One step closer to a new PC ...

W1der

One step closer to a new PC ...

Post by W1der »

So ...

I have pretty much decided to go ahead and buy this computer.
But would be happy to get some feedback regarding the components ...
NZXT S340 Midi Tower

Corsair CX650M, 650W PSU
ATX 12V v2.4, 80 Plus Bronze, Semi Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 6x SATA

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Processor
Socket-LGA1151, Quad Core 4.0GHz, 8MB, 91W, 14nm, m/kylare, PC-PROD

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, Socket-1151
ATX,Z170,DDR4,3xPCIe-x16,SLI/CFX, SupremeFX, GameFirst III

Kingston ValueRam DDR4 2133MHz 16GB
2x8GB 2133MHz (PC4-17000) DDR4 CL15 1Rx8

Gainward GeForce GTX 1070
PCI-Express 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, DVI-D, HDMI, 3xDP, Pascal

240GB 2.5" SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
I am also trying to make a decision regarding a 27" screen ...
Would I need "G-sync" or not!?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Aayph

Re: One step closer to a new PC ...

Post by Aayph »

W1der wrote:I am also trying to make a decision regarding a 27" screen ...
Depending on the settings / games it will be visually more fluently.
With your hardware it would be an improvement of quality. But you do not necessarily require it.

Besides that there issn't anything "wrong" with the setting, would personally buy it like that.
Just for SSDs I would prefer a Samsung pro one. Good performance and life time, not sure what you choosed there.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Get Windows 10 Pro, you'll be much happier with it. ;)

You'll max settings on all Farming Simulator games for sure!

What's wrong with you Mac? I think you are making a great decision going to Windows, because they were built for gaming. *thumbsup*
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
W1der

Post by W1der »

Aayph wrote:
W1der wrote:I am also trying to make a decision regarding a 27" screen ...
Depending on the settings / games it will be visually more fluently.
With your hardware it would be an improvement of quality. But you do not necessarily require it.

Besides that there issn't anything "wrong" with the setting, would personally buy it like that.
Just for SSDs I would prefer a Samsung pro one. Good performance and life time, not sure what you choosed there.
The SSD is this one ...
HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD SATA 3.0, 7mm, SF-2281, 500/500MB/s

I can change it to a Samsung but that one is only with 128GB storage ... at an extra cost of around 60 USD.
(Samsung 850 PRO 128GB 2.5" SSD OEM, 3D V-NAND, 550/470MB/, 10 year warranty)
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
W1der

Post by W1der »

JohnDeere318 wrote:Get Windows 10 Pro, you'll be much happier with it. ;)

What's wrong with you Mac? I think you are making a great decision going to Windows, because they were built for gaming. *thumbsup*
My mac is not able to handle "modded maps" and other "heavy mods" very well, without struggling with frame drops.

What is the difference between home and pro regarding win 10?
I am only going to use this PC to play games on it ... (will be keeping my iMac for everything else) ... :smileynew:
Aayph

Post by Aayph »

W1der wrote:I can change it to a Samsung but that one is only with 128GB storage ... at an extra cost of around 60 USD.
Nah, you need 240GB+ if planned for System, if you go for 128GB you will suffer of too low space with Win10.
Just looked up the cost effectiveness is quite good for it. But at Benchmarks the SSD is more at the lower rather top end placed. Couldn't find anything about the life time, that is the main reason I use the Samsung ones.

But as said, personal preferences :)
W1der

Post by W1der »

Aayph wrote:
W1der wrote:I can change it to a Samsung but that one is only with 128GB storage ... at an extra cost of around 60 USD.
Nah, you need 240GB+ if planned for System, if you go for 128GB you will suffer of too low space with Win10.
Just looked up the cost effectiveness is quite good for it. But at Benchmarks the SSD is more at the lower rather top end placed. Couldn't find anything about the life time, that is the main reason I use the Samsung ones.

But as said, personal preferences :)
Well ...
There is also this* available as an option (instead of the "HyperX") at an extra cost of around 120 USD.
*Samsung 750 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 6GB/s, 540/520MB/s, V-NAND
Aayph

Post by Aayph »

W1der wrote:Well ...
There is also this* available as an option (instead of the "HyperX") at an extra cost of around 120 USD.
*Samsung 750 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 6GB/s, 540/520MB/s, V-NAND
Gets good benchmark scores, better than the HyperX. It's longliving, almost as the pro.
But never had one myself, but I would go rather for that one that the HyperX, especially if you put a bit more on the windows partition.

Maybe look for the Evo 850, in Germany it's almost same price with Evo 750 but it's performance is a bit higher (The 500GB version). I don't know other markets.
Gnasher3i6

Post by Gnasher3i6 »

W1der wrote: I am also trying to make a decision regarding a 27" screen ...
I have been using my pc on a 52" screen for ages, Looks perfectly fine with Vsync on/off.
I would say you don't need G-sync, If you have not used it before, It's not something you will miss.
UK - PS4/PC Player
W1der

Post by W1der »

Gnasher3i6 wrote:
W1der wrote: I am also trying to make a decision regarding a 27" screen ...
I have been using my pc on a 52" screen for ages, Looks perfectly fine with Vsync on/off.
I would say you don't need G-sync, If you have not used it before, It's not something you will miss.
Yea ... I could probably "live without it" ...
I take it that your 52" screen does not have G-sync?

It would be nice to get some feedback from someone who tried a screen with G-sync together with FS15 to know if it is worth the extra money ... :smileynew:

I think I read some where that FS15 only supports like 60Hz ... and that most screens today has 144Hz.
So even if I am getting a really good screen ... I might be limited by the games specs anyways!?
Would hawing "G-sync" do anything for FS15 (or FS17) at all ?
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Regarding Windows:
For regular end users there's no need for the pro version. There are only a few additional features in the pro version, like joining a domain, managing group policies and using bitlocker HDD encryption. As far as I know, you can also hold back updates on the pro version a little longer, which could be the most relevant feature for end users, but IMHO not worth the extra money.

Regarding SSD:
At my home computer I'm running Windows 10 pro and Ubuntu 16.04 in dualboot with a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio on a 128GB SSD. Currently Windows with a few apps like additional Browser and media player uses less than 30GB at the moment. Games go on my HDD anyway. So unless you're planning on installing a lot of big games on the SSD, you won't need such a big one. Only for the OS, even a 64GB would be enough.

Regarding G-Sync:
For FS you won't need it. If the FPS drop below 60 with THAT computer, you should definitely either clean up your mods folder, or start optimizing your mods.
If you also want to play other games like Fallout, Battlefield, Doom, whatever they're called, on highest settings, maybe, just maybe, you could benefit from G-Sync. If it's worth the extra money is up to you. Personally I'd go for a better GPU if I had that money, but just for FS it's overkill.
W1der

Post by W1der »

bassaddict wrote:Regarding Windows:
For regular end users there's no need for the pro version. There are only a few additional features in the pro version, like joining a domain, managing group policies and using bitlocker HDD encryption. As far as I know, you can also hold back updates on the pro version a little longer, which could be the most relevant feature for end users, but IMHO not worth the extra money.

Regarding SSD:
At my home computer I'm running Windows 10 pro and Ubuntu 16.04 in dualboot with a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio on a 128GB SSD. Currently Windows with a few apps like additional Browser and media player uses less than 30GB at the moment. Games go on my HDD anyway. So unless you're planning on installing a lot of big games on the SSD, you won't need such a big one. Only for the OS, even a 64GB would be enough.

Regarding G-Sync:
For FS you won't need it. If the FPS drop below 60 with THAT computer, you should definitely either clean up your mods folder, or start optimizing your mods.
If you also want to play other games like Fallout, Battlefield, Doom, whatever they're called, on highest settings, maybe, just maybe, you could benefit from G-Sync. If it's worth the extra money is up to you. Personally I'd go for a better GPU if I had that money, but just for FS it's overkill.

Awesome answer ...
Thank you very much sir!
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

W1der wrote:

My mac is not able to handle "modded maps" and other "heavy mods" very well, without struggling with frame drops.

I am only going to use this PC to play games on it ... (will be keeping my iMac for everything else) ... :smileynew:
Here is a sheet: http://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/doc ... e_FY17.pdf

The reason I like the Pro, is that you have more options and can do a lot more with Pro. If you don't think you want to spend the extra money, then Home is good for you. *thumbsup* My uncle put Windows 7 Pro on my computer, but then I upgraded for Free to Windows 10 Pro. Plus, if you are like me, you just like the name "Pro." :chinese:

How to post your log.txt
W1der

Post by W1der »

JohnDeere318 wrote:
W1der wrote:

The reason I like the Pro, is that you have more options and can do a lot more with Pro. If you don't think you want to spend the extra money, then Home is good for you. *thumbsup* My uncle put Windows 7 Pro on my computer, but then I upgraded for Free to Windows 10 Pro. Plus, if you are like me, you just like the name "Pro." :chinese:
Well ... as I mentioned.
I am keeping my mac for everything else but gaming ... :mrgreen:
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

W1der wrote:
JohnDeere318 wrote:
W1der wrote: My mac is not able to handle "modded maps" and other "heavy mods" very well, without struggling with frame drops.

Well ... as I mentioned.
I am keeping my mac for everything else but gaming ... :mrgreen:
:hi: Then yeah, if you want the cheaper route and still have great options, then the Home is great for you. *thumbsup*

How to post your log.txt