Forestry

dhenning1009

Forestry

Post by dhenning1009 »

Anyone attacked forestry yet?

I've acquired a handful of Magnum 380 tractors with all of the best equipment and I have a fluid rotation down really well to make money and burn my downtime, but has anyone gotten into the forestry section of the game?

I have 400k sitting around and I could save and spend it on the ScorpionKing (338k) and the Buffalo (242k) or I could buy more fields and expand on my farming enterprise more. Any opinions?
Navan

Re: Forestry

Post by Navan »

Honestly i only got the forestry equipment myself for clearing troublesome trees. It's a manual process and won't likely fit into the well oiled setup you have.
hasab

Post by hasab »

If you have set up some good working farms and they can do the work alone, you can start forestry, but that is a manual and time consuming job, you have to stop the forestry often and switch back to harvesting crops. But after all the forestry also has its own good money I think.
Last edited by hasab on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willard123

Post by Willard123 »

I agree with Hasab's logic. Set up your main farming to run with hired help. Monitor constantly using the full map view (for example, it will show you if 2 vehicles have collided, or if a field is ready for harvesting).

To get into forestry you need all three pieces of equipment: the Scorpion (cutter), the Buffalo (loader), and a small tractor fitted with the ST 65T (stump grinder). The last piece is needed as the tree will not grow back unless you grind its stump. I bought the cheapest tractor for $52K because all it does is drive around from stump to stump; it doesn't pull anything.

I park these three vehicles at the bottom of the screen, just outside the harbour, on the grass. I manage the 3 forest areas one at a time and, due to the slow moving Buffalo, only deliver my logs to the Harbour.

Near here is a fuelling station too.

One tree is cut onto 3 pieces, and 12 pieces fills the Buffalo. You get $20k per load. The biggest forest just above the harbour yields $145K.

Doing forest work is fun. It definitely adds to the enjoyment of this game, a nice alternative to regular plowing and cultivating.
hasab

Post by hasab »

Yes, the best place to start the forestry is around the Harbor, there is a lot of trees around it and the Harbour selling point is fortunately very close, because those Buffalos are really like a snail. So working farther from the selling points need more Buffalos 'cause one Buffalo can always gather logs during the other Buffalos are transporting them to one of the three selling points.

Later when the purse allows it, the forestry fleet can be expanded so there could be three troops of foresters, one is around the Harbour, second is at the lower right corner of the map which can ship the logs to the Train station, and the third is at the upper right corner, they can transport the logs either to the Train station or to the carpenter.

The cheapest tractor is good for start cutting stumps, but later when it needs to travel longer distances, it is very slow for that job.
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

Forestry is a good source of steady income. Nothing like when you have a big stock of a fruit when a great demand for it comes in, but still a good steady income. I run with just one scorpion King and one buffalo loader. I let the loader go to whatever selling point gives the best money, usually. The buffalo loader is slow, sure, but the hired help generally manages the trip there and back without getting stuck. Well, except when three logs shows up in the mountain pass to block the road. I usually get a fast tractor to come push them to the side. Or, just let the loader pick them up. But then you'll have to drive it manually back to the worksite. Also, I think you won't get more logs magically appearing there if you just push the three aside. I could be wrong about that.

I've found that, if I get too far ahead cutting trees down, the great number of logs presents problems in the program. The graphics slowed down significantly when a tractor enters the work site area, for one thing. This is better now that I'm running with my iPad Pro. Also, the loader doesn't seem to see some logs when there are so many scattered around. I need to move it to another collection and come back for the ones it couldn't pick up. I dunno what that's all about. I cannot reproduce it well enough to report it as a bug. Only a suspicion about why the loader won't pick them up.

In one game, I had pretty good luck running the buffalo around with the Fliegl low loader. It's all manual though, so no time for the crops which isn't ideal. If you line up the low loader at the selling point so it unloads the buffalo right onto the selling point, it's pretty efficient. Once the buffalo is unloaded and the ramps go up, put them down quick before focus changes to the buffalo. When it switches, the logs will sell. Then drive it forward onto the ramps and focus changes back to the low loader and you're ready to drive it back to the work site. I use to be able to get the buffalo to pick up logs while still on the low loader, but I think they may have fixed that. It was a bit awkward anyway. Just remember to put the ramps down again so you can drive the loaded buffalo back on.

Good luck with forestering. It's another game within the game.

George
Willard123

Post by Willard123 »

Using the Fliegl low loader to transport a Buffalo to the place offering the highest purchase price makes sense; I own one and will try it. You are right though, George, it is all manual, and time is often critical especially when crops are close to or ready for harvest..

For me, sending the Buffalos out on the road using hired help only works for short distances. Due to the time it takes, it does not seem practical for these machines to travel this way, for example, from the bottom forest (near the Harbour) to the Sawmill on the top of the play area (where prices may be the best). Also, my Buffalos used to get stuck making this journey on their own. I gave up on the option.

It would be nice if Giants took the suggestion made a while ago and created a logging truck designed to travel on the roads at higher speeds...
Guil

Post by Guil »

Hi just reading above and I'm curious about forrestry, Do threes grow back if the stump is ground down?
Navan

Post by Navan »

Yes they will.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Hmm so there's no real way to remove a tree that's in the way when the helper is turning?
Navan

Post by Navan »

Actually just don't grind the stump. The stump does not act as a barrier.
hasab

Post by hasab »

Guil wrote:Hmm so there's no real way to remove a tree that's in the way when the helper is turning?
If there is a tree in the way (and sure there are a lot of trees in the way around the fields) just cut that tree down, but DO NOT cut the stump! The stump will not be in the way ever, and the tree will not grow back.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Thanks.
ozcomz

Post by ozcomz »

Hopefully someone sees this, this is an old post, is there anyway to store logs? or do you need to sell them when the buffalo has all 12 logs on it?
Dr. Bob

Post by Dr. Bob »

There is no way to store logs other than to leave them lying around, but there might be a maximum to the number of logs you can leave lying around before the oldest start disappearing same as with bales. And maybe this maximum is for bales and logs combined. Possibly (a little) over 50. It's 50 bales in FS14. I've tested that, but I believe I have had 52 bales in view in FS16.