Poor Steam Buyers

pigpen

Re: Poor Steam Buyers

Post by pigpen »

the VAT may be why it is cheaper on steam.
Alienware PC.
SgtMajor

Post by SgtMajor »

Alagos wrote:Make sure you set the settings to not use a beta, start fs and steam will install version 2.0..
Not sure what you're talking about......My Beta Participation in settings at Steam shows, "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs".

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,
Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker »

Dexadrinne wrote:Cant say I'm IMPRESSED at all with Steam or GIANTS on this one. Bought the $14.99 because i already owned FS2013 on Steam. So what because i payed a little less than it being sold on GIANTS web site all Steam players have to wait over a week? Pretty pathetic. COME ON you guys have HAD ages to get you're sync times right. No excuse for the extra wait at all.
It's not because of some mistake on Giants' part. The delayed Steam release, is to maximize retail sales. If people had the alternative to get the game on Steam on day one, some would, and Giants and the game stores wouldn't make as much money. Thus a later release on Steam.
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

According to other threads here, the official release date is 10/10/13 but you can buy the direct download early (today).
I'm still not sure I will buy it as the vehicles I see just wouldn't get used. <-- sadface

Bob. :hi:
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

I'll pass judgement after the Steam version releases since no one knows for certain about the free gift vehicles. But hopefully Giant's will do the right thing and give it Steam users also. It's silly enough that we have to wait an extra week and not doing so is like flipping Steam players the big middle finger.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, exclusive content $ucks, everyone ought to get the same thing. Farming simulator being on Steam brought the franchise ALOT more exposure than it would have gotten on its own. It's how I got started as a FS fan and a lot of other people I know. It's bad enough in my book that they brought this Titanium to console users first when it's PC gamers that initially made the series such a success.

/End of rant
Quaksen

Post by Quaksen »

NickelPlate wrote:I'll pass judgement after the Steam version releases since no one knows for certain about the free gift vehicles. But hopefully Giant's will do the right thing and give it Steam users also. It's silly enough that we have to wait an extra week and not doing so is like flipping Steam players the big middle finger.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, exclusive content $ucks, everyone ought to get the same thing. Farming simulator being on Steam brought the franchise ALOT more exposure than it would have gotten on its own. It's how I got started as a FS fan and a lot of other people I know. It's bad enough in my book that they brought this Titanium to console users first when it's PC gamers that initially made the series such a success.

/End of rant
While it is a rant, you have to remember one thing:
Buying it on Steam, causes Giants to get LESS money than if you buy it direct from them. (Steam takes 30% or so.)
In that aspect, it's quite fair to have 2 tractors as a bonus. The pre-order back in the day had an ATV and a tractor. The ATV has later been released for all to use freely.
Higgings

Post by Higgings »

Still,.... it is Giants own dicision to all so sell it via Steam.
So it cant be all THAT bad :)
NickelPlate

Post by NickelPlate »

Quaksen wrote: While it is a rant, you have to remember one thing:
Buying it on Steam, causes Giants to get LESS money than if you buy it direct from them. (Steam takes 30% or so.)
In that aspect, it's quite fair to have 2 tractors as a bonus. The pre-order back in the day had an ATV and a tractor. The ATV has later been released for all to use freely.
I understand that Steam gets a cut perfectly. Regardless of the cut that Steam gets, it's still money in Giant's coffers through the largest digital game sales distribution service worldwide that they wouldn't get otherwise. I never even heard of farming simulator until I saw the ads for FS2011 running on Steam and I've been a loyal follower since. I'd be really interested to know just how many copies they've sold through Steam vs. direct. My guess is without Steam it would still be a relatively obscure niche title with a cult following and not enjoying anywhere near the level of press coverage and commercial success that I'm glad Giants has been able to obtain as I'm a big fan of the series and wish to support them. FS2013 is still listed in the top 100 of most played games on Steam about half way down. That's pretty darned impressive one year after release for something that's not a first person shooter and is a reflection of a much larger customer base.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Anyway, my point is exclusive content for certain customers and not others alienates and places your customers unfairly into good, better and best groups. I know everyone does pre-order bonuses and things of that ilk these days and sadly it's become the norm industry wide. If you want to entice people to buy from you direct or pre-order, then give them a cash discount. I still maintain everyone regardless of platform or purchase method should be treated equally.
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

that 220 hp. lambo is nice.
Alienware PC.
Cailean556

Post by Cailean556 »

sfy wrote:
simpleton1978 wrote:Or get it now, or wait a week.. up to you :) I definitely have no issues in supporting the developer with more bucks... but I rarely find a game I enjoy as much as this one. Didnt see the two tractors as a game changer, but for those of us that enjoy to have as much official content as we can.. I definitely feel it was worth the investment. Quite a nice surprise honestly.

honestly doubt i'll buy it at all. Classics DLC never gets used, Ursus DLC never gets used......even though it has the bale wrapper people like. i like to support Giants, but just giving them money for something that will never go up on my server just does not make fiscal sense to me.
No one uses Ursus? No one told me that... Over half my tractor fleet in my main game is Ursus, a 5044, a 11024 and a 15014. Plus I use the baler AND the auto-loader and I used to use the trailer. They're cheap, they get the job done and that's a win. Although my main game is now on hold because I've moved to Westbridge Hills or whatever it's called.

Obviously, because I'm into modern stuff I don't use the 'Classic Pack' - I tried it out though and the Schluter 150hp can still be used on a modern farm - but if I found a nice little 'old times' map I'd probably have a Classic farm and use only the older equipment. Only gripe I have is that the 'Official' Classics Pack shows up in mods, not in the main shop front. :sadnew:

And about Titanium...the only gripe I have (everyone has gripes) - currently, still have to test a few things... - is that the new exhaust/heat plume effect wasn't patched onto all the tractors. Oh, that and the grass isn't green in the US... :lol:
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

Cailean556 wrote:
sfy wrote:
simpleton1978 wrote:Or get it now, or wait a week.. up to you :) I definitely have no issues in supporting the developer with more bucks... but I rarely find a game I enjoy as much as this one. Didnt see the two tractors as a game changer, but for those of us that enjoy to have as much official content as we can.. I definitely feel it was worth the investment. Quite a nice surprise honestly.

honestly doubt i'll buy it at all. Classics DLC never gets used, Ursus DLC never gets used......even though it has the bale wrapper people like. i like to support Giants, but just giving them money for something that will never go up on my server just does not make fiscal sense to me.
No one uses Ursus? No one told me that... Over half my tractor fleet in my main game is Ursus, a 5044, a 11024 and a 15014. Plus I use the baler AND the auto-loader and I used to use the trailer. They're cheap, they get the job done and that's a win. Although my main game is now on hold because I've moved to Westbridge Hills or whatever it's called.

Obviously, because I'm into modern stuff I don't use the 'Classic Pack' - I tried it out though and the Schluter 150hp can still be used on a modern farm - but if I found a nice little 'old times' map I'd probably have a Classic farm and use only the older equipment. Only gripe I have is that the 'Official' Classics Pack shows up in mods, not in the main shop front. :sadnew:

And about Titanium...the only gripe I have (everyone has gripes) - currently, still have to test a few things... - is that the new exhaust/heat plume effect wasn't patched onto all the tractors. Oh, that and the grass isn't green in the US... :lol:
I think sfy was talking from a personal stand point and the server he runs 24/7. Not everyone has or will download these packs just to play on his server.
sfy

Post by sfy »

right. i would never ask someone to spend 20 dollars just to join me on my server. i know others are in fact running the dlc on their servers and i hope they get enough people who join for them to enjoy it.

right now i have a server running that is based on the More Realistic mod. the dlc cannot be converted over to be MR compatible.
the Classics pack was converted, but the tractors in it are generally too weak to be of use. and of course, the Ursus is also not MR convertible.

so for me to buy the titanium dlc AND pay the monthly rental on my server seems a bit crazy when they are not currently compatible.
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

Give me a few more days sfy (to get myself settled back in at home) and I will definitely join you on your server. I have fallen head over heals in love with the mr mod and now all my farms are converted to it. I'm still struggling a bit after the hospital fiasco but soon my friend ..... very soon! :lol: