Graphicz Cardz Question

bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: Graphicz Cardz Question

Post by bassaddict »

If you want a computer mainly for FS, then you should go for an Intel/Nvidia combination.

Intel offers a better IPC than AMD, which results in a higher single core performance (roughly 25% according to http://cpubenchmark.net/ ). That's important for any application that's not highly parallelizable, like FS (and in general most daily computer tasks).

On the GPU part, AMD don't have very good OpenGL drivers. That results in less framerates and puts more load on the CPU. Seeing that FS is more CPU heavy than GPU heavy, that's not what I would call desirable.
Even though in regular benchmarks the Radeon R9 380 and the Geforce GTX960 are at about the same level, in FS the latter offers roughly twice the performance according to the FS benchmarks I've seen ( check out e.g. this one http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic= ... msg1201959 ).

And AMD CPUs and GPUs have a higher TDP and have a little higher power consumption than Intel and Nvidia in average. If you have to pay the power bills yourself, this could also be a factor.
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

It is true that the game is largely better catered for my intel and Nvidia rigs, but it isn't that difficult a game to run. For sheer performance per $, AMD are the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I like Intel a lot, and I have an Nvidia/Intel rig right now, but they aren't cheap.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

mayoollie wrote:It is true that the game is largely better catered for my intel and Nvidia rigs, but it isn't that difficult a game to run. For sheer performance per $, AMD are the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I like Intel a lot, and I have an Nvidia/Intel rig right now, but they aren't cheap.
Definitely. And giants really should be focusing on multi core CPUs. Hell, even unity is updating to run better on multi-core. I suppose this explains the god awful performance on console.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

mayoollie wrote:It is true that the game is largely better catered for my intel and Nvidia rigs, but it isn't that difficult a game to run. For sheer performance per $, AMD are the way to go.

Agreed, that's why I don't want to go to the Intel/NVidia route, because of the of the cha-ching $. I think AMD and Nvidia are a great combo, I have the AMD Phenom II x4 with the 750 Ti and it works perfectly. But I want to upgrade CPU as well to get better performance as well. I really like the Eight Core, which I will definitely get.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

Meowmixer75 wrote:

Agreed, that's why I don't want to go to the Intel/NVidia route, because of the of the cha-ching $. I think AMD and Nvidia are a great combo, I have the AMD Phenom II x4 with the 750 Ti and it works perfectly. But I want to upgrade CPU as well to get better performance as well. I really like the Eight Core, which I will definitely get.
The FX series 8 cores CPUs are good, but I would really recommend you buy a reasonable motherboard first; it's the backbone of your rig, and you will need an up to date one that supports the latest sockets, chipsets, RAM and SATA ports really- it's the backbone of the rig. You haven't got to go mad and buy a high end branded mobo like Asus ROG, but definitely you want a reasonably up to date mobo that will let you upgrade CPU/GPU as time advances.
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

What kind of motherboard do you recommend that is around the $100 - $150 range?
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

Meowmixer75 wrote:What kind of motherboard do you recommend that is around the $100 - $150 range?
Anything Asus or MSI. In fact, near on $200 will net you this:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Crosshair-Fo ... otherboard

Which is nearly the most boss AMD motherboard you can buy. It won't support the next range of processors or DDR4 RAM but it will support an athlon, phenom or FX edition processor and let you have a massive overclock if you can provide cooling.

The MSI Krait editions are also worth a look.

Or you can choose to go intel, but then they are more pricey and the CPUs cost more.

If you go on the ASUS or MSI websites, you can download the mobo manual from their website and check their qualified vendor lists, which show which models of RAM and CPU they support, so you will know what will and won't fit on it.