Farming Simulator 22: Let the good times grow - this Fall!

Gormett

Re: Farming Simulator 22: Let the good times grow - this Fall!

Post by Gormett »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:16 pm
Gormett wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm
punchi wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Did you even read the answer to the first question? :confusednew: :confusednew: :confusednew:
Yes, they said their engine has a whole lot of other requirements no other game engine out there can offer out of the box.

And then they proceeded to talk about features that every other engine offers out of the box.
They proceed to talk about stuff they’ve added/changed with the Engine, not any of the stuff that is special about GIANTS engine.
But I expected specific examples as to WHY they're not using a different engine. A proper answer to the first question. All I've got is "Other engines aren't capable of it. Here's what our engine is capable of that other engines have had for years"
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Gormett wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 pm But I expected specific examples as to WHY they're not using a different engine. A proper answer to the first question. All I've got is "Other engines aren't capable of it. Here's what our engine is capable of that other engines have had for years"
Why would you expect such info? It's hardly common practice for game developers to give away such info.

Look at that rival game. It did use an existing game engine and it hardly benefited from it - indeed it looked old by the time the game was released and doesn't perform well either (and yes, I was one of those silly enough to pre-order it).
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Gormett wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:36 pm But I expected specific examples as to WHY they're not using a different engine. A proper answer to the first question. All I've got is "Other engines aren't capable of it. Here's what our engine is capable of that other engines have had for years"
They've told us numerous times over and over again and still we get it all the time.
Bottomline is they've spent 10+ years making their own engine that is customised to their needs to change now would be utter madness.
And why is the fact that the developers saying that other engines aren't capable of doing what their engine can not specific enough for you?
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm They've told us numerous times over and over again and still we get it all the time.
Bottomline is they've spent 10+ years making their own engine that is customised to their needs to change now would be utter madness.

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm And why is the fact that the developers saying that other engines aren't capable of doing what their engine can not specific enough for you?
Because they disprove their own statement in the same article they post.
"Other cars aren't capable of having an automatic transmission, we have added a new technology to our car - an automatic transmission."
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Gormett wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm Because they disprove their own statement in the same article they post.
"Other cars aren't capable of having an automatic transmission, we have added a new technology to our car - an automatic transmission."
Has no one told you yet that just because you say something doesn't make it true?
Giant engine has allowed them to make at least 5 games that each made them enough money to justify making another one which I think is the bare minimum requirement to calling it a success. However of course you might be right maybe giants is in millions of debit and getting worse with every game they put out.
I would need to see the link to that quote to understand it in context.

We might be able to nag giants into adding gearboxes, seasons and better sounds into their games but getting them to change their engine is safe to say like trying to sell a dead horse....
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Simple answer for this: they're currently talking about the new upcoming game and the new things which have been added to the game. Its not the place to be discussing past decisions. In an article about the new game, you can't expect them to talk about every single choice they've made since the franchise began.

As for game engines: I thing what they're saying is that their engine has support for all the functionality which is unique to farming simulator (don't think growing, fertilizing, and harvesting crops is part of GTA).
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Gormett wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm
FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm They've told us numerous times over and over again and still we get it all the time.
And have you heard of unnecessary expense? Game engines aren’t plug and play, to change would be to remake the entire game.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

They told many times why they can’t use Unreal engine and others like it.

Just do your research
Ignorance is bliss
Chaki
GIANTS Software | Community Coordinator

Post by Chaki »

DEERE317 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:47 pm
Gormett wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm
And have you heard of unnecessary expense? Game engines aren’t plug and play, to change would be to remake the entire game.
Emphasis mine.

And to add to that, we would also need to either retrain existing staff or re-hire. This is a misapplication of the concept of a sunk-cost fallacy as the screenshot itself explains at the end. As some have noted, there is of course more information which we can't and/or won't disclose, but IMO "remaking every asset we have from the ground up" should already make it clear about how much investment of time, money and materials we're talking about. :search:
aka Chris - Community Coordinator - Professional Wolf - Typer of Keys

Technical Help [EN/DE] - Bug Reports - Support
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Hey, Chaki... I don't know if you can answer this question or not. But, I was just curious. With all the new sound improvements that are coming with FS22. Are we finally going to be getting those missing sound effects for Felling a Tree?

Like, seriously... at this point in time my friend. I swear my old lady is looking into booking an appointment with an exorcist. Because, I tend to make my own sound effects. :lol: -- I get the strangest looks. :blushnew:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Onkel Mo

Post by Onkel Mo »

There will be Sounds for falling trees.
There will even be different sounds for different crops depending on their grain size.
I think it was answered in the german forum.
Chaki
GIANTS Software | Community Coordinator

Post by Chaki »

Onkel Mo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:34 am There will be Sounds for falling trees.
There will even be different sounds for different crops depending on their grain size.
I think it was answered in the german forum.
Technically this was answered in the Sound QnA at FarmCon, but yes 100% correct.
aka Chris - Community Coordinator - Professional Wolf - Typer of Keys

Technical Help [EN/DE] - Bug Reports - Support
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Thank you for the info Onkel, unfortunately... I do not speak German. Thank you for confirming it as well, Chaki... I did not know it was already answered via FarmCon. I didn't get to watch the FarmCon Live Streams. I had to watch the videos that was uploaded via YouTube at a later time, and though... I did watch the sound videos, loved what I seen and heard from them. There was no mention of anything to do with trees, and alas... the QnA wasn't apart of the YouTube video unless I completely overlooked and missed something. :hi:

But, I can rest easy knowing I won't have to go against an exorcist in the near future!!! Unless, o'course she hires one between now and FS22's release date. :lol:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

I only have 1 more question... as I said, I unfortunately missed the QnA's. Will the Maintenance and Repaint be separated this time around? As in, can we keep the scratches/paint wear on our vehicles when he have to maintenance them?
Onkel Mo

Post by Onkel Mo »

GothicKing13 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:49 pm Thank you for the info Onkel, unfortunately... I do not speak German.
That's what a community is for...

Your other question wasn't answered by now. :hi: