A few beginner questions

Skovbo

A few beginner questions

Post by Skovbo »

Hey all fellow farmers.

I have some beginner questions, and there will no doubt be more.

1: I saw that you can buy a machine to wash your tractors, machines etc.
But does it have any effect or is it only I you wish to have some clean machines?

2: If you buy this cleaning machine, can't remember the name, how do you get it from the shop to your farm?

3: does it have any effect to mow around your fields?

I hope that some one can help me with my questions.

-Skovbo
Farmer2B

Re: A few beginner questions

Post by Farmer2B »

Skovbo wrote:Hey all fellow farmers.

I have some beginner questions, and there will no doubt be more.

1: I saw that you can buy a machine to wash your tractors, machines etc.
But does it have any effect or is it only I you wish to have some clean machines?

2: If you buy this cleaning machine, can't remember the name, how do you get it from the shop to your farm?

3: does it have any effect to mow around your fields?

I hope that some one can help me with my questions.

-Skovbo
:hi: The machine is called a pressure washer, it is just for you to clean your machines if you prefer clean machines, you don't have to use it and you will have dirty machinery if you don't use it.
To get the machine from the store you need to push the P key to bring up the store menu, using the arrow keys will takeyou to the available options you have, the pressure washer is found in the placeable category. To buy it, double click on it and it will take you to a screen that will allow you to place the equipment where you would like it to be.
Mowing around your fields just keep them clean looking, but you may want the grass for sheep/cattle feeding or silage.
Look at the video tutorials post from Inzainia, located close to the top of the general questions section for some helpful insight into the game and I hope this helps. Enjoy.

*EDITED* I forgot to mention that you can also sell the grass for cash, an easy way to make extra money when starting.
Last edited by Farmer2B on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

1) .. for now, let's say it's for clean machines ... but, I believe, there was a line-item in the bug-list that said something, like: "Case Magnum 380: Is slower than other dirty tractor" (early in the red list)

2) .. the power-washer is a "place-able" item .. like a greenhouse\wind-turbine\etc .. and as such, an interface shows up (a bit twitchy) that zooms in on your farm, with the item (rotatable) attached to your pointer for placement .. scroll around\zoom in, and find where you want to place it ... it's perma-there .. so choose wisely

... "man who considers all outcomes before taking a step, forever balance on one foot"
~Confucius

3) .. grass is actually a very active, money-making crop .. I am mowing while I wait for my fields to germinate. But we can not speak of silage till you know the secret handshake

Next! :gamer:

a word of advice for a new player: .. SAVE the damn game before you enter the shop (P) .. always .. the life ($50,000) you save, may be your own ... currently, you can buy via a double click .. and it is very easy to accidentally buy something you were just trying to read the data-card for .. oh, the store will happily buy the item back .. for 50% of what you paid just two seconds earlier
It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon; which raises
the fear that it may not be long before we're paying somebody not to.
- Franklin P. Jones
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

Thank you very much for your replying and advices. :)
They will all come in handy. :)
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

Another question just came up.

You can in the statistics menu press a button that says "Reset vehicle/tool". What does it do?
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

if you get stuck\flipped-over ... you can reset your equipment back to your farm's main courtyard

remember that your tractor may have multiple attachments .. each one must be reset or they will remain behind

for example: .. I got my tractor\front-mower\back weight\loader-wagon stuck compacting silage .. I reset the tractor -{-POOF!-}- and all the other stuff was sitting there in the pile
- Franklin P. Jones
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

Good to know. :)

Thank you for replying. :)
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

I was wondering, does it have any effect to use fertilizer more than one time on your field?
Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker »

Nope, all fertilizers (liquid, powder, manure or slurry) are the same and you only need to fertilize once before each harvest to double your yield.
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

Thank very much for your answer. :)
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

you can get 'slurry' for free at the BioGas plant once you have your silage operation in full swing .. and at the cow field (though I've never achieved a cow operation yet) ... those big black circular tanks are for slurry ... you'll need a slurry spreader

personally I like the chemical sprayers better. Wider area covered per pass .. and the only time the cost of fertilizer is important is the very beginning when money is tighter ... and your hired help aren't using liquid from the tank....they get it, streaming, from Netflix, or something (added to their hourly wage)

would be cool if they implemented an 'organic crop' aspect to the game, requiring a separate silo ... but I'll not hold my breath

:search: pro tip: .. if you have your camera zoomed out\3rd-person as you drive by these tanks, you can check their fill level .. assuming it changes dynamically
- Franklin P. Jones
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

Keifer wrote:you can get 'slurry' for free at the BioGas plant once you have your silage operation in full swing .. and at the cow field (though I've never achieved a cow operation yet) ... those big black circular tanks are for slurry ... you'll need a slurry spreader

personally I like the chemical sprayers better. Wider area covered per pass .. and the only time the cost of fertilizer is important is the very beginning when money is tighter ... and your hired help aren't using liquid from the tank....they get it, streaming, from Netflix, or something (added to their hourly wage)

would be cool if they implemented an 'organic crop' aspect to the game, requiring a separate silo ... but I'll not hold my breath

:search: pro tip: .. if you have your camera zoomed out\3rd-person as you drive by these tanks, you can check their fill level .. assuming it changes dynamically
It is not a little odd, that they didn't made it so that the various crops needed different kind of slurry, fertilizer etc. so you could make more profit out of the different crops. Or am i totally wrong from the real world?

I can read in some other treads, that it is not necessary to use the plow before using the other tools. But why is that? Is it not necessary irl? It's taking some of the realism from the IMO, if i'm correct.

Sorry for my English grammar.

-Skovbo
BluetoothThePirate

Post by BluetoothThePirate »

That's the difference between a plow and a cultivator. A plow is very aggressive, it digs the soil up and turns it over and is used to turn compacted soil into tillable soil. It does a lot of work, which is why plows are narrow and slow and require a lot of horsepower to make work. A cultivator is like a shallow plow, it just gently stirs up the top layers of soil, just to soften it up for planting, and because it does less work on the dirt it can be wider and run faster with a less powerful tractor pulling it. In real life a cultivated field might need to be re-plowed before planting for a lot of different reasons, but in the game plows are only useful for deleting turf grass and trails. There's never a game reason to re-plow a brown field, a cultivator can easily delete withered crop and stubble without help, you only need a plow when you want to destroy grass.
Skovbo

Post by Skovbo »

BluetoothThePirate wrote:That's the difference between a plow and a cultivator. A plow is very aggressive, it digs the soil up and turns it over and is used to turn compacted soil into tillable soil. It does a lot of work, which is why plows are narrow and slow and require a lot of horsepower to make work. A cultivator is like a shallow plow, it just gently stirs up the top layers of soil, just to soften it up for planting, and because it does less work on the dirt it can be wider and run faster with a less powerful tractor pulling it. In real life a cultivated field might need to be re-plowed before planting for a lot of different reasons, but in the game plows are only useful for deleting turf grass and trails. There's never a game reason to re-plow a brown field, a cultivator can easily delete withered crop and stubble without help, you only need a plow when you want to destroy grass.
Thank you very much for explaining it to me. :)

Another question came up. Can you make a field in to 2 by sowing grass in the middle of it and still use help to cultivate, sowing and harvesting?
Nitemist

Post by Nitemist »

OOPS!
I BADLY misread that post...
shows what happens when you're up too late at night!
:blushnew: :confusednew: :hmm:

Skovbo wrote:
Thank you very much for explaining it to me. :)

Another question came up. Can you make a field in to 2 by sowing grass in the middle of it and still use help to cultivate, sowing and harvesting?
DON'T sow grass between the fields!
THAT will be there (semi-)permanently.
Use the plow, select "Create Field" (or words to that effect), and plow from the corner of one field, in as straight a line as possible (the GPS mod is your friend here)
to the other field's corner... repeat this at the other corner - and then fill in the rest with the plow...
once done, you can run the cultivator, and then fertilize/seed as you would any other field...

Hope this helps...
if you need clarification, drop me a pm....
Last edited by Nitemist on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Jugulum!