Grow some vegetables! Let's take a look at the new greenhouses

Dairydeere

Re: Grow some vegetables! Let's take a look at the new greenhouses

Post by Dairydeere »

We grow a garden at home, I've been actively helping the FFA greenhouse at our local high school, and there is a local nursery that sell a lot of flowers, vegetable, and fruit plants, and none of those places bring in manure to regularly fertilize the plants, as their nutrient consumption is minimal and fulfilled by the nutrients provided in potting soil. In addition, any compost or soil sources are used only after the current crop has been sold/finished growing and a new seedbed needs preparation. FarmBoss, no offense, but if you are guessing greenhouses need fertilizer, then jumping to the conclusion that they don't, that is not a very strong argument, much less one worth attaching an insult to.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

The problem with manure is there is very little control to it, testing the soil after applying it for a few years can prove this, it will be all over the place. We use dry fertilizer in our garden and most of it is on sweet corn because of the boost you get side dressing with it when it’s tasseling. It’s way easier to apply it vegetable by vegetable to get the right nutrient to the right vegetables in the right amount
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I stand corrected by the experienced farmers. My guess was based on the assumption that Giants made greenhouses require fertilizer in the past because they were the farm experts.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I’m guess they did it so they weren’t total money printers that require no actual farming.
(Buy/hauling water and chemical fert would be basically that, instead you have/raise livestock (and potentially their feed to make greenhouses work)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Redd

Re: Grow some vegetables! Let's take a look at the new greenhouses (Feedback)

Post by Redd »

Just a little feedback on this one:
Just by adding water is an small step backwards if we comepair it to the prevs. games where we also need to add manure.

Altho i was not a big fan of making manure by having pigs an other thought cross my mind. Add an combination of being able to add Solid fertilizer/manure. Seeds can also be an other option to make it more real. But i can also kinda get that this Greenhouse might be an early stage production chain and you made it easy to start making money. But only water is to easy. By adding the options for Solid fertilizer folks can buy it from the store.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Until we know the prices we won't know how much of a money printer they are. I assume they will produce X a month regardless of the number of days? So you can't just wack it up to 28 days and have it profitable within 6 weeks instead of 3 years....
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

Haha production never works with month, usually it's per hour, and you gonna need it later in game for production chain
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

TheSarkY wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 pm Haha production never works with month, usually it's per hour, and you gonna need it later in game for production chain
Yeah that's what I'm worried about if you can place a wind turbine and have it profitable before you do your first harvest then what's the point? If they do it by the hour then the game will be broke at launch...
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

Why would it be? dont expect alot of income you gonna either get it slowly, really slowly or you gonna get it all at once when its grown after certain time/seasons. but they wont release it so you can just have greenhouses. Also i doubt prices are gonna be good.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

TheSarkY wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:58 am Why would it be? dont expect alot of income you gonna either get it slowly, really slowly or you gonna get it all at once when its grown after certain time/seasons. but they wont release it so you can just have greenhouses. Also i doubt prices are gonna be good.
well currently in fs19 a greenhouse costs 25,000 and pays back 60 every hour on normal economy so thats just under 17 and a half days to get your money back which in the new game if the days are months thats a year and a half but if you switch to 28 day months your greenhouse is now profitable before the end of January and you don't even have to have manure anymore so it's just a matter of carting water to them.
So therefore they need to change the income period from per hour to per month to prevent such abuses of the length of months... Plus it is far more realistic.

It's also why I think lengthening the seasons was such a problem for them because how do you stop people abusing the production chain side of the game. if the cake shop can produce 24 cakes per day or a month as originally intended suddenly if you play with 28 day months you have massively increased the productivity of that shop and your profits to go with it so why would you play on 1 day months....
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 am So therefore they need to change the income period from per hour to per month to prevent such abuses of the length of months... Plus it is far more realistic.
I get that feeling to, having the income/expense every month would be realistic. *thumbsup*
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Farmer Bacon

Post by Farmer Bacon »

this_is_gav wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:10 pm
Miketeg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:08 pm But I can't stand those 2ds textures in pallets / plants...they look awful.
Ah yes, when I saw those screenshots yesterday I mentioned it was odd things like that didn't use POM. You'd think fillplanes would be the perfect usage scenarios for POM.

Still, they're better than the stones fillplanes.
There's a chance that the screenshots are from an earlier build and the textures aren't final yet. Hope so as they are bit flat.
A virtual farmer. FS17 FS19 FS22 PS5
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

Its far more logical to have green house same as fields, you need to seed it so you have period when it grows and you harvest it.. but i guess its simpler to make it per hour income.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

TheSarkY wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:20 am Its far more logical to have green house same as fields, you need to seed it so you have period when it grows and you harvest it.. but i guess its simpler to make it per hour income.
But greenhouses aren't fields. Fields have as you say periods where you plant stuff and harvest it. Greenhouse are designed to grow all year round. Think California in a glass house. So as Giants said you will have crops to sell in the winter as well.
And as has been point out the potting soil used in greenhouses is prepared with fertilizer and nutrients. If at some point you need to add extra fertilizer it's usually mixed with the water.
I have yet to see a green house where there is a pile of manure sitting beside it.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

I take it these greenhouses will be able to be heated to allow this year round crop, not everywhere is warm all year round.