We who run a dedicated server

janfrekv

We who run a dedicated server

Post by janfrekv »

Tips and tricks - and general help - for us who run a dedicated server?
Also - REQUESTS for new features (GIANT - please read) regarding running a dedicated server
janfrekv

Re: We who run a dedicated server

Post by janfrekv »

Request:
MOTD when ppl join server.
This could contain serverinfo, regular playernames, "what to do", webpage, contact-details, URL for server mod downloads etc etc etc.

"Counter-strike" 'ish MOTD shouldn't be very hard to implement - without using mods?
Last edited by janfrekv on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

Request:
Bind server to a specific IP address.
This is particular usefull if running a "farming sim account" on for instance a windows vmware VM on a linux-server. Web-interface should (indeed!) be accessible for users, but - that's a "bit" hard to get to work at the current default setup without tweaking the server to gind to a specific IP adress (for public access).
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

Synchronising when players connect. (Do I need to say any more??)
This should not be necessairy, when we see how other MMORPG games work - even with games having hounreds (thousands?) of players connecting per hour.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

janfrekv wrote:Synchronising when players connect. (Do I need to say any more??)
This should not be necessairy, when we see how other MMORPG games work - even with games having hounreds (thousands?) of players connecting per hour.
believe it or not there are some logical differences between joining MMORPG which may just at most have a few hundred arrows, bullet or spears flying around with a short finite lifetime that can be ignored for the purposes of joining a server &/or that use server shards with only a few people in each in an ostensibly fixed world where a couple of seconds of invulnerability can be used as part of synchronising vs. FS and how synchronising would work best.
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

b101uk wrote:
janfrekv wrote:Synchronising when players connect. (Do I need to say any more??)
believe it or not there are some logical differences between joining MMORPG which may just at most have a few hundred arrows, bullet or spears flying around with a short finite lifetime that can be ignored for the purposes of joining a server &/or that use server shards with only a few people in each in an ostensibly fixed world where a couple of seconds of invulnerability can be used as part of synchronising vs. FS and how synchronising would work best.
Hmm... Not sure if I totally agree with you there, mate ;)
Have a look at for instance EVE-Online. Up to 40.000 players online at the same time, without swords flying around - but indeed some laserbeams and other "undefinded" amount of objects ;) Even stationary ones, and a live "stock-/brokers market".
I do, however, realize that budgets might be on different planets.
But - the tech is there - available. Is there (I don't know, so asking out of curiousity) any other multiplayer game out there - where all the players are brought into a hault for some 30+ seconds while others connect to "your" map?
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

janfrekv wrote:
b101uk wrote:
Hmm... Not sure if I totally agree with you there, mate ;)
Have a look at for instance EVE-Online. Up to 40.000 players online at the same time, without swords flying around - but indeed some laserbeams and other "undefinded" amount of objects ;) Even stationary ones, and a live "stock-/brokers market".
I do, however, realize that budgets might be on different planets.
But - the tech is there - available. Is there (I don't know, so asking out of curiousity) any other multiplayer game out there - where all the players are brought into a hault for some 30+ seconds while others connect to "your" map?
there may be 40000 players EVE-Online or ESO type games, but they rely heavily on server shards which just have a fraction of the amount of people on and use a lot of smoke and mirrors to make it seam like there are lots more people because the master servers and shards are doing most of that data transfer between themselves with events of short finite lifetime which can be simply ignored, FS has "events" of a lot longer duration where the game world (map) is being changed slightly which simply cannot be ignored and if the game wasn't paused would be out of date and would ultimately cause more data to have to be transferred.

its very naïve to say EVE-Online and ESO dose X, so therefor FS should also do X ;)
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

there may be 40000 players EVE-Online or ESO type games, but they rely heavily on server shards which just have a fraction of the amount of people on and use a lot of smoke and mirrors to make it seam like there are lots more people because the master servers and shards are doing most of that data transfer between themselves with events of short finite lifetime which can be simply ignored, FS has "events" of a lot longer duration where the game world (map) is being changed slightly which simply cannot be ignored and if the game wasn't paused would be out of date and would ultimately cause more data to have to be transferred.

its very naïve to say EVE-Online and ESO dose X, so therefor FS should also do X ;)
Don't think that "because a certain game does this, FS should also do this".
I'm merely trying to point out - that other MASSIVE multiplayer games are able to "smoothly" log in new players while game is running.
FS doesn't transfer much data through online-sessions (haven't measured the amount, but looking at bandwith usage tells me it doesn't transfer a lot).

And it's not that FS is a timecritical game, where you risk loosing something while syncing, but it's rather an irritating moment when you run an open server.

And - are there any other online games "out there" which interupts gameplay for so long, when new players connect?
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

Anyone has any idea if multiplayer/dedicated server has had any tweak(s) for upcoming fs17?
Seen a lot of info about the game in general, but not much (any?) about dedicated server...
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

@janfrekv: Stegei, the lead developer of the game posted some info a little while ago why the synchronisation in the game works the way it does right now: viewtopic.php?f=831&t=93271&p=714056#p714056

Hope this helps to clarify things a little.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
janfrekv

Post by janfrekv »

Looks awsome - will be very interesting to see how this turns out with FS17 :) :) Thanks for the heads up, and the link :)