DDS Dummy

rmf304

DDS Dummy

Post by rmf304 »

I'm trying to repaint the bodies of some public Peterbilt 379s, but I'm having a heck of a time getting my stripes to line up correctly or show up at all in some cases. Can someone explain the dds areas for a body texture to me, or maybe there is a template somewhere? I watched a YouTube video with the guy saying "this are is the hood, this area is the body, and this area is best to just leave alone", while never pointing out an area, which just confused the stuff out of me even more.
Cajunwolf

Re: DDS Dummy

Post by Cajunwolf »

Those are usually what is called an image sprite that's wrapped (UV wrapping) around the model, so to speak, and the best tool for working with DDS (Direct Draw Surface) files is Photoshop with Nvidia's dds tools installed. I usually work with a png, and once finished convert to dds. You have to remember a lot of those images use mip maps, and you have to regenerate the correct amount of mips for a particular type of setup. There are a lot of tutorials out there, and YouTube tutorials are not always the best when trying to learn something like this.
rmf304

Post by rmf304 »

Thanks for the info! I'll check the forums here and see what I can find. If I want a solid color for this particular truck, no problems. But wish for some pin striping and I might as well wish for the Fort Knox door key lol. I can get the stripes to show up, no problem. Just can't get them aligned. Is that something I just need to fool with until it's right?
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

Read the pdf book, Modding for Dummy's that comes with the game.It has a section on unwrapping textures, painting them, and re-wrapping. There are tools you can use to make it work right, pin strips and all. You need to download Bender, it's free.
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

the 379 pete like any other dds texture files I have messed wit are tricky to work with each dds texture file for each vehicle are custom layed out if it all ready two toned you can use that line as reference line but if not they can be impossible to work with I have releases some of the 379 pete that I have changed the color scheme's on from newholland colors to just plain black and red but they was not hard to do since they was two already you have to use the line in file anywhere off that break line will not work and its still tricky

Also Not Sure what you use to open your dds file I use paint.net it opens dds and will resave as dds file
Dell XPS 720 Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0ghz
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Patch 1.4.4 Windows 7 home
Playing through a Sanyo 50" tv
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

Well to paint textures for 3D models properly you need to be proficient at UV unwrapping and re wrapping, and you can use bender to help paint in more detail.
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

Cajunwolf wrote:Well to paint textures for 3D models properly you need to be proficient at UV unwrapping and re wrapping, and you can use bender to help paint in more detail.
to make them maybe but I only fool with texture files that mods already have
Dell XPS 720 Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0ghz
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Patch 1.4.4 Windows 7 home
Playing through a Sanyo 50" tv
rmf304

Post by rmf304 »

Cajunwolf: I'm an *$#%§* and a cheapskate, I didn't buy the version with the book lmao. Just so I could save $5. So now, I've spent way more to get the DLC that came WITH the Gold edition, than $5. I can find the book online though so I'll check it out.

thunderhawk: That's mostly what I've been doing so far. But I want to do more, like creating custom truck skins and such. I'm picking up on 3D modeling a little and have a Dodge Cummings in the works, even though it's probably been done 1000 times by others already lol. I've made some very nice looking trucks, for what little I can do so far, if I do say so myself. http://imgur.com/a/jzfsD

The door panel image is just an adstrip from another mod, but the headache rack and the grille cover are all me. By and by, I like it, and I guess that's what counts. :D
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

rmf304, I'm not riding you, but yea, you didn't save anything did you?

Y'all need to show me the ins and outs of modding the vehicles, my focus has been on maps. I've done a vehicle or two in Battlefield 2, but limited. I mean I'll do it, I just need some folks to answer a few questions every now and then.
rmf304

Post by rmf304 »

I'm kinda new to it myself, and late in the game for FS15, but it's easier than it looks. One of the guys on a modding group I found on Facebook showed me a very simple way to lay out the lines and stuff I wanted using Blender and Sketchup. Just export from one to the other back and forth, and while in sketchup draw lines where you want the paint to be and then color it some off the wall color that youd never use, then export back till it's an i3d again, reopen the dds file and BAM that area will be the crazy colors you used and you can just fill the spaces in with the color you actually want.
Cajunwolf

Post by Cajunwolf »

Kewl, you got a link? We need a good tutorial. Like you I got in late on FS15, had the game log time, just no time, and got into mapping. Now I want to start doing some vehicle modding.