English Speekers

IanM

Re: English Speekers

Post by IanM »

modelleicher wrote:Here in germany depending on which part of germany you're in kids learn english either in first grade or latest in fourth grade as "Der_Tod" said.

yada yada yada....
greetings,
modelleicher

p.s. i never really know how to properly sign a forum post or pm in english.. Most english people don't seem to sign their posts at all.. And at school we only learned formal letter writing and stuff like that.
As you point out most do not.
If you wish to
Formal would/could be "regards, or "Kind Regards"
Informal (like on here?) "Cheers, thanks, or just good old "thanks for the tip/reply/idea/...." you get the idea.

It surprises me that there is a problem learning English in a school in the USA.... but what do I know..

I live in Denmark and Danish is also a bit of a bugger to learn. Who the hell hears Danish out side of Denmark.

Cheers.
Higgings

Post by Higgings »

Hov hov du :D
You are absolutely right. ;)
We who live in a small country, do suffer from the fact that our language area also will be small.
It forces us into learning a second language.
We are hardly 6mil in Denmark, so most of us can English, some German, Norwigen, Swedish ect. :)
pigpen

Post by pigpen »

I grew up in the USA but mother and Grandparents spoke German so I picked it up a young age. my Grandparents came from what is now Ukraine when they lived there it was Poland this was before World War 2 but they spoke German not Polish. I grew up in California so learning Spanish was easy. I now live in North Carolina so my German is getting rusty but I still use Spanish. If somebody wants to learn a new language I would suggest learning a Latin language it is simple to learn.
Alienware PC.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

I say German or any other Germanic language
Wendy9990

Post by Wendy9990 »

It seems to me that the main reason is not only the education system. It is also a human ability to learn other languages. Not many people are quite capable.
http://getessayeditor.com/blog/what-you ... in-english
W1der

Post by W1der »

Oh ... this was an old topic ... but an interesting one ... :)

My youngest daughter is only 6 and still in pre school ... but she already started learning english.
But it´s different now from when I grew up ... her interest for "english" is from watching Youtube and wanting to understand what all the clips is about.
Also all the apps/games on our iPad that is in english.

I did not have this "motivator" when I grew up ... back then I learnt most from watching movies.
It´s only when I was older and started chatting with people from all around the world on my xbox that my english improved ... and these days I also communicate with "China" on a daily basis at work (witch is a pain at times).

The "spell check" also works pretty good now a days ... and that helps a lot ... ;)
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Delta wrote:Being a fellow american myself I can say our school systems is a big joke.
FINALLY!!! Someone has said this! I am in school right now (high school) and I think the school is just a joke. It's stupid, and then we have to do all of the assembly's and it drives me crazy! I think, no lunch, no other activities, no PE, nothing. Have school from 9:00am to 1:00pm. DONE! :D
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
Yyrgn

Post by Yyrgn »

When i recall my time in school, which i left in summer 1982 at age of 19, it was not a joke :-) we started 8.00 and most days we ended 14.00, one day at 16.00 (it was an agreement to stay longer Monday to Friday for not going to school on Saturday)
in 5th grade we had to learn English (it was a must, not a choice), in 7th grade we could decide between French and Latin as a second language; as for my English teacher ( i didn't like this guy, but he was also the teacher for French) i decided for Latin - a good choice later on, we were able to speak this "dead" language like it was our mothertongue (and even after years i had no problems understanding the movie "Passion of Christi", which is in Latin and Hebrew with subtitles) - but English was a must and all things, where is a must, are not easy. I finished school with 9 years of English lessons and was not able to understand English people in pubs and bars, as in school we only learned to understand newspapers, official texts, got all the grammar rules and vocabulary, you need to read instruction books - but not, how to talk to common people in pubs. My English teacher waved me good-bye with these words: "do me a favor and stay in Germany, never work in foreign companies and tell nobody, i tried to teach you a language."
In this time the first home computers appeared on the markets and the good magazines were written in English, also most of the programs and games were only available in English. Additionally we wanted to understand, what the guys and girls in the music scene sang about (German music in this time was poor, besides some guys who only made instrumental. So i had to recall all the Englisch lessons again and add new vocabulary. Then my first job was in French company - English was the business language; second job was in an American company with subsidiaries in UK, France, Ireland and Japan - guess the language...
There i met a woman, chief of logistics, boss of 5.000 people and that's what Lynn said:"you know, we Americans are simple - it is enough if we know, what you want us to do and that you do, what we want you to do. we don't care about grammer and words, we care about the work. If you don't know the right word, take another or tell it the long way around." Then i went to a Turkish company and now i'm employed in a Slovakian company with Polish factories, Russian CEO and Turkish boss.
What me helped a lot to survive in these companies was watching movies and TV in origin (as most the translation is too bad - German guys will agree, if they ever saw a translated Monty Python movie) and starting conversation to English people (or in English language), mostly chat conversations are very helpful and i asked my chat partners to correct me, to help me finding the right words. And even after years Lynn was right: it's not the word, that matters, it's the sense behind.
And talking these foreign languages will help to get better and better - so if you want to learn a language, talk to the people, they will help you, don't be afraid, nobody will laugh about you for wrong grammar...
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Thanks
Yyrgn wrote:When i recall my time in school, which i left in summer 1982 at age of 19, it was not a joke :-) we started 8.00 and most days we ended 14.00, one day at 16.00 (it was an agreement to stay longer Monday to Friday for not going to school on Saturday)
in 5th grade we had to learn English (it was a must, not a choice), in 7th grade we could decide between French and Latin as a second language; as for my English teacher ( i didn't like this guy, but he was also the teacher for French) i decided for Latin - a good choice later on, we were able to speak this "dead" language like it was our mothertongue (and even after years i had no problems understanding the movie "Passion of Christi", which is in Latin and Hebrew with subtitles) - but English was a must and all things, where is a must, are not easy. I finished school with 9 years of English lessons and was not able to understand English people in pubs and bars, as in school we only learned to understand newspapers, official texts, got all the grammar rules and vocabulary, you need to read instruction books - but not, how to talk to common people in pubs. My English teacher waved me good-bye with these words: "do me a favor and stay in Germany, never work in foreign companies and tell nobody, i tried to teach you a language."
In this time the first home computers appeared on the markets and the good magazines were written in English, also most of the programs and games were only available in English. Additionally we wanted to understand, what the guys and girls in the music scene sang about (German music in this time was poor, besides some guys who only made instrumental. So i had to recall all the Englisch lessons again and add new vocabulary. Then my first job was in French company - English was the business language; second job was in an American company with subsidiaries in UK, France, Ireland and Japan - guess the language...
There i met a woman, chief of logistics, boss of 5.000 people and that's what Lynn said:"you know, we Americans are simple - it is enough if we know, what you want us to do and that you do, what we want you to do. we don't care about grammer and words, we care about the work. If you don't know the right word, take another or tell it the long way around." Then i went to a Turkish company and now i'm employed in a Slovakian company with Polish factories, Russian CEO and Turkish boss.
What me helped a lot to survive in these companies was watching movies and TV in origin (as most the translation is too bad - German guys will agree, if they ever saw a translated Monty Python movie) and starting conversation to English people (or in English language), mostly chat conversations are very helpful and i asked my chat partners to correct me, to help me finding the right words. And even after years Lynn was right: it's not the word, that matters, it's the sense behind.
And talking these foreign languages will help to get better and better - so if you want to learn a language, talk to the people, they will help you, don't be afraid, nobody will laugh about you for wrong grammar...
Thanks for saying all of this!! In my school in America, we can choose to learn Spanish (hate the teacher though) and that's it. I wish there was a German class to learn. Any of you guys know German?
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt