More realism in the next game please. Some suggestions...

nickh1278

More realism in the next game please. Some suggestions...

Post by nickh1278 »

So firstly I love FS15 and think that when used with a few key mods like drive control, auto combine, follow me and course play really allows you to operate a farm in a fairly similar way to real life with multiple jobs being done at once and the like. My only slight gripe though is how static things like crop yield and weather conditions are as well as the lack of required maintenance/repairs for your farm vehicles so here's a few things I'd like to see in the next installment of FS

1 Variable crop yields - Yields should be dependent upon a number of factors including how much sun and rain they've had and how well maintained the field has been (see 2).

2 Field maintenance - Each field should have a mineral balance level which will impact the types of crop which will grow well there as well as impacting the yields that you get from a harvest. This balance should then fluctuate depending on the types of fertilizer you use and how often you actually plough the land, rotate the crops and even leave a field fallow for a period.

3 Grain driers - Harvested grains should have a moisture content level which impacts the amount you get for selling it. Sale prices should be done in levels such as 5-7.5% = x/ton, 7.5-10% y/ton and so on. The moisture levels should also be dependent upon when you harvested (night-time is of course more damp) and how the weather has affected your crops. This then means you can choose to pay for your grain to go through a drying cycle to try to get a better price once sold.

4 Vehicle maintenance - Farm vehicles are notorious for breaking down just when you need them most and rely heavily on regular maintenance. I'd like to see some type of randomised breakdown mechanism placed on each vehicle based on how well maintained they are. You could then include a vehicle repair aspect where you need to call out an engineer to fix the problem. This would of course have a cost attached and the farm should be able to choose to either have an ongoing maintenance plan with the dealer or pay a higher price for adhoc repairs when needed.

5 Contracts - This is a big missing element for me. These days farms are contracting out so much of their work and I feel there are a few things which could be included really easily such as:
a) Taking a contract to work (plough, cultivate, sow, spray or harvest) a field that you don't own. These should be time limited.
b) Taking a contract to supply a certain amount of goods by a specific time. This could be a specific crop or even better, for bales of hay, straw or silage. Bales are currently so under utilised in my opinion and believe this could be an element of its own (see 6). If supplying grain, as suggested in point 3 above, moisture levels should able to a factor for success.
c) Contracts should be offered based on your reputation. If you continually fail to deliver on your agreements, people will stop offering you work but if you keep making good on your contracts, you'll be offered bigger and better contracts.
d) Contract benefits should not just be for money but could also mean you get an extra field or piece of equipment for free.

6 Selling of bales - Currently selling bales is a matter of simply dropping them off at a sale point whenever you want however it would be better to have these sold on a contract basis to customers on an upfront agreement basis with penalties for under delivering. For example, you take a contract to supply 100 bales of wheat straw but your harvest only yields 90 bales. This would then mean you'd pay a penalty and it would lower your reputation meaning you might not be able to get the next big contract. The way to complete these contracts should also be different too. Instead of just dropping off bales somewhere, I'd like to see a lorry turn up at your farm (or the field where the bales are kept) that then needs to be loaded. Again, this should all be under time constraints meaning it puts pressure on you getting all your jobs done quickly and efficiently if you're to succeed.

Lastly I'd like to say that things like my crop yield suggestion could be tailored into the difficulty selection meaning that only by selecting either "Hard" or maybe even "As real as it gets!" will actually enable things like these. That way people who just want to play the game and not be too bothered by the extra complexities can do so.

Any feedback or suggestions on how to improve these ideas would also be great :)
Hawke67

Re: More realism in the next game please. Some suggestions...

Post by Hawke67 »

Good suggestions. I agree 100%.
nickh1278

Post by nickh1278 »

Thanks Hawke67 :)
Steve the farmer

Post by Steve the farmer »

Yes...great suggestions! Furthermore, the yields should fluctuate depending on actual weather and growth method. As in real life make the yields change depending on if you worked the field (plowing/ cultivating) compared to just drilling it. The soil mod is cool but watering the field with a sprayer is flat out stupid. Let alone applying fertilizer with it. A sprayer is for herbicides and fungicides. A dry spreader is for fertilizer! Water is applied via pivot or traveler! They should also make the chickens more realistic. Buying them amd just picking up eggs is demeaning to my prowess of actual farm management! Have breeder, broilers, layers, actual chicken houses that you have to maintain with feed, water, and clearing the house of litter which in turn produces manure to spread! More crops, more crops, and more crops. Cotton and peanuts specifically! Tobacco, grain sorghum, rice, vegetable produce, orchard crops, soybeans, legumes. As stated have a rotation when done correctly increases yields and hurts your yield when you don't. Have weeds, pests, damage, actual factors that affect crop price. Impliment actual field conditions...mud, to dry, to wet, changing seasons. Make the weather actually change... spring, summer, fall, winter. Have warm and cold weather growing periods!
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

Animals that can die.... So the populations will be less. So then also the production would be less..
There need something there so we can give the animals water, otherwise they will die
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
dairy stu

Post by dairy stu »

nickh1278 wrote:So firstly I love FS15 and think that when used with a few key mods like drive control, auto combine, follow me and course play really allows you to operate a farm in a fairly similar way to real life with multiple jobs being done at once and the like. My only slight gripe though is how static things like crop yield and weather conditions are as well as the lack of required maintenance/repairs for your farm vehicles so here's a few things I'd like to see in the next installment of FS

1 Variable crop yields - Yields should be dependent upon a number of factors including how much sun and rain they've had and how well maintained the field has been (see 2).

2 Field maintenance - Each field should have a mineral balance level which will impact the types of crop which will grow well there as well as impacting the yields that you get from a harvest. This balance should then fluctuate depending on the types of fertilizer you use and how often you actually plough the land, rotate the crops and even leave a field fallow for a period.

3 Grain driers - Harvested grains should have a moisture content level which impacts the amount you get for selling it. Sale prices should be done in levels such as 5-7.5% = x/ton, 7.5-10% y/ton and so on. The moisture levels should also be dependent upon when you harvested (night-time is of course more damp) and how the weather has affected your crops. This then means you can choose to pay for your grain to go through a drying cycle to try to get a better price once sold.

4 Vehicle maintenance - Farm vehicles are notorious for breaking down just when you need them most and rely heavily on regular maintenance. I'd like to see some type of randomised breakdown mechanism placed on each vehicle based on how well maintained they are. You could then include a vehicle repair aspect where you need to call out an engineer to fix the problem. This would of course have a cost attached and the farm should be able to choose to either have an ongoing maintenance plan with the dealer or pay a higher price for adhoc repairs when needed.

5 Contracts - This is a big missing element for me. These days farms are contracting out so much of their work and I feel there are a few things which could be included really easily such as:
a) Taking a contract to work (plough, cultivate, sow, spray or harvest) a field that you don't own. These should be time limited.
b) Taking a contract to supply a certain amount of goods by a specific time. This could be a specific crop or even better, for bales of hay, straw or silage. Bales are currently so under utilised in my opinion and believe this could be an element of its own (see 6). If supplying grain, as suggested in point 3 above, moisture levels should able to a factor for success.
c) Contracts should be offered based on your reputation. If you continually fail to deliver on your agreements, people will stop offering you work but if you keep making good on your contracts, you'll be offered bigger and better contracts.
d) Contract benefits should not just be for money but could also mean you get an extra field or piece of equipment for free.

6 Selling of bales - Currently selling bales is a matter of simply dropping them off at a sale point whenever you want however it would be better to have these sold on a contract basis to customers on an upfront agreement basis with penalties for under delivering. For example, you take a contract to supply 100 bales of wheat straw but your harvest only yields 90 bales. This would then mean you'd pay a penalty and it would lower your reputation meaning you might not be able to get the next big contract. The way to complete these contracts should also be different too. Instead of just dropping off bales somewhere, I'd like to see a lorry turn up at your farm (or the field where the bales are kept) that then needs to be loaded. Again, this should all be under time constraints meaning it puts pressure on you getting all your jobs done quickly and efficiently if you're to succeed.

Lastly I'd like to say that things like my crop yield suggestion could be tailored into the difficulty selection meaning that only by selecting either "Hard" or maybe even "As real as it gets!" will actually enable things like these. That way people who just want to play the game and not be too bothered by the extra complexities can do so.

Any feedback or suggestions on how to improve these ideas would also be great :)
I don't think you could improve in any major way on your thoughts, very good ideas and well thought out, you can get mods to do some of the things you suggest but by no means all and certainly not to the depth that you suggest, I especially like the contracts idea. have you seen this http://www.pc-sg.uk/threads/new-farming ... post-13409 ??
nickh1278

Post by nickh1278 »

Steve the farmer wrote:Yes...great suggestions! Furthermore, the yields should fluctuate depending on actual weather and growth method. As in real life make the yields change depending on if you worked the field (plowing/ cultivating) compared to just drilling it. The soil mod is cool but watering the field with a sprayer is flat out stupid. Let alone applying fertilizer with it. A sprayer is for herbicides and fungicides. A dry spreader is for fertilizer! Water is applied via pivot or traveler! They should also make the chickens more realistic. Buying them amd just picking up eggs is demeaning to my prowess of actual farm management! Have breeder, broilers, layers, actual chicken houses that you have to maintain with feed, water, and clearing the house of litter which in turn produces manure to spread! More crops, more crops, and more crops. Cotton and peanuts specifically! Tobacco, grain sorghum, rice, vegetable produce, orchard crops, soybeans, legumes. As stated have a rotation when done correctly increases yields and hurts your yield when you don't. Have weeds, pests, damage, actual factors that affect crop price. Impliment actual field conditions...mud, to dry, to wet, changing seasons. Make the weather actually change... spring, summer, fall, winter. Have warm and cold weather growing periods!
Cheers Steve. I haven't actually tried the Soil mod yet so cant comment on it but will look it up to see if it gives me any more of a realistic feel. Regarding the animals though, and my lack of any suggestions towards them, I don't do anything with them so don't really know much you can and can't do already. As for the seasonal thing, yes I too had already thought about that and the fact that your crop yields could also be impacted by things like how early or late you do your drilling and how wet/dry easy season has been however that would mean a total overhaul of how time works within the game and you'd need something silly like x100,000 to actually be able to play the game without leaving it for actual weeks and months for your crops to grow. I'm all for realism but I do think that might be taking it a little far ;)
nickh1278

Post by nickh1278 »

dairy stu wrote:I don't think you could improve in any major way on your thoughts, very good ideas and well thought out, you can get mods to do some of the things you suggest but by no means all and certainly not to the depth that you suggest, I especially like the contracts idea. have you seen this http://www.pc-sg.uk/threads/new-farming ... post-13409 ??
Hey Stu, thanks man. I hadn't heard of the Cattle & Crops sim no but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on it as it sounds awesome *thumbsup*
CC9020

Post by CC9020 »

Expansion on 'Contracts', and some of my own stuff- kinda from Space Engineers, but still.

Contracts: add a gamemode relying solely on them to get started. Go to a jobs board in town, and pick out jobs you can do! Some jobs (transport, harvesting) provide equipment (in some cases) but in other cases, you need to own it! You start out with just one tractor and a cultivator, sowing machine and plough. The $7,500 range for ‘equipment provided’ jobs, and $20,000 range for ‘you do it yourself’ jobs.
Maps- make dem mucchhh bigger, bro. I want a $20k transport job- four trailers of grain- from one town to a village fifty miles down the road. Up max speed to say 75mph, for a semi, 120 for a pickup and 35 for a tractor. With the JCBs, give them an extra 3mph, too. Contracts: drive (on the road!) from point a to point b, then do your work. Hardcore mode DISABLES ‘tab’- and manual attaching is required. A seeder that requires 180hp REQUIRES 180hp, and won’t work with 140. Also, WTF happened to the ‘small’ tractor division? We go from ONLY small in ’13, to BIG BIGG BIGGGGGG in ’15. I LIKED DEUTZ, TOO!!!! AND NO MORE LICENSES REQUIRED.. WTF- What the hekk is Zefor and Rossfelflash? (not really.. NIVA ALL THE WAY1!!!!!111111 gotta luv dat Krist@l 123214371246 thing, too) But really- I want to start with $150, a tractor and JUST a seeder, cultivator and plough. Small stuff, like in ’11.
:chinese: LOL :chinese:
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

anything based on or related to weather wont work, as you just cant compress 1 year of weather into 1 day, you would have to implement at lest e.g. 7 day effective "weather years" and 3-5 day crop growth "seasons" to give any chance of "weather" having reasonable effect vs. choices you made vs. e.g. yield, crop moisture % or even field maintenance in some cases
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
Trigger82

Post by Trigger82 »

b101uk wrote:anything based on or related to weather wont work, as you just cant compress 1 year of weather into 1 day, you would have to implement at lest e.g. 7 day effective "weather years" and 3-5 day crop growth "seasons" to give any chance of "weather" having reasonable effect vs. choices you made vs. e.g. yield, crop moisture % or even field maintenance in some cases
well we could have them make a crop grow for eg 5 game days, to allow the possible different game weathers. then to compensate the wait maybe bump up what the crop is worth at sale. plus allowing multiple game days we could get the chance to maintain and care for the crops
nickh1278

Post by nickh1278 »

CC9020 wrote:Expansion on 'Contracts', and some of my own stuff- kinda from Space Engineers, but still.

Contracts: add a gamemode relying solely on them to get started. Go to a jobs board in town, and pick out jobs you can do! Some jobs (transport, harvesting) provide equipment (in some cases) but in other cases, you need to own it! You start out with just one tractor and a cultivator, sowing machine and plough. The $7,500 range for ‘equipment provided’ jobs, and $20,000 range for ‘you do it yourself’ jobs.
Maps- make dem mucchhh bigger, bro. I want a $20k transport job- four trailers of grain- from one town to a village fifty miles down the road. Up max speed to say 75mph, for a semi, 120 for a pickup and 35 for a tractor. With the JCBs, give them an extra 3mph, too. Contracts: drive (on the road!) from point a to point b, then do your work. Hardcore mode DISABLES ‘tab’- and manual attaching is required. A seeder that requires 180hp REQUIRES 180hp, and won’t work with 140. Also, WTF happened to the ‘small’ tractor division? We go from ONLY small in ’13, to BIG BIGG BIGGGGGG in ’15. I LIKED DEUTZ, TOO!!!! AND NO MORE LICENSES REQUIRED.. WTF- What the hekk is Zefor and Rossfelflash? (not really.. NIVA ALL THE WAY1!!!!!111111 gotta luv dat Krist@l 123214371246 thing, too) But really- I want to start with $150, a tractor and JUST a seeder, cultivator and plough. Small stuff, like in ’11.
I'm not sure I agree with the idea of using the contracts to make FS run 'on rails' as it were. I guess there is the possibility though of it bringing in new players who don't have the knowledge or imagination to run a sandbox type sim. I know that when I first starting playing FS13 on my Xbox years ago, I struggled to begin with and just basically went back and forth harvest and replanting to same 3 fields never really getting anywhere. So yeah, I suppose having an 'on rails' storyline type option may appeal to some.

I also agree that some maps could be bigger but I definitely don't agree about upping the speeds to what you're suggesting. This is FS not GTA ;)
nickh1278

Post by nickh1278 »

Trigger82 wrote:
b101uk wrote:anything based on or related to weather wont work, as you just cant compress 1 year of weather into 1 day, you would have to implement at lest e.g. 7 day effective "weather years" and 3-5 day crop growth "seasons" to give any chance of "weather" having reasonable effect vs. choices you made vs. e.g. yield, crop moisture % or even field maintenance in some cases
well we could have them make a crop grow for eg 5 game days, to allow the possible different game weathers. then to compensate the wait maybe bump up what the crop is worth at sale. plus allowing multiple game days we could get the chance to maintain and care for the crops
This is pretty much what I was going to say too Trigger :) Having crops grow and ripen over a longer period (but not too long of course, say 5-7 days) would then allow you to do multiple jobs and work other contracts at the same time. It would also mean an added pressure to successfully completing contracts such as grain supply if you ended up sowing a little late and the weather then isn't great meaning you either can't harvest until a day later or you have to put them through a drying cycle
Carlo1969

Post by Carlo1969 »

More realism would be great, some more crops would be nice too, in fact all the suggestions made are good. One thing that I miss is... mud. Ever saw a field that was soaking wet? Tractors that get stuck, tracks that stay there after the ground dries again, that would be great to have. Take a look at the mud created in Spintires. If we could have something like that in FS...
TheOpfarmer

Post by TheOpfarmer »

I think your suggestions are great and i would love to see this features in the next fs game. But i think that you should be able to repair you're vehicles on the farm on your own