Grass accumulation after repeated mowings

Farmer John 16

Grass accumulation after repeated mowings

Post by Farmer John 16 »

Sometimes if I don't need the hay right away, I'll mow a patch of grass multiple times before I rake and bale it. It's handy to do this because then you only have to make one pass with the other equipment instead of doing it after every mowing. I know that the grass accumulates, but I would like to know more if anyone can help. Does this continue indefinitely or is there a maximum number of times this can be done? Also, does 100 percent of the grass accumulate from one mowing to the next or is there some loss. I've heard that there is some loss when raking. Does this have any affect on the amount lost when raking? Thanks for the help.
Playing on PS4
wilmer007

Re: Grass accumulation after repeated mowings

Post by wilmer007 »

it's based on the plant growth and if you speed up time. the best way would be to set plant growth to slowest and play in real time to not speed up.
Fastest Way of Making Money in Farming Simulator 15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Pm2KuWsQk

Making Hard Mode Less of a Grind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQpJc-Na7zo
SEANMG42

Post by SEANMG42 »

It think it works for 2 or 3 cuts of grass it kind of dependes on the windrower you use because I think there is a cut of point to how much grass or hay that can be put in a row however I'm not certain. I get more bales when I do 2 or 3 cuts I haven't tried doing any more cuts than that. I hope this answers your question.
Gnasher3i6

Post by Gnasher3i6 »

There was a post on here a while back about windrow's.

After some testing it was found that a single windrow would only hold a certain amount, I can't remember exactly how much.
But for example, If you were to merge 3 windrows into 1 you may get all the straw/hay but if you add a 4th windrow you still only get the value of 3.

So for the original question "Does this continue indefinitely or is there a maximum number of times this can be done?"
Personally If I were to do this, I would only do it 2 time's or risk wasting time mowing grass that will likely not count when windrowed.
UK - PS4/PC Player
Farmer John 16

Post by Farmer John 16 »

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions everybody. I've been doing a lot of the mowing missions, but I would usually do several of them before I would pick up the grass or bale it for hay. I never did take the time and check the numbers to see if I was getting it all or not. It sounds like I've probably been wasting some of it. I'll keep it to three or less mowings from now on. Thanks.
Playing on PS4
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

There may have been earlier posts about windrowing (in fact, I'm sure that there will have been!) but here's one I did last August

Looking at the first post again, basic windrowing on a test field yielded 89950 litres, but aggressive windrowing (into one line) dropped this down to 29900 litres :(
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
W1der

Post by W1der »

I just realized that wild grass and planted grass has different yield ... At least on "hard working" map!

Btw ... When I was playing Björnholm ... I mowed 2 times ... A 3rd time didnt give me that many more bales than 2 ...
Last edited by W1der on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Farmer John 16

Post by Farmer John 16 »

I did some testing on the plot where the mowing missions are on the sosnovka map. I only mowed the part that is used for the mission. I windrowed with the Top 1252 and collected with the Garant 540/2. When mowed once, the yield was 16212, twice was 29832 and three times was 31234. I also tested without windrowing and got the following yields. Once was 16230, twice was 32235 and three times was 48891. It seems that the third time is a waste when windrowed. It's not that I didn't believe you, it's just that I really wanted to see some numbers. Now I'm curious as to how many times I can mow without windrowing. There seems to be no loss up to three times. I might test that further and see.
Playing on PS4
danielhawkins

Post by danielhawkins »

When you are mowing it and doing tests make sure the grass you mow for each test is at the same growth stage. Grass that has flowers on it has gone 1 stage past ripe growth and as far as i have recognised it you lose some yield in that stage. So on the growth map in the PDA a ripe crop of any type including grass is light green, the stage after it goes dark green. That is far as grass goes. What i am saying is that i have recognised more yield from grass at the light green stage than at the dark green stage. (i could be wrong as i haven't solely tested this though)
What ever it is I just said; I could be wrong!
Farming on FS17
"PC"
-MSI Gaming Pro Carbon RGB
-Intel i7 6850K Hexacore 3.6gHz-3.9gHz
-32GB RAM
-MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
-Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 1TB
-Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
-Logitech G710+, Corsair M65 PRO RGB
-Samsung SyncMaster B2240
How to find and post your Log.txt
Farmer John 16

Post by Farmer John 16 »

When I collected these numbers, I turned the plant growth off and I only mowed when the mowing mission became available. I would assume that the growth stage should of been the same every time and it always had flowers on it. I wanted to do more extensive testing, but it tuned out to be pretty time consuming and I was getting tired of all the mowing, so I took a break and went back to farming for now.
Playing on PS4
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Good point about growth stage!

I think my tests were OK as I saved the game before each test, got the figures, exited without saving, then reloaded and did the next element from effectively the same point! :)
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
W1der

Post by W1der »

W1der wrote:I just realized that wild grass and planted grass has different yield ... At least on "hard working" map!

Btw ... When I was playing Björnholm ... I mowed 2 times ... A 3rd time didnt give me that many more bales than 2 ...
Hjm ...
The second time I mowed the planted grass the yield was low again ... *confused*

Would fertilizer have any effect on grass !?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Carkrazy6499

Post by Carkrazy6499 »

W1der wrote:
W1der wrote:Would fertilizer have any effect on grass !?
No it does nothing, read the basic intro thread.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Carkrazy6499 wrote:
W1der wrote:
W1der wrote:Would fertilizer have any effect on grass !?
No it does nothing, read the basic intro thread.
Ok ... Trying to figure out why the grass yield is much higher for the first mowe after planting a field of grass and then after the second growth season it goes back to "normal" ...