Forestry problems

Hawke67

Forestry problems

Post by Hawke67 »

Hi fellow farmers.

well, I made another atempt at forestry, and I got to ask... What the... is up with the so called physics in this game/simulator? Tryin to load logs with the buffalo (or any other forestry crane) is a pure nightmare. The logs twist and turn and seem to have a life of their own, imagine trying to load log-shaped magnets in an enviroment covered with randomly placed other magnets. Sometimes the logs simply twist themself free of the claw even tho the grip was perfect to start with.

Is there any fix to this, some mod or something maybe?

Cheers
Tom
farmboy002

Re: Forestry problems

Post by farmboy002 »

Do you have the newest update for your version of FS2015? If not you need to get it, And a auto load trailer works the best for loading logs. You can find one on almost any mod site. :hi:
Hawke67

Post by Hawke67 »

Hi Farmboy.

Yes its its updated with the latest patch, I have it on steam with the "keep updated" aktivated. Autoloading trailers isn't really an option, if I have to resort to that I may as well look at a "let's play" video of fs15 on youtube instead of playing all together.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Hawke67 wrote:Hi fellow farmers.

well, I made another atempt at forestry, and I got to ask... What the... is up with the so called physics in this game/simulator? Tryin to load logs with the buffalo (or any other forestry crane) is a pure nightmare. The logs twist and turn and seem to have a life of their own, imagine trying to load log-shaped magnets in an enviroment covered with randomly placed other magnets. Sometimes the logs simply twist themself free of the claw even tho the grip was perfect to start with.

Is there any fix to this, some mod or something maybe?

Cheers
Tom
I hear you and I totally agree ...
Some improvements has been made for FS17 that should prevent the logs from "rolling" as much as they do in FS15.
Sadly no one mentioned the aspect of that the trees acting as you said (log shaped magnets).

If it is difficult to change the physics of the logs with the game engine ... It should not be to hard to add some kind of "lock script" that initiates as soon as the logs are within the grip of the "claws" ... or something like that!?

I still have my hopes up regarding forestry in FS17 anyways ... :mrgreen:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Hawke67

Post by Hawke67 »

Hello there W1der.

Yes, I am hoping to that this will be fixed in fs17, and of corse I also hope I can afford another 35€ when its relesed. I just think its so sad that Giant really seem to completely ignore this problem. One should not be obligated to buy the next version of any game only to be able to use funktions that was said to be in the game you allready payed for. And who knows, is there really any guarantees that this, imo, huge problem isn't present in fs17 to?

I meen that, since giants havent to my knowledge even recognised that there is in fact any problem with fs15 ither, right? As things are now I ,and thousands of other, have in fact payed full price for a product that was flawed on release and still havent been fixed. I for one think that giants could offer existing kostumers who bought the flawed fs15 some form of uppgrade offer to a reduced price or (if that is to costly) at least admit that they sold us a substandard product.

Anyways, thx for the shoulder, and for the patience listening to (reading) all of my whining.

Cheers
Tom
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Hawke67 wrote:Hello there W1der.

Yes, I am hoping to that this will be fixed in fs17, and of corse I also hope I can afford another 35€ when its relesed. I just think its so sad that Giant really seem to completely ignore this problem. One should not be obligated to buy the next version of any game only to be able to use funktions that was said to be in the game you allready payed for. And who knows, is there really any guarantees that this, imo, huge problem isn't present in fs17 to?

I meen that, since giants havent to my knowledge even recognised that there is in fact any problem with fs15 ither, right? As things are now I ,and thousands of other, have in fact payed full price for a product that was flawed on release and still havent been fixed. I for one think that giants could offer existing kostumers who bought the flawed fs15 some form of uppgrade offer to a reduced price or (if that is to costly) at least admit that they sold us a substandard product.

Anyways, thx for the shoulder, and for the patience listening to (reading) all of my whining.

Cheers
Tom
I totally agree, I hope they fix it in Farming Simulator 17 as well. I hate it when the logs just role away and then I have to do the pick-up sequence all over again.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

these little glitches have kept me from doing forestry on any scale.. other than to meet the minimum requirements to trophy of PSN. :lol:

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

cr41g_1965 wrote:these little glitches have kept me from doing forestry on any scale
Yeah, it just makes forestry not worth playing.
cra41g_1965 wrote:.. other than to meet the minimum requirements to trophy of PSN. :lol:
:lol:

How to post your log.txt
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

Yeah, forestry's a pain, but you can get started real quick. Planning very carefully I made 1.5 million in 49.6 hours of game play using a chain saw, the STEPA FHL 13AK, the stump grinder, and all pulled by the NH T.160, on the Westbridge Hills map. I'm near the same on Bjornholm, and just getting cranked up on Sosnovka. Now that 1.5 million is clear by the way, after 750,000 in capital investments, and I'm now up to 21 ha's in Canola, wheat, corn, and barley along with Chickens galore. My point being fellow sim farmers, I've cut a few trees, and loaded a few logs; I might have a tip or two if anyone's interested. I've found forestry to be the fastest way there is to get a nice farm up and running, with cash, period, I start on normal, and sell everything I need to get started. I just "get er done," to quote Larry the Cable guy. Once you have all the money you need to start the farm you want, cash, and without having to worry about interest on huge loans the game is a real blast to say the least. I started back on 2013, but didn't really play it that much, but I picked up 15 at Walmart the other day, on sale for $19.99 USD, and I can't wait for Ver 17!

All that being said (I need to do my profile asap, I know), and at first I too found the logs to be much like Hawke67 described them, but instead of magnets, think of the collision mesh being a tad bit too big, and the physics a little touchy. I've also found using the crane much easier with the mouse because it's much more precise than a joy stick. You just have to do it enough until it becomes second nature like picking your nose (or other places :hmm: ). And, with a lot of practice I've mastered the technique from A-Z. Now I'm not saying it's not buggy, it is, but not that bad to where you can't work around it. The trick is to cut the tree to fall where you want it to. It will always fall to your left (if you do it right) at a right angle to the cut. Yeah, it does tend to roll, but like I said, plan your cut to where it falls in the flattest area possible, or if you know it's going to roll, have it fall and roll to a convenient area. Be sure you rotate the saw flat (horizontal), approach the tree "a gentle tap at a time," and when it blue circle shows up, hit Ctrl to crouch being sure to keep the saw level, because it's critical to the tree falling how you want. Next, be sure to cut all the branches by rotating the saw back to vertical, pointing it down towards the trunk, and running down the length of the tree. You'll know it's cutting when you see sawdust flying up.

Now it's important to cut the tree into equal length sections for the logs to load and ride right, as close as possible anyhow, and my trick for that is as follows. First carefully plan the cut to make sure the tree falls such that you can get your rig along side of it. Stop the back of the STEPA even with the trunk, the bottom, or big end, and cut even with the headache rack (length of the load bay with however much over hang you want to deal with). Now, positioning the camera view looking down, pull the rig up to the next section, and cut again, repeating until you have it done; I'll get to those long, skinny, and pointy pieces in a moment. Next start loading biggest to smaller, and boom up, jib in, until the big end buts against the headache rack, position and release. With practice the logs will fall how you want. Patience is a must here, and like flying, little, smooth movements at a time. You will be rewarded in the end. Now for those pesky small, pointed pieces from the tree top. Turn them around until you have the big end towards the rear of the trailer, and jam the points into the headache rack letting them drop: They want go anywhere. Last thing, when picking up the logs. First making sure the claw is wide open (both mouse buttons held down, moving downwards or back with the mouse), barely touch the ground, or log, which ever first, hold, clicking both mouse buttons down, pushing upwards then release when they close around the log, Now slowly start lifting.

Last but not least, how does one do the video's? I like doing tutorials, but don't know what software is being used nowadays. I have cam studio, will that work? Back in the days, we used something like "Fraps."
Lamborghini

Post by Lamborghini »

Honestly i dont have a lot of problems in logging. I use the liebherr wheel loader and the timber runner with a truck to transport logs
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Lamborghini wrote:Honestly i dont have a lot of problems in logging. I use the liebherr wheel loader and the timber runner with a truck to transport logs
I agree. :smileynew: I have the same setup as well, except the NH Loader DLC instead of the Liebherr's.

Hey, you should get the New Holland Loaders Pack DLC on Farming Simulator's website. It is totally free and so much better than the Liebherr's! *thumbsup*

How to post your log.txt
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

I use the NH T6 160 with the front end loader, 1000# weight on rear, and Stoll log fork, and I even load the PONSSE Buffalo with it, the cranes are too slow, and frustrating. I finally got enough money on Sosnovka (great map btw) to purchase the Ponsse equipment, and now can make a half million a day no sweat on that map. I'm up to $450, 000 (in the green!) on Bjornholm, and will buy the Possen rigs for this map too, but I'm also cultivating fields (I need more land), and starting silage on that map, not just forestry like Sonnovka, but I'm starting to do silage there too. Most people think forestry is a pain, and it is, because it's a lot of work, and you can't hire a hand to do it either. Like I said, on Sosnovka, I can do an easy half million a day, but I have to work my behind off to do it loading 8 m logs onto the Buffalo in the woods. By the way, if anyone wants to go into logging big time, Sosnovka's the map, more trees than you can cut in a life time, and BIG ones too.

"Hey, you should get the New Holland Loaders Pack DLC on Farming Simulator's website. It is totally free and so much better than the Liebherr's!"

You so right JohnDeer, I use the T6 180 SC on Sosnovka with the front end loader plus log fork, and I can load the Buffalo with it in no time. I just set me up a new mowing rig on Sossnovka (got to spend all that money on something, right), the T6 210 TT in fire engine red to match the Kuhn mowers, she's sooo purdy. :-D

Check my baby out!

And with the Kuhn mowers.

JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Cajunwolf wrote:I use the NH T6 160 with the front end loader, 1000# weight on rear, and Stoll log fork, and I even load the PONSSE Buffalo with it, the cranes are too slow, and frustrating. I finally got enough money on Sosnovka (great map btw) to purchase the Ponsse equipment, and now can make a half million a day no sweat on that map. I'm up to $450, 000 (in the green!) on Bjornholm, and will buy the Possen rigs for this map too, but I'm also cultivating fields (I need more land), and starting silage on that map, not just forestry like Sonnovka, but I'm starting to do silage there too. Most people think forestry is a pain, and it is, because it's a lot of work, and you can't hire a hand to do it either. Like I said, on Sosnovka, I can do an easy half million a day, but I have to work my behind off to do it loading 8 m logs onto the Buffalo in the woods. By the way, if anyone wants to go into logging big time, Sosnovka's the map, more trees than you can cut in a life time, and BIG one too.

"Hey, you should get the New Holland Loaders Pack DLC on Farming Simulator's website. It is totally free and so much better than the Liebherr's!"

You so right JohnDeer, I use the T6 180 SC on Sosnovka with the front end loader plus log fork, and I can load the Buffalo with it in no time. I just set me up a new mowing rig on Sossnovka (got to spend all that money on something, right), the T6 210 TT in fire engine red to match the Kuhn mowers, she's sooo purdy. :-D

Check my baby out!

And with the Kuhn mowers.

Where did you get that beast NH!?! :biggrin2:

How to post your log.txt
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

I downloaded it from one of the mod sites, farming2015mods mods I think, but it's called the "NH_T6160SCTT.zip" package, and includes the 160, 180, and 210 models along with the crawler versions, and you get to chose the colors. If you can't find it I'll send you a copy, they're awesome.
44MagnuM

Post by 44MagnuM »

Are you guys on game console or PC ? I use the PC and can't seem to make the grapple open and close on the crane style loaders ! Any hints ?