[FS19]DevBlog - Let’s Bale!

Deora

Re: [FS19]DevBlog - Let’s Bale!

Post by Deora »

Why is start/stop an issue? That is how most of the round balers work in reallife.
FS19 and FS22 on PS4
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Ritchie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 pm Do you speak to people like that in real life?
If you don't see it being of any use to you then fine, don't buy it. No need to be so rude to Chris/Giants who was simply answering a question.

The DLC looks great to me. Brings lots of new functionality to the game and will be fun to use, regardless of what "money" can be made.
Short answer is yes, though you are implying a lot of tone that doesn't exist.

When companies spend resources on developing something for sale, they should be having discussions about why people will buy it. A certain portion of the population will buy it regardless, another portion will not buy it and then there is the middle ground where people will buy it if they see value.

Let's look at the sales pitch for FS19 to get people to buy it and transition over from FS17.
  • Placable and terrain editing in game - big plus
  • Better graphics - minor plus
  • New crops in cotton and oats - minor plus and both were also buffed post patch and one could argue oats is the best grain to grow and cotton is the best specialty crop to grow. At launch, both crops were considered a waste of time and therefore Giants spent resources on something that no one was using and decided to buff both crops to best in class.
  • Horses- most profitable livestock by far, so plus if you want to raise animals
  • John Deere - big plus as Deere is not in the game for all users
Giants has already shown that they are willing to buff things that they spent resources on so people will use them. People would probably have transitioned anyway from FS17 to FS19 even without horses, oats and cotton, but all 3 of those items are currently best in class and all are only picked up by purchasing FS19.

Let's look at the DLC which is 30% of the price of the FULL game for 13(?) pieces of equipment.
  • 6 pieces of redundant equipment, very minor selling point as choices are good, but still not something strong to sell the DLC on
  • 3 pieces of larger capacity equipment, ok selling point, but still probably not worth spending $10 on
  • 2 pieces of unique equipment that introduce a new process (wrapping bales in a long tube), ok selling point, but highly unknown until it is seen how it competes with silage bunkers and individually wrapped bales for ease of use. This implies some portion of the user base will wait and see if this feature is worth it.
  • 2 pieces of unique equipment that really are put together for one process, baling popular. This is probably the most interesting piece of equipment as there as a chance it would produce a nicely profitable bale of "stuff" from a crop that is basically ignored. Small popular trees are on par with sugarcane and potatoes as far as having to use small equipment to harvest a high volume crop. We know now that the bale is wood chips, which means the crop sells for 1/4 the price of potatoes and sugarcane, making it not worth the time other than the novelty. Either wood chips are getting a buff or the baler needs to act like a land clearing device allowing people to mow down stumps, bushes and random sticks for it to have any value.
If the popular baler is purely a wood chip baler for small popular trees and nothing else changes, then the DLC is basically hinged on 3 large capacity machines, 2 of which are for the lesser used bale type, (which PC users can just edit xml files of one and get there) and 2 tube bale wrappers. I don't see that as being big selling points for a $10 DLC and I like hay operations. If the popular baler does more and/or wood chip prices are buffed, then more value is added to the DLC; though wood chip price buffs would probably still not make me inclined to use the baler as shredding big trees or using a forage harvester is more time efficient than the round baler.

As I said, I hope there is more to this, but right now it looks like a lot of effort spent with little incentive for people to buy.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

Deora wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm Why is start/stop an issue? That is how most of the round balers work in reallife.
Most people would rather use a forage harvester to accomplish the same task once they have the funds. Round balers are fairly cheap and simplistic IRL compared to big square bales, but if funds aren't much of an issue (like in the game) people will upgrade to big squares fairly quickly to get rid of the stopping and starting. The same would apply to the wood chip round baler if that is all it does because people will just upgrade to a forage harvester having to only stop once the trailer is full (22K vs 2K).
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Saying that Giants had wasted their time on producing a load of junk kind of sets the tone of your post. If someone came to your work and said that to you, how would you react. I don't think that is an acceptable way to get your point across and makes you sound rather childish.
There is more to this game than making money, some will get enjoyment from simply using the equipment and this DLC gives us options.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Ritchie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:36 pm Saying that Giants had wasted their time on producing a load of junk kind of sets the tone of your post. If someone came to your work and said that to you, how would you react. I don't think that is an acceptable way to get your point across and makes you sound rather childish.
There is more to this game than making money, some will get enjoyment from simply using the equipment and this DLC gives us options.
That’s the whole point of the game for me...playing with toys! Potatoes are time consuming but I like the equipment,I’ve got a telehandler because I like it ( I could just use a front loader) I use the Kuhn 4 meter seeder because I like the set up
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

O5-Chris wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm
george.earlslight wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:51 pm Thanks for the new blog!
Is the poplar bale a new product with respect to the selling points?
Or is it going to sell at the woodchip rate?
It's gonna sell at woodchip rate with one bale equalling at 2000l.
Thanks for the reply! Buying on release date :biggrin2:
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Talking about baling...

I’d like to see a baler that ejects the round bales on its flat side so they won’t roll downhill.

By the way, there seem to be non-stop round bakers out there as well.
Ignorance is bliss
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

iwan073 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:18 pm
By the way, there seem to be non-stop round bakers out there as well.
There's a Krone continuous round baler/wrapper mod for FS17.
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2017
I had tried it, but it doesn't handle well dense rows (over 8m windrowers).
Farmer Foley

Post by Farmer Foley »

Can anyone confirm if the square bale loading trailers unload from the back like the round bale trailers can depending on the model, stacking square bales that way sometimes would be better due to heights of barns etc..couldn't even see anything on their own website.?
You keep a Troshin :hi:
patrickc273

Post by patrickc273 »

Farmer Foley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 am Can anyone confirm if the square bale loading trailers unload from the back like the round bale trailers can depending on the model, stacking square bales that way sometimes would be better due to heights of barns etc..couldn't even see anything on their own website.?
As far as I can tell "Bale Collectors" unload out the rear where "Bale Stackers" will stack the bales.
MetalGovy

Post by MetalGovy »

@05-Chris,

Do you know when we can pre-order this at steam?
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

MetalGovy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 pm @05-Chris,

Do you know when we can pre-order this at steam?
Serious question...

Why would you want to pre-order this?
It’s not like there’s a chance they’re sold out or anything.

I get it that you wanna pre-order a game, cause it gives you extras. But a dlc like this?
Ignorance is bliss
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

I like preordering because it means I have it the second it releases and I don't have to spend the time entering payment information. It's nice to just to preorder it when I have time to so that when it releases I can just download it. Plus this is a pretty cool DLC
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Fair enough:)
Ignorance is bliss
ltl.vamp

Post by ltl.vamp »

Smith Modding wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:33 am I like preordering because it means I have it the second it releases and I don't have to spend the time entering payment information. It's nice to just to preorder it when I have time to so that when it releases I can just download it. Plus this is a pretty cool DLC
There is one solution: Buy a console and season pass and you will have it at release! :lol:
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR