Saitek Heavy Equipment Precision Control System ... addicted!

W1der

Saitek Heavy Equipment Precision Control System ... addicted!

Post by W1der »

So ...
It´s been over a month now, since I sent my Wheel and side panel away, for warranty exchange ...
My retailer is out of stock and they are "expecting a delivery in the beginning of October".
This is a bit frustrating as I just got myself a new PC, to be able to play this game without the frame drops that I had on my "old" iMac.
But at the same time I am "happy" about this ... as the next wheel I´m getting will most probably be from another batch ... and hopefully the problem I had with my previous wheels, will be solved.
We will know after about 150 hours of gaming ... :smileynew:

I have tried to play the game with my Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick ... and I also tried playing it with a xbox controller.
Both of these type of controllers has been used by me to play this game previously ... but after getting used to the Saitek controller ... :confusednew:

I must say that I prefer using the game pad over the joystick as a "stand alone" controller ...
I have still to try them in combination.
But none of them comes close to the precision I was getting out of the Saitek controller ...
Especially when it comes to vehicles that has the steering in the center of the chassi ... for this you will need a wheel!

I have played with the idea of getting a double joystick setup ...
But to be honest, I have fallen in love with the small joysticks on the Saitek wheel and the joystick on the side panel ...
Mostly because they are small and very precise ... this makes it possible to control cranes and front loaders with very little input (less movement) ...
Basically I am able to use only my finger tips instead of having to move my entire arm as I would have to if I was using a big joystick.
And the "functionality switch" on the joystick on the side panel is quite genius"!

Even though I had a lot of problems with the Saitek controller ... I can not stop to like it!

How ever ... If the new wheel has the same problems as my old ones had ... I will have to start looking for alternatives.
I have an idea of building my own side panel (using a cheap keyboard and game pad for the "USB interface") ... get another wheel with better quality ... and/or possibly use it in combination with this controller setup (witch I am planning to buy anyways, to use with my flight simulator games)...
http://www.maxgaming.se/joystick/thrust ... -fcs-hotas

Does any one here have experience of building a custom made controller, that they are willing to share? ... :this:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
W1der

Re: Saitek Heavy Equipment Precision Control System ... addicted!

Post by W1der »

Update ...

After playing a few more hours with the xbox one controller, and getting the controls sorted out ...
I must say I am really starting to like it!

I find it very sensitive though, and it takes a lot of practise to get good precision out of it ...
But it is absolutely playable (even compared to the Saitek controller) and I am actually getting the precision I need, to make the game enjoyable!

I never got the xbox controller to work with my iMac, so I was never able to try it out until now.
Actually it works so good, that I am starting to have second thoughts about the Saitek controller ... there are even some aspects of it, that makes me like the gamepad better than the steering wheel and side panel ... :blushnew:

The Saitek wheel is absolutely better than a gamepad, when using a front loader and for "forestry" (regarding controls for the Buffalo and Scorpion King).
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

W1der wrote:Update ...

After playing a few more hours with the xbox one controller, and getting the controls sorted out ...

I find it very sensitive though, and it takes a lot of practise to get good precision out of it ...
But it is absolutely playable (even compared to the Saitek controller) and I am actually getting the precision I need, to make the game enjoyable!

I never got the xbox controller to work with my iMac, so I was never able to try it out until now.
Actually it works so good, that I am starting to have second thoughts about the Saitek controller ... there are even some aspects of it, that makes me like the gamepad better than the steering wheel and side panel ... :blushnew:

The Saitek wheel is absolutely better than a gamepad, when using a front loader and for "forestry" (regarding controls for the Buffalo and Scorpion King).
Yeah All I ever used Is a xbox 360 Controller In fs worn one controller out and had to replace it with a new one I love the controller I just wish there was enough key binding for it to use left stick and right as Controls are set in excavators, scorpion king iv run a excavator for 6 year now and having the same same control set up as the real equipment is great I can do that in construction simulator and having same controls is everything to the realism of the game
Dell XPS 720 Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.0ghz
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Patch 1.4.4 Windows 7 home
Playing through a Sanyo 50" tv
W1der

Post by W1der »

thunderhawk wrote:
W1der wrote:Update ...

Yeah All I ever used Is a xbox 360 Controller In fs worn one controller out and had to replace it with a new one I love the controller I just wish there was enough key binding for it to use left stick and right as Controls are set in excavators, scorpion king iv run a excavator for 6 year now and having the same same control set up as the real equipment is great I can do that in construction simulator and having same controls is everything to the realism of the game
Yea ... I have been thinking about that ...

How would the controls be set up for a real Scorpion King or a Buffalo ?
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

Two sticks Close to the functions of a Excavator Check out this guy's set up I want it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eApXwfnDj58#t=277
Liquid cooled with a 120mm x 240mm radiator twin 120mm cooler master SickleFlow fans
Nvidia GTX 660ti
W1der

Post by W1der »

thunderhawk wrote:Two sticks Close to the functions of a Excavator Check out this guy's set up I want it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eApXwfnDj58#t=277
Yes I have seen that ... and I want it soo bad ...
How ever ... that clips says nothing regarding how the key binding is setup ...

Is he using the pedals for "gas", or does ha have a mod that allows him to use some kind of "hand gas" ?
thunderhawk

Post by thunderhawk »

I don't know There Is so many keys to bind On that setup I think you could bind just about any configuration you want with it. My set up I want before fs19 is about 1k of expenses to do add two more nividia 660ti linked sli add two more sanyo 50" TV's add control setup similar to that Man I would be in heaven with that LOL
Nvidia GTX 660ti
W1der

Post by W1der »

thunderhawk wrote:I don't know There Is so many keys to bind On that setup I think you could bind just about any configuration you want with it. My set up I want before fs19 is about 1k of expenses to do add two more nividia 660ti linked sli add two more sanyo 50" TV's add control setup similar to that Man I would be in heaven with that LOL
Wow ... OK ... you are an even bigger controller freak than me then ... :blushnew:

I just added a list of my key bindings here ... viewtopic.php?f=834&t=95844&p=738007#p738007