Rocks! Can we get rid of them?

Kyuss33

Rocks! Can we get rid of them?

Post by Kyuss33 »

I have been loving this game and have learned that the modding community can do anything.However with that said I haven't found anything to get rid of rocks on the farm.You might ask why would you want to get rid of rocks.Well on the map Bjornholm with the starting fields you get there is huge rocks on the edges that, well get in the way of AI hired workers from doing their jobs efficiently.I was hoping for a mod or future dlc that would allow us to grind the rocks into gravel and possibly use that to make the dirt roads upgraded.I understand that rocks have nothing to do with the farming growing concept but a farm embodies everything on it,in it, and around it and I feel that it would be cool to have this feature.I'm sure there could be some mod makers making some gravel yards to sell the ground rock or make it a expense and pay to have it removed it doesn't matter to me.I just want to be able to set my hired worker on and have him actually be able to finish the whole field without bumping into anything.

So my questions to the community would be
Have there been or plans to add this feature to the game from Giants?
Have there been a mod that allows the removal of the rocks?
masseyharris

Re: Rocks! Can we get rid of them?

Post by masseyharris »

There are ways to remove the rocks using the editor. But I had the same problem and learnt from the helpful people on the forum that there is another way - plough across the end of the field yourself, so there is more room for the hired worker to turn round - he will only plough up to where you have already done, so her will turn before hitting the rocks. If you take a few minutes to do each end, you can leave the worker to finish the field without trouble. it's called ploughing a headland.
Kyuss33

Post by Kyuss33 »

Hmmm,so your saying extend the field? That would cause more problems but thinking the other way around by making the field shorter would work.I would assume planting grass would reduce the field the hired worker would farm.Thanks for that advice,never thought of that and this would solve the hired worker from stopping.
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

Kyuss33 wrote:Hmmm,so your saying extend the field?

it is possible the word "plow" was used when he meant another .. If YOU work one or two passes yourself, then you have shortened the field that your hired-hands have to work, and give them the room to turn .. this is called creating a headland

you can also sow grass in these trouble areas to shorten your field (perhaps extend the other end to compensate for crop loss) .. BEWARE: planting grass erases the field edges and you will have to re-plow to 'carve' them back in, should you desire them back

re: rocks ... next it will be trees and then buildings and squeaky windmills .. the developers know about these hazards and placed them purposely to create a challenge .. we all have gripes about such design decisions, don't misunderstand me
It's the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon; which raises
the fear that it may not be long before we're paying somebody not to.
- Franklin P. Jones
BlackThumb

Post by BlackThumb »

Nuh uh, sorry, can't have any challenges, makes the game too hard and would then involve having to think how to overcome said 'obstacle'. That's just too difficult, we want tractors on rails and everything made ultra easy.

Cheers :hi:
Aging disgracefully and taking nothing with me!!!!
Kyuss33

Post by Kyuss33 »

Wow,really.I never said anything about it being to challenging.If you read my post it actually starts off by adding mechanics to the game,like rock grinding to make your roads,trails to look better.Suggestions turn to ideas and ideas become projects that make the game better.It's not like I posted a post on the horrible wood chipper mechanics because a modder has already fixed it. Wait! not to be easier but actually work right.So anyway please don't reply to a post unless you actually have helpful information on the idea at hand.Oh by the way Keifer, Shadowrun is a awesome game,not sure if I would of picked that avatar.
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

(*sigh*)
- Franklin P. Jones
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

if we get rid of the problems in the game, it would become dull. from Nebraska, I love trees. dad and I had arguments over taking out shelterbelts to get more farm land. I saw it as habitat for birds and squirrels and such, God given creatures to entertain us. dad didn't like it anyway so I left farming to my brothers, eight of them. so the challenge for me is figuring out how to farm without interfering with the environment. in real life, I'm 71 and I still spade and hoe and do my garden, grapes, hops and vegetables without using combustible engines as much as I can. oh well, back to the game. chas
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

Kyuss33 wrote:Hmmm,so your saying extend the field? That would cause more problems but thinking the other way around by making the field shorter would work.I would assume planting grass would reduce the field the hired worker would farm.Thanks for that advice,never thought of that and this would solve the hired worker from stopping.
No, sorry if I didn't explain it very well, I did mean shorten the field, not extend it, as explained by Keifer. This will give your workers space to turn, and keep the farming realistic at the same time (and allow the rocks to remain) .
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

I don't mind challenges, but I actually agree with Kyuss. If there was one thing that has always annoyed me in open world games, it has invariably been the insurmountable object. Rocks are probably out of the question, too much effort to mod the engine, but buildings should be fair game. If I want to spend a couple of million to buy and then demolish a neighbour's house because I can't turn with my aircraft carrier of a sower - hey, it's my money.
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

mackintosh wrote: ... buildings should be fair game.
I would agree with that point before I ever saw the need for a gravel quarry .. It would almost be a blend of the editor with the game
- Franklin P. Jones