Planting and selling crops

Buddy2004

Planting and selling crops

Post by Buddy2004 »

Is anyone else finding there only planting like one type of plant. I have 3 fields of canola and 2 of corn for chaff. I don't see a point to planting everything when canola sells the most and chaff sells the most to the bio plant. Anyone in the same boat or am I missing something?
hasab

Re: Planting and selling crops

Post by hasab »

Hi.

Canola: I plant lots of them because of the high selling prices, it brings the most money.
Wheat: It has a permanent lower price compared to canola, but I also plant wheat to gather straw with baler for cowshed to produce manure for free spraying.
Corn: It is good for chaff to produce slurry at the biogas plant as you wrote it.
Sugar beet and potato: I think it is just for fun if you are bored of doing the same thing again and again. :-)

I changed to forestry for a while because of the following two things:
#1 - I got bored of the plow-sow-spray-harvest-plow-sow-spray-harvest circle over and over,
#2 - It makes a very good money with less work
So now all of the crop production machines stand still near the silos, and I got 3 Ponsse ScorpionKing for wood-cutting and 3 Ponsse Buffalo for transporting the wood to the selling points and 3 Case Magnum 380 tractor equipped with FSI ST65T stump cutter. There is a forest near the Train Station for one troop of foresters, another forest near the Harbor for the second troop, and the third troop cuts trees everywhere in and out of the town near the Sawmill. But I realized that 1 troop (cutter, transporter, tractor with stump cutter) is more then enough for forestry because until one forest has been cut the previously cut forest will grow up. The only bad thing in forestry is the really slowly moving vehicles (I know I could use the low loader).
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

I try to keep all fruit types stockpiled in Storage waiting for a Great Demand. This gives the best return, I think, for my time. It also gives me opportunities to work with varying crop types. Yes, Canola sells for more per ton, but you get less tons per field than other fruits, especially sugar beets, so you get just about as much money from each fruit type, I think, except for market trends. I haven't calculated precisely though.

I have one team of tractors and harvesters working the four fields that surround the south and west sides of the sheep pasture. One tractor cultivates all of those fields while another tractor follows with the sower. Then the first tractor runs the slurry spreader after it has cultivated all of the four fields. For sugar beets and potatoes, the second tractor picks up the harvester after sowing all four fields and waits for harvesting. Then the first tractor picks up the tipper and waits for the harvester to honk. The last two fields need a delay before starting to sow to ensure the harvester can pick it all up before going bad.

Then another team of tractors and harvesters work the huge field near the train station and also the field just north of that. They all work west to east to avoid the shed, of course. The tractors run the same pattern as the other set of fields where both fields are cultivated before that tractor picks up the next implement. I'm thinking of expanding this team to manage a third field soon.

A third team of one tractor mows the three grass fields on the west side and also picks up grass from the two fields nearest the farm with the small loader and usually takes it to the sheep and cow barns. Any other tractor that becomes idle picks up the field by the fuel station with the large loader and usually takes it to the biogas plant. It's okay to mow again before picking up as the loader will pick up more per pass when it can come around. I don't know it three mowings work as well though.

A forth team does all of the forest work with the ScorpianKing leading the way around the map clockwise. Maybe I'll change directions for variety soon. Always have to watch the loader's gas level and try to get that when pretty close to one of the fuel stations.

All of this is going on simultaneously with some interruptions for tasks and Great Demands and rescuing stuck hirelings. I'm currently running almost 200,000 tons or liters or whatever the unit in the storage is. Then focus all fields on whatever fruit was sold out in the Great Demand. Oh ya, the Great Demand is met using the Semi tractor and tipper trailer which is kept parked behind the shed near the lake. I also detach them so they don't come running to harvester honking.

Soon I'll see if I can manage a fifth team on another set of fields near the Harbor.

George
hasab

Post by hasab »

Hi.

Impressive summary, good methods! Thanks for posting it. *thumbsup*

Since my previous post I learned a lot about cultivation, forestry and trading so my methods are the following now:

I work clockwise on all the seven fields around the sheep pen with one set of machines: the biggest harvester, 3 of the fastest tractors, one camion with tipper trailer.
With the first tractor attached with the biggest cultivator I start plowing the field below the sheeps nearest to the cows, then comes the next one below the sheeps to the left, then comes the big field below the mill then the two fields on the left of the sheep pen, then the two fields across the road to the north, then start again on the lowest one with another type of crop.
When the plowing tractor ends the first pass and just starts the second pass I start the biggest cultivator in the opposite way. When the field is almost fully sown the sprayer or manure spreader can start its work.
This method works only with wheat, canola and corn because those can be harvested fast with the biggest yellow harvester.
I always use the camion and the biggest tipper trailer for unload the harvester so I only need to empty the trailer 2 or 3 times in one cycle contrary to the tractor with tipper with its 6-7 unloads per cycle. And the camion also can be called to unload the harvester by honking.
Unfortunately the "honk for trailer" trick doesnt work with sugarbeet and potato harvesters (because those are not really harvesters, just tractor attachments) so it is more time consuming to unload them, thats why I dont like to plant those crops.

About the forestry: I work with 2 Scorpion Kings, 3 Buffalos and one tractor attached with the stumpcutter in the two forests around the harbour. After the whole forest is down and sold I cut all the stumps in one go, then start cutting out the other forest.
The same set of forestry machines work in the 3 forests around the train station: the first one is to the north, the second one is to the left and the third one is to the south of the station.

Hasab
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

Nice process there Hasab. I don't see an issue with the "honk for trailer" trick even for sugar beet and potato harvesters. I wonder if this is something they changed (fixed) before I started planting those fruits. Maybe try again?

I don't know what you mean by the camion. I don't mind unloading the tipper to storage multiple times since I get get a hireling to do it while I do something else. I use the Fliegl(grey) tipper for the small fields and the Krampe(red) one for the big fields.

I've thought about getting another Buffalo Loader for logs to speed up that process. My loader often waits quite a while for the price to maximize someplace. If I had two or three loaders, I could sell all of them when that max price is achieved. With one loader, the price goes down again by the time that slow machine comes back to pick up more logs. I'm thinking that one Scorpion King can keep up with two or three Buffalos.

George
hasab

Post by hasab »

As I wrote I dont like to plant sugarbeet and potato because of that missing automatism so it didnt turn out for me that the feature is working now but I will give it a try because it's good money. :-)

The camion has much more space and speed (~80kmph) then any other tipper or tractor, so it is worth to buy one or two. Or not. It your choice. ;-)

With two ScorpionKing the cutting is so fast the Buffalos barely catch them gathering the logs, I like that they always have some logs to pack to the back. :) I dont care of the price of the logs, I always send the logs to the nearest selling point because of the slowliness of the Buffalos. Maybe I miss some money but I think its not worth to send them to the other end of the world for some extra cash. But it's good to know how others think and work. ;)
Navan

Post by Navan »

The camion is the big semi-truck. But i follow virtually the same process as hasab on those 7 fields. Though i also keep lizard trucks with the largest tipper not requiring a dolly(~40k capacity). This is primarily due to the issue of the camion not always being able to pull around the harvesters without colliding with them.
Willard123

Post by Willard123 »

@ggorman and hasab: I am in agreement with hasab. The lower cost I will fetch by going to the nearest selling point is not a problem to me. It is a trade-off since I do not want to spend all that time travelling right across the game play--especially 12 logs at a time and a large logging area to contend with.

It would be great if we could use the Scorpion and Buffalo for only off-road use, and have Giants release a trailer with bunks that hold 20 logs and that connects to the Man transport truck for fast, road delivery to any selling point within a minute of two.
hasab

Post by hasab »

@Navan: That's a good idea to use pickup trucks instead of tractors to pull the big red tipper. And thanks for explaining the meaning of camion.

@Ggorman: About camion I ment the MAN TGS 18.440 truck with its 440 HP and 80 km/s speed. But Navan is right that the camion sometimes collide with the harvester because of its huge size.

@Willard: You could post your idea in the "New feature request" topic.