Can the dedicated server (CD) and Steam Copy

skmcconnell361

Can the dedicated server (CD) and Steam Copy

Post by skmcconnell361 »

I have been running fs17 on my computer with Steam. I bought a CD copy to upgrade the fs15 dedicated server for my group on another computer, it turns out that this second computer is only 1.5ghz cpu and not able to run fs17 or the dedicated server.

My question is can I run the dedicated server(cd copy) and play the steam copy on the same computer? or should I avoid this setup.
SXyGeeK

Re: Can the dedicated server (CD) and Steam Copy

Post by SXyGeeK »

you should generally avoid this setup, though i have not tested it with farming simulator.
most games which offer dedicated server support will work best when that dedicated server is run on , as the name implies, a dedicated host (dedicated in that it does nothing else)

in most games you may actually find a performance penalty in running a separate dedicated server and the game client on the same computer, as they fight for resources. it's often better in that case to run a "listen server" (opening the game client to multiplayer) so its able to manage both roles aware of each other.

you may find that if you have a beefy multicore processor and sufficient RAM that your computer is able to run what you are considering well.
only one way to find out, let us know how it goes.
skmcconnell361

Post by skmcconnell361 »

Well, I do have a AMD six Core 3Ghz, 16g ram and a GTX 960 with 4g ram.
currently downloading the update for the CD version.
Farmer_Dale

Post by Farmer_Dale »

No you can not run dedicated server and game from 1 computer at the same time unless you use some kind of virtual server software
Lister471

Post by Lister471 »

It should be possible. The problem will be your internet connection. Servers are like 4-5 a month for 4 slots just rent a dedicated server.