Lumbering

OrcaAmity

Lumbering

Post by OrcaAmity »

Is it worth doing lumbering? For example, how much would I get for selling a trailer of logs? I don't want to buy all the lumbering equipment and find out it takes too long and the pay is very little. This is why I quit planting potatoes and sweet beet. It takes too long to harvest and the pay is not enough. Potatoes are worse because they cost too much to plant, they take too long to harvest and they don't make enough money. Also each harvester for potatoes and sweet beet are very expensive harvesters. I don't want to make the same mistake again for the third time with lumbering this time.
W1der

Re: Lumbering

Post by W1der »

There is loads of money in it ... but it is also time consuming!
Cutting the trees is no sweat ... but getting them off the ground and on to a trailer can be a pain before you get your skill level up ....

If you do not have the patience, and if you are playing on a PC, you might want to look for a trailer with auto load for transportation ... :this:

Personally I prefer to do forestry on a dedicated map for this ...
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

W1der wrote:There is loads of money in it ... but it is also time consuming!
Cutting the trees is no sweat ... but getting them off the ground and on to a trailer can be a pain before you get your skill level up ....

If you do not have the patience, and if you are playing on a PC, you might want to look for a trailer with auto load for transportation ... :this:

Personally I prefer to do forestry on a dedicated map for this ...
I'm playing the Xbox One version. The way I look at things, even when the money can be good, if a job is going to take too long I could be making a lot of money doing something else that is a quicker job such as harvesting a crop with a 45-foot header instead of messing about trying to get logs to steady themselves straight for me to lower them on a trailer. This is why harvesting potatoes and sweet beet takes so long, the header on both of the harvesters is narrower than the harvester itself and it requires driving up and down a field more times where the jobs takes longer. Some people look into the amount they get paid and not compare how long it takes to do one of these jobs. Harvesting Field 36 with potatoes or sweet beet took me a few hours and each trailer load made me just over $10,000. The time it took me to harvest that field I could have harvested about six to seven fields of canola and made about $19,000 for each trailer load that means a lot more harvesting done in that time and a lot more money made for each sale. Corn doesn't make as much but it can be harvested just as fast. Wheat and barley mostly makes less than canola for me and there's times when I wonder if the money on top from wheat and barley bales totals more or near the same as canola. The other day from one field I made over $20,000 from selling bales of straw from barley. Then I wonder even though the barely itself made less for each sale compared to the canola, I wonder if the bales on top from the barley made me more money in total than the canola. As you, we can't make bales from canola. Even though making bales of straw and taking them to the barn takes time, I don;t mind doing that as long as the money made is worth it. I find it best to grow wheat and barley close to my farm so there's not so far to drive back and forth.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I get your point ...

I look at "time" differently from you ... The amount of time I put in with manual work is "free" time ...
I try to get as much money out of every day as possible (within reason) ... and I usually play with time set to x1 for the most part ... probably spending around 6-8 hours of my own time for every 24 hours passing withing the game.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
husher

Post by husher »

its well worth it just clearing badly placed trees on a map to make your fields more accessable can be very profitable:
an oak tree trunk goes for £35k
the branches for another £20k
an intact ash carried on the back of your buaffalo can go for £14-£15k
belive me it all adds up just clearing a single line of trees can soon bring in a couple of hundred k
and once you get in to doing the plantable stuff your are talking millions depending on the size of the forest

stick with it and lumber when you are waiting for your crops to grow, its well worth the time.
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

Logging is the most profitable enterprise you can get into, and probably the most frustrating to begin with, without mods.
If you have the cash to buy a scorpionking and a timber runner, you can make it easier.
Bearing in mind that the scorpionking can only cut down fir trees (the tall ones with straight trunks), find somewhere with plenty of trees to cut down, and park the trailer facing away from them. Then take your scorpionking, turn the harvesting unit on, set the cut length as long as it will go, line it up with the tree trunk and cut it down. Now before you cut the tree into lengths, pull it towards the trailer so the tree is in line with the trailer, then when you cut it, the cut lengths will drop straight into the trailer, rather than having to pick them up off the ground.
It takes a bit of practice, but when you get the hang of it it's the simplest way to load the trailer, and a trailer full of logs can be worth hundreds of thousands, depending on the difficulty level and how high you stack them
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

husher wrote:its well worth it just clearing badly placed trees on a map to make your fields more accessable can be very profitable:
an oak tree trunk goes for £35k
the branches for another £20k
an intact ash carried on the back of your buaffalo can go for £14-£15k
belive me it all adds up just clearing a single line of trees can soon bring in a couple of hundred k
and once you get in to doing the plantable stuff your are talking millions depending on the size of the forest

stick with it and lumber when you are waiting for your crops to grow, its well worth the time.
Thanks for letting me know. This sounds good. I want to get rid of a load of badly-placed trees because they get in the way when my helpers are at work. Can I also remove the tree stumps as well?
OrcaAmity

Post by OrcaAmity »

Hairy Bob wrote:Logging is the most profitable enterprise you can get into, and probably the most frustrating to begin with, without mods.
If you have the cash to buy a scorpionking and a timber runner, you can make it easier.
Bearing in mind that the scorpionking can only cut down fir trees (the tall ones with straight trunks), find somewhere with plenty of trees to cut down, and park the trailer facing away from them. Then take your scorpionking, turn the harvesting unit on, set the cut length as long as it will go, line it up with the tree trunk and cut it down. Now before you cut the tree into lengths, pull it towards the trailer so the tree is in line with the trailer, then when you cut it, the cut lengths will drop straight into the trailer, rather than having to pick them up off the ground.
It takes a bit of practice, but when you get the hang of it it's the simplest way to load the trailer, and a trailer full of logs can be worth hundreds of thousands, depending on the difficulty level and how high you stack them
Thanks for that information.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Use the stump grinder to remove tree stumps.