What are some really good maps ?

JoeFarmer2

What are some really good maps ?

Post by JoeFarmer2 »

Currently playing Two Rivers. Out of the 30 or 40 i have downloaded i believe this to be one of the best. Is very realistic in looks easy to get around wide rage of field sizes and layout in general is outstanding. My hats of to the creaters of this map well thought out and planned and well executed and im sure alot of work and testing.
Wevee

Re: What are some really good maps ?

Post by Wevee »

If it is large maps you are looking for, I agree, Two Rivers is your best option right now. There are too many that are just the original map with the buildings relocated nearer to the farm, I think I have seen at least 10 versions of Hagenstadt and most are not that different.

If you are willing to try smaller maps there are 2 I really like for challenges:
Springhill http://fs-uk.com/mods/view/28474 really meant for smaller machinery, but works great with combines like this http://fs-uk.com/mods/view/29242
Notkonphohja http://fs-uk.com/mods/view/28417 This map is really nice, the only thing I don't like is the potato/beet shed is right next to a wall so it makes it difficult to unload beets
nelsonrm

Post by nelsonrm »

I have tried a dozen or so maps and have to agree that Two Rivers is head and shoulders above the rest, especially if you are tired of the same maps being rehashed a little.
A single light dispels darkness
isycz

Post by isycz »

If you say what you like about a map, it might help map-makers develop maps that are more in-tune with the community that play them.

I see many issues around starting equipment and fields. A shame really because a good map might not be played simply because the user does not know how to customise starting conditions. Maps could include a mod that enables the customisation of starting conditions. In its simplest form it can simply be X amount of cash for you to spend on equipment and fields.
wizard4278

Post by wizard4278 »

Another thing that map makers should keep in mind is that when you include pics and/or a video at the point of download, make these as infomative as possible. So many times the makers include pictures of just driving pulling a wagon or countless pictures of combines working. As players, we are all aware what a tractor or combine look like. What we want to see is a virtual tour of the map, highlighting what is included in the download, and the layout of locations, like the main farm, the cow lot etc.
Professional Wise-Ass ~ Purveyor of Sarcastic Humor ~ Part-Time Alcoholic
~If you think I'm bad here, you should see me on Facebook~
Top Soil

Post by Top Soil »

Absolutely agreed. I've downloaded and tried just about every mod map out there for 2013, and 99% of them are ruined for me by just one or two little things.

The majority of them make me lose interest due to either general clutter, or rediculously cramped spaces around the courtyard. Why make a huge map with massive fields, if you jam the stupid silo triggers in a tiny space between useless buildings. Why completely redesign a nice open courtyard and make it a maze to get your trailer in there to feed your animals. To many of them have otherwise nice layouts, but for some weird reason they drop a billion collidable fences everywhere.

Some maps have too many collidable trees in the wrong places. Some make you drive far too far over very boring featureless landscape to get to the BGA or animals. One otherwise nice map (Stora Bertilstorp) put the BGA really close, but annoyed me by eliminating several fields to make a massive grass field where I would rather have grains. I can make grass fields easily if I want them, the reverse is more work.

Best original map is clearly Two Rivers. The best hagenstedt edit is the one by Mario - he eliminates useless buildings or rock strewn median land and puts the animal pastures there instead. He opens the space between buildings to you can drive large equipment around. He's moved useful stuff like the straw/grass sell point just a bit out of the way but still handy. And he didn't consume any of the nice close fields to do it. Also love how he put the solid manure in the same shed as the cows eat, rather than that concrete bunker.
Top Soil

Post by Top Soil »

I guess a faster way to say all that is:

1) Make it convenient to utilise content, and interesting - without being claustrophobic
physbo

Post by physbo »

Ive been trying to find a map that has something like a high way or something that way its a little more fun to use semi's to transport product to sell, i hate all the little turns and wrecking with this physics engine. Like the other reason id like one with a highway, is when you download the bmw car's or any other car, your could play on the highway while waiting to harvest lol
wizard4278

Post by wizard4278 »

Top Soil wrote:Absolutely agreed. I've downloaded and tried just about every mod map out there for 2013, and 99% of them are ruined for me by just one or two little things.

The majority of them make me lose interest due to either general clutter, or rediculously cramped spaces around the courtyard. Why make a huge map with massive fields, if you jam the stupid silo triggers in a tiny space between useless buildings. Why completely redesign a nice open courtyard and make it a maze to get your trailer in there to feed your animals. To many of them have otherwise nice layouts, but for some weird reason they drop a billion collidable fences everywhere.
Exactly Mr. Top. A perfect example of cramped and cluttered is the OGF Map. It also features automatic garage doors on EVERYTHING, making it nearly impossible to find the piece of equipment you're driving around looking for. The courtyard itself is like a maze, with all it's twists and turns. The countryside is vast and open. The work put into this map is amazing and a nice concept (I like the 2 story barn) but getting around is a whole new game in itself.
Professional Wise-Ass ~ Purveyor of Sarcastic Humor ~ Part-Time Alcoholic
~If you think I'm bad here, you should see me on Facebook~
sfy

Post by sfy »

try out the Central Kansas 2.1 map. big fields, medium fields and a cluster of small fields at the bottom. plenty of room in the farms courtyard to maneuver stuff as well. its there between 7 and 8.
horseunderwater

Post by horseunderwater »

I play on the central kansas map and find it nice and open plenty of grass for hay or silage lots of fields you can join togther all in all a nice map
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

my issue with the kansas map is, it is a american map but all the buildings are german. i can't wait till a mid size uk map is released.
Alienware PC.
dipi148

Post by dipi148 »

hello guys, I've read that the map two rivers is one of the most beautiful. I would like to try it, but then I can not find it! can anyone help me? thanks :biggrin2:
Wevee

Post by Wevee »

dipi148 wrote:hello guys, I've read that the map two rivers is one of the most beautiful. I would like to try it, but then I can not find it! can anyone help me? thanks :biggrin2:

English version http://fs-uk.com/mods/view/29021

German version http://www.modhoster.com/mods/two-rivers--3
JoeFarmer2

Post by JoeFarmer2 »

I have tried SpringHill not a fan and i am currently downloading Notkonpohjato give it a shot. I have also played the central kansas map it is a nice map but needs a little more detail. Oh wow yes there is way to many hacked up chopped up versions of the original map. Big in Paradise is a very nice map as well but finding it very difficlut to play single player. Not a big fan of small tight cornered maps like to be able to get machinery in and out with out issue. I look for nice detail easy to use maps. Thanks for the input yall. :mrgreen: