Saitek controller a complete letdown..

LandroverKeith

Saitek controller a complete letdown..

Post by LandroverKeith »

Wow my saitek steering wheel has just yet again packed up, this is replacement no.4

Surely i must be just unlucky or are they truly just cheap shoddy made stuff? The panel is excellent but the wheel omfg cheap xmas cracker gift kind of quality.

I really am wishing I'd not bothered now.

Dealing with their customer support is a bit hit n miss to and again not something i relish.
W1der

Re: Saitek controller a complete letdown..

Post by W1der »

I am on my third wheel / never had any problems with the panel but some of the buttons on the latest one I got feels a bit "mushy" if I don not press them "dead on" ... Not a big problem as they still work.

My Issue ...
It seems to be a wire located under the "horn button" that comes loose.
This wire has not been correctly secured and gets a strain every time you turn your wheel to the maximum.
As soon as the wire looses the signal the wheel drops dead and I have to reboot my game and reconnect the USB for the wheel to get it started again.
The problem usually starts after about 150-200 hours of usage and is intermittent at the beginning but gets worse after a while.

Saitek must be aware of this problem by now ... (at least after I sent them a link to a you tube video of a guy repairing it himself).
The problem will most probably be solved in future batches as it is an "easy fix".

So far ... My retailer has sent me a new setup within a week after I claim my warranty ... so no complaints.
Also, Saitek support has been swift with their answers every time I reached out for them!
They also notified me that they offer a 2 year warranty for the product.
When I am no longer under warranty I know how to repair it myself ... and how to solve the issue so that it most likely wont happen again.
Hopefully by then I have gotten a replacement from a newer batch without this problem ... :mrgreen:

I would not want to play this game without the wheel and side panel ... :this:
For me I do not have any complaints about this controller besides that it is a bit to sensitive when it comes to "placeable objects" but this is from the software causing to much input from the sticks on the wheel (having the same problem with the mouse actually).
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

It looks like there is a general issue with the wheels due to some last minute patching of the hardware done by Saitek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplMxjZpECs
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
W1der

Post by W1der »

don_apple wrote:It looks like there is a general issue with the wheels due to some last minute patching of the hardware done by Saitek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplMxjZpECs
Yes ...

And if this "random guy" can fix it ... so can Saitek for future batches ... :)

I have found another issue with the joystick on the side panel, as it is gradually getting "slower" on the "down axis" (not "up" though even that it is the "same axis").
This is fixed by reconnecting the USB ... so not a big problem, however a bit annoying!

Might only be for the OS X though ... and might not be due to Saitek ... it might be a bug within the game or even the OS X (I am on El Capitan now) ...
This is my third panel and I recall having "slow front loaders" with the others also ... just did not figured this out until now as it got REALLY SLOW at one time.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
LandroverKeith

Post by LandroverKeith »

Funny u say that about the side panel to I do also feel the joystick is getting a bit slower when moving around but in general I do love the panel and as u say playing with the wheel and panel is no fun now lol I used to be a xbox pad kinda guy lol

Their courier was supposed to turn up yesterday to replace the unit under my warranty but failed to show up.

I sent them another email as it Friday everyone has packed up for the weekend so wasn't expecting much, but however the courier driver has sent me a text this morning with an eta.

the thing that worries no no annoys the living hell out of me the most. they are saying the warranty is only valid for the initial unit I bought way back on its release day! so all these other units ive had that are brand new and sealed are the telling me they have no confidence in those working 100% ?

this time around they have asked me to only send back the wheel and pedals not the side unit so I'm assuming they are just sending the wheel and pedals back.

after this pi** poor performance I would not recommend them to anyone!

I've been a life time pc gamer and never ever have I bought a joystick or peripheral with a life expectancy of 2 months the longest period the first unit lasted 4 hours fresh from the box b4 the pedals just did anything they liked.

if I thought it would do any good I would email giants about them advertising the shoddy stuff on their forum page as a summer offer. HA!

if this unit fails I will be sending it back and asking for a full refund I think 4 returns in less than a year has give them enough rope
W1der

Post by W1der »

LandroverKeith wrote:Funny u say that about the side panel to I do also feel the joystick is getting a bit slower when moving around but in general I do love the panel and as u say playing with the wheel and panel is no fun now lol I used to be a xbox pad kinda guy lol

Their courier was supposed to turn up yesterday to replace the unit under my warranty but failed to show up.

I sent them another email as it Friday everyone has packed up for the weekend so wasn't expecting much, but however the courier driver has sent me a text this morning with an eta.

the thing that worries no no annoys the living hell out of me the most. they are saying the warranty is only valid for the initial unit I bought way back on its release day! so all these other units ive had that are brand new and sealed are the telling me they have no confidence in those working 100% ?

this time around they have asked me to only send back the wheel and pedals not the side unit so I'm assuming they are just sending the wheel and pedals back.

after this pi** poor performance I would not recommend them to anyone!

I've been a life time pc gamer and never ever have I bought a joystick or peripheral with a life expectancy of 2 months the longest period the first unit lasted 4 hours fresh from the box b4 the pedals just did anything they liked.

if I thought it would do any good I would email giants about them advertising the shoddy stuff on their forum page as a summer offer. HA!

if this unit fails I will be sending it back and asking for a full refund I think 4 returns in less than a year has give them enough rope
I am thinking like this ...
As Saitek by now would be aware of the problem ... they will fix this for future productions of the controller.
I will keep having mine exchanged until I get a wheel from a newer batch, without this problem ... or I will fix that green wire that comes loose myself when my warranty is out.
Playing this game without this controller is not an option for me!

I have no complaints on how my retailer has been handling my warranty claims so far.
Reporting the error, getting free shipment documents, sending it back and getting a fresh one is within a week ... that is "solid" customer care right there!