Grass

OrcaAmity

Grass

Post by OrcaAmity »

I selected a seed thinking it was another crop and it was grass as in me covering part of one of my fields with grass as a lawn. The stupid thing is, I can't plough it back up to get my part of that field back. Somebody please explain what is the point in that seed? Who wants to cover one of their fields buy turning it into a lawn so they have a crop field missing that means it will cost so many thousands in the long run. What is the point in that seed? Anyone that does go for that and I have no idea why, what is the lawn going to be used for? Nothing apart from the lack of planting there again and losing a lot of thousands over the lack of not being able to plant there anymore. I can't get my head around this one.
juf.de

Re: Grass

Post by juf.de »

Grass is neeed to feed the sheep and cows, is long ago, but i'm sure this is mentioned in the tutorial. Grass can be removed again by using a plow and turning "allow creating field" on. But check where you plow, because otherwise you fields and the surrounding look like stuff, so start in the middle of the field to test it out and turn it off after you finished or when lowering it again you get some bit of field at that point.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

juf.de wrote:Grass is neeed to feed the sheep and cows, is long ago, but i'm sure this is mentioned in the tutorial. Grass can be removed again by using a plow and turning "allow creating field" on. But check where you plow, because otherwise you fields and the surrounding look like stuff, so start in the middle of the field to test it out and turn it off after you finished or when lowering it again you get some bit of field at that point.
My plough never got any of my field back. Luckily I only lost about 30 foot of it. I still want to get it back. I can't imagine who wants to lose a field and turn it into a useless and pointless lawn. I thought I was planting corn and I got this. By the way, how do I plant corn? Thanks.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

You will have to buy a sowing machine capable of sowing corn, just check the description in the shop, there you will see, which sowing machine can sow which fruittype.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

When you have the plough selected, (which it should be after you pick it up) press lb and look at the help menu at the top left. There should be an option to allow create fields, assigned to button Y. Press Y, and it should change to read "limit to fields". You can now use the plough to plough up grass, which lets you expand, join, or create new fields. You can plough almost anywhere that isn't a hard surface, like a main road. Dirt and gravel tracks can be ploughed, in my experience.
You can only do this yourself, if you hire a worker to plough, the option reverts back to only working on fields, as does it if you detach the plough and pick it up again, or restart the game.
If you plough too far, or change your mind, or want nice straight edges on your field, you can plant grass to straighten things up. I'd start off combining some or all of the four fields east of your farm, it's up to you if you want to leave a road through the middle.
Uses for grass include making silage, by mowing it and then either picking it up with a forage wagon and tipping it in a silage bunker at the cow farm or BGA, or by round baling and wrapping the grass to create silage bales. If I remember rightly, you need to use a tedder on the grass before a baler will pick it up (which was fixed in fs17, because you don't make silage from hay IRL).
You can also use a forage harvester to pick up grass, but by the time you can afford one you're better off planting corn, as it yields better.
The main advantage of grass is that it doesn't need replanting after you harvest it, you just have to leave it to grow.
The disadvantage is that you can't hire a worker, because the game uses grass to define the edges of fields, so you have to do all grass working yourself, which can get tedious after a while!
You can sell grass at any of the grass mounds around the map, they're marked with a green tipping trailer symbol, but it's not worth a lot until you've made it into hay or silage.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Thanks for this.
I tried what you said and there is no Y button mentioned in the help section. I pressed the button to change the tool selection and there's no Y button mentioned through that either. I tried RB just encase and the same thing. The Y button isn't mentioned anywhere when I have a plough hooked-up and I tried two different ploughs. By the way, I'm playing FS15, not FS17.
Guil

Post by Guil »

With the plough selected press Lb and see does any option say allow create new fields. If not try Rb and if still nothing try Lb and Rb together. It's one or the other.
Guil

Post by Guil »

This is taken from the sticky at the top of this forum. You can get most of your answers there in the first post.
https://youtu.be/_3JxJPejyAM
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Are you actually using a plough, or a cultivator? I just noticed in another thread you refer to the blue plough that you start with, but the only blue plough in game is a fair bit bigger than the starting equipment.
The only tools you can use to create fields are in the ploughs section of the shop.
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Guil wrote:With the plough selected press Lb and see does any option say allow create new fields. If not try Rb and if still nothing try Lb and Rb together. It's one or the other.
I tried all the controls and the one for creating a field isn't there. Encase I missed something, do I need a special plough? If I do, which one? Thanks.
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Guil wrote:This is taken from the sticky at the top of this forum. You can get most of your answers there in the first post.
https://youtu.be/_3JxJPejyAM
Okay. Thanks.
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Hairy Bob wrote:Are you actually using a plough, or a cultivator? I just noticed in another thread you refer to the blue plough that you start with, but the only blue plough in game is a fair bit bigger than the starting equipment.
The only tools you can use to create fields are in the ploughs section of the shop.
I did try it with that blue plough. I also tried it with the big red one that unfolds and the wheels raise over it.
Guil

Post by Guil »

The control is definitely listed there. As hairybob said, make sure you are trying to use a plow and not a cultivator. If the option isn't showing you are likely using a cultivator.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Just to be super clear, this is a plough https://goo.gl/images/72ZaDX
This is a cultivator https://goo.gl/images/VgvvRg
Either can be used to prepare a seedbed for planting, but only a plough can create new fields.
I'm starting to think you're just trolling us now, although I try not to ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by ignorance.
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Hairy Bob wrote:Just to be super clear, this is a plough https://goo.gl/images/72ZaDX
This is a cultivator https://goo.gl/images/VgvvRg
Either can be used to prepare a seedbed for planting, but only a plough can create new fields.
I'm starting to think you're just trolling us now, although I try not to ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by ignorance.
I see your point and yes I did get them mixed-up. Thanks so much for that.
No I wasn't trying to troll any of you. Sometimes I have problems and misread things. I'm sorry about that. And many thanks for your help.