Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 14

Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Official Modder Teamspeak Call 19th of April 2017 19:00 BST / 20:00 CEST

Post by Lisertan »

Hey guys,

it's time to have an official "Modder Teamspeak Call" again. This time it's at the 19th of April 19:00 BST / 20:00 CEST .
Please make sure to use toe poll, as we would like to get a rough idea of how many of you will show up.

If you need the TeamSpeak IP and PW for the call, please PM me :)

In case you've never been there and wonder what this is about:

The official "Modder Teamspeak Call" is a place to share knowledge and ideas with other modders as well as the GIANTS team. So, if you are a modder and you want to learn something new, ask questions, provide feedback or help other modders, feel free to show up and say hi. Please keep in mind, that this call is not the place to ask non modding related questions (like what's in the next DLC), keep them for the forums ;)

Cheers
Lis

edit bassaddict:

transcript:

modding general:
-height nodes and unloadInfo nodes affect the scaling of the ParticleSystems and fillVolumes when unloading a trailer
-Script mods testing tips: modular scripting to support single parts testing, using syntax checker, mostly manual testing/QU due to complexity
-GE 7.1.0 released last week added the prefab support (prefabs from ModHub can be downloaded/imported, internet connection required)
-An extended Blender i3d exporter is planned due to Blender being used a lot, no timeframe though
-The amount of crops you can tip in one place (without moving the tipper while tipping) depends on the crop type (e.g. grain spreads more than chaff)
-solverIterationCount: rigidBody simulation, more iterations results in more accurate positions, but are CPU heavy
-Modding is an important part of the FS series, that's why we do the books, videos, modding sessions etc.

wishes / feature wishes (just wishes, nothing confirmed):
-Changing terrain textures ingame via script
-Allow mod rating from within the ingame ModHub
-Expanding the difficulty system even more

specific modding problems:
-Trailer wobbling: balancing the centerOfMass and the mass
-Changing light setup with the vehicle configs
-GDN improvements

ModHub:
-The ModHub guidelines with a lot of information about the requirements are available as PDF in the "misc" section if you're logged in
-Pre-compiled scripts not possible due to not being to our policy
-Mod search function would be helpful
-Mods can depend on other mods, as long as they are also on ModHub, including automatic download of dependencies
-Placeable fertilizer and seed triggers on console were possible, because the required scripts were added with a patch

Mod Contest:
-Winners DLC proposals can be anything, even scripts, although those might not be available on consoles
-HORSCH will chose the winners for their special prize, all other categories are public votes
-Placeable mods can be entered in the main category
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Nordvarg

Re: Official Modder Teamspeak Call 19th of April 2017 19:00 BST / 20:00 CEST

Post by Nordvarg »

Thanks Lisertan – It’s great that you guys keep doing these calls :hi:

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask during the call:

1. Heights nodes and Unload Info nodes?

I can make them work. But I honestly don’t know why…

What are the purpose of these nodes? Do they work together with the fillVolumeShape? And perhaps most important… What do I need to think of when placing them?

2. Model’s Center of Mass – How to balance a vehicle or tool?

It may just be me… But I find it difficult to find a center of mass value that works.

One example: I made this trailer. I filled it and attached it to a tractor. Depending on the center of mass value, the tractor would start wobbling either sideways or upside down. Sometimes the tractor started “floating” – a.k.a loss of steering.

I did spend several days trying to find the right balance…
:blushnew: In the end I used the compression data in gsVehicleToggleDebugRendering as a guide. But this method didn’t work all the time…

Do you guys have a shortcut, or a method, for nailing the center of mass without spending hours upon hours?

All the best :)
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

As usual, the transcript is available in the first post now.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Good transcript, loved reading it, but I would have liked to see a discussion about maybe a new game engine? People are going to get pretty angry if the game engine is going to be the same in FS19.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

There's no need for a discussion about a new game engine. Unless you know of a game engine that would meet the requirements for FS fully, or at least almost fully, there's no point in using a different engine. Our own game engine has still lots of potential to update/upgrade by adding new features we need, or switching out parts for better ones, if we find some or write the required stuff ourselves.

Most people don't know or understand how unique FS is regarding technical features. That's why some people are asking for a complete new engine.
Anyone understanding the basic concept of game engines will know why we stick to our own engine for now and most likely also for the forseeable future.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Oh, no I meant like an updated game engine, I should've been more specific on it, I do apologize for the horrible communication there.
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt