FPS
sfy

Post by sfy »

i am using the 30fps mode, and have reduced screen capture to half size. still the same.
Fragr92_

Post by Fragr92_ »

Well capturing video is a demanding task.
The PC is already occupied with running the game and then on top of that you make it work even harder by making it record and encode video and audio and store it on your harddrive.
This is why you generally need a decent computer to record decent quality gameplay footage. And by doing some quick research on your computer components i found out that both your processor and your GPU are 4-5 years old, which is a really long time when it comes to computer components. With this said, i think your problem is simply that your computer is outdated and the easiest way to solve this problem would be to try and buy a new one. I wouldn't recommend trying to upgrade your current components because your motherboard/psu will just limit how much the system can be upgraded and how effective the upgrade will be. Furthermore there's no need to still be using Windows XP. Windows 7 is just as good in the way of functionality plus it lets you have unlimited ammounts of RAM (there is of course a limit but it's so high that normal desktop PCs won't be reaching it any time soon) and it supports DirectX 10/11.
A new PC in the price range of 1100-1700 Euros will last you about 2, maybe 3 years if you're willing to stretch it a bit, before you'll want to start upgrading things (mainly the GPU and maybe adding some more RAM). If you buy a PC for less than that you're most likely going to have to replace it a lot sooner which will be more expensive in the long run.
However, if you don't have the money to spend on a new PC there's always workarounds like recording (and playing) at a lower resolution, lowering the graphical options ingame and using the Task Manager to shut down unneeded/unwanted background processes that might be hogging your system resources.
If neither of those work you can try reformatting your windows harddrive. This can increase your overall performance since Windows makes a habbit of collecting hidden background processes that you don't really need and filling your registry with stuff.

Other than that i don't know what to tell you.
Don't put up that which you can put down today.
sfy

Post by sfy »

yeah, my system is a little "old" no denying that. funny thing though is that of the games i play (TDU1 &2, ETS2, Project Cars) this is the only one giving me these problems. but sometimes that's just how it goes.

if only money grew on trees, it would be so much easier to upgrade. but its started already, just threw in a new 1TB HDD and watching Newegg carefully for a deal on a SSD.

thanks for the replies, even though noone gave me a magical "fix-it-all for free" hint :mrgreen:
sfy

Post by sfy »

ok, well my graphics card gave up and died on me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9bPpar ... e=youtu.be

so now after getting a EVGA GTX660, i seem to be getting around 30 FPS when recording.

(btw, i refuse to buy a pre-built PC. much rather piece it together myself, doing the research is half the fun.)
herrman

Post by herrman »

sfy wrote:ok, well my graphics card gave up and died on me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9bPpar ... e=youtu.be

so now after getting a EVGA GTX660, i seem to be getting around 30 FPS when recording.

(btw, i refuse to buy a pre-built PC. much rather piece it together myself, doing the research is half the fun.)
Nice video... something to remember!!
It's a pity for the expense: like you said money doesn't grow on trees...
But being a HD4000 it's been a good thing to waste it. You replaced it and solved your previous problem
The same happened to me and my HD4850x2: with an Athlon64 x2 6000+ performances were indecent, but I didn't wait for it to die and changed it with a GTX460. Another planet. Now i'm on a 670...

And about prebuilt pc... you're right: mostly they make you pay for the brand, with ultracheap and obsolete components, except if you spend £3000 for a £1200 comp
Guy, if you're gonna ask for help remember that we're not beside you in front of your screen. So, please, help us helping you by giving us some details such as log.txt, hardware details...

And remember, this is a forum. It is different from Twitter. Here you can, no, you MUST use more than 150 digits to explain your thoughts

Thanks