[Dev-Blog] Improved Farm Creation

Ritchie

Re: [Dev-Blog] Improved Farm Creation

Post by Ritchie »

A few people seem concerned about the "build your own farm" feature. The way I see it is it's just giving us players further flexibility in how we play. I'm sure any modded maps based on real life locations can be set up as they are in FS17 with the farms and buildings ready to go. All the new feature gives you is the ability to either expand/modify those farms or build an entirely new farm elsewhere on the map. This is something I tend to do ATM anyway (even on maps based on real life locations) but I'm obviously limited with what's possible in the current game.
I'm sure those that just want to work with the default farms can still do this in FS19 and those that want to build their own farm are now better catered for. Seems all good to me so no need to worry guys :smileynew:
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Im sure everyone knows how it works, its self-explanatory tbh, Giants put it in the most simple terms ever.
TedGlenn

Post by TedGlenn »

I guess mappers will use the "new farm" gameplay to set there farms out as they are in real life, then we would be able to play them as the mapper intended. As for the clutter around builds, the blog say there will be placeable that are just seanic, so possible might be an option, but its gonna give mappers more work!

Or we will just see mappers carry on as they have, which is not a problem anyway

The only issue i see is, take excellent The West Coast and say Bill remakes for FS19, Bill has made a number of differnt farm yards, if we choice "farm manager or Start From Scatch" option, will he set it so it wipes out all farm yard buildings on all farms or not? (not expecting a answer Bill, just wondering), but time will tell, we have a long way to go and hopefully a lot more info down the line
I'm on the right tractor baby,
I was born red and grey!
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

TacoFarmer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 pm WTF are sand squares??
Well.. squares of.. sand?
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Lis, do you know how often we will be seeing these Dev Blogs? Not forcing you to tell us if you dont know, but im just curious is all.
W1der

Post by W1der »

Sand Square according to google ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=sand+sq ... 20&bih=982
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I assume it's how you will create roads, tracks, yards and other surfaces in FS19.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pmMy reservations revolve around how maps will be received by the community. If, for example, BulletBill remakes The West Coast for FS19, how will the community react if they can't remove hedges and various buildings? The clutter around farm yards on European maps (I assume elsewhere too) - will they have to be part of a building, so if a shed is removed the clutter around it is removed too? There's no use removing a shed if there is still a ghostly outline of tyres and old broken down vehicles!

If the system divides users (if maps are voted down because they don't offer as much flexibility or this or that) then I can't see it helping the modding community one bit - if it's done really poorly (and I can't for a minute believe that will be the case) then it could dissuade top-class mappers from releasing maps at all.
That is a perfect explanation what I have also been thinking :hi: I'm really scared of loosing those kinds of amazing maps.

Some map makers like bulletbill, oxygendavid, bsm and alien jim are not just modders for me. They are more like artists. If the community leans to much on the "do it yourself" map canvases then they might loose motivation to create the best maps out there. I don't like even the probability of this.
BigC92 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:52 am
lefe1 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 am
RODHA wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm I mean, think about real life locations. They would never work with "build your own farm" logic.
Why wouldn't it.... every farm was built to what the farmer wanted just like this farm a couple of miles up the road from us. everything was built by the farmer that still lives and farms it.. The more equipment he purchased the more shed/barns he built over time...

RODHA but there's quite a few farmers who built buildings ect ect on there farms, like lefe1 said every farm was built to what the farmers wanted, I've even seen some demolished and a new building taking its place, so its way more common than you think, idk about where you live RODHA, but around here people customize there farms to what they have dreamed of.
Sure it would work and yes I get what you mean. But would you really want to mess up with the farms or buildings on lone oak, couldbrough, etc.
I mean whats the point of real farm recreations if we are going to change them?
PS5 / FS22
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

RODHA wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 am
That is a perfect explanation what I have also been thinking :hi: I'm really scared of loosing those kinds of amazing maps.
You guys are overthinking. Mappers CAN make things sellable, that means they can also make them not sellable. It's on them what is and isn't part of the new system. :)

It's an option .. and a great one.. not a must.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
somethingonmyshoe2

Post by somethingonmyshoe2 »

hi there all

well im not sure on all this make it your self part. as a map maker my self i can see the good and bad side.

i picked just 2 for the (good and bad)

good side
1 give's a wide choice to the gamer makeing the farm they wish
2 by the looks of it more game play

bad side
1 map makers are left with just the seenery to make
2 making the farm on the map is the best bit. ( if you take the best bit out are we going to make a half blank map so gamers can play on them )
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I think Lis already answered your concerns in his post above in stating it's up to the map maker to decide which buildings etc are fixed on the map and which can be replaced. We may see a few "blank" maps but that's obviously not what a lot of us want anyway so there's still going to be a demand for more of the great maps you modders make.
Everything is optional by the looks of it so it's not as if we're going to be forced in to playing a certain way.
W1der

Post by W1der »

I am sure there are plenty of players that is to "lazy" to build their own farm ... and "finished farms" will still be highly requested (as long as they are well done).

Personally I can see myself wanting "both" ...
A few modded maps out there is basically perfect (according to my taste) and there is very little that I would want to change on them.
For me it is more about finding/making spots for placeables (like a sawmill or two and things like that).

Ones you map makers get your hands on all these new tools I am sure that you will find a good balance on how to go about it *thumbsup*.
Remember, we still know very little of how this feature really works!

Could not help myself from attaching this ... :lol:
I am to familiar with "overthinking" ... :blushnew:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
TallPaul003

Post by TallPaul003 »

Lisertan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:45 am
TacoFarmer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:15 pm WTF are sand squares??
Well.. squares of.. sand?
Coffee spat... New keyboard required... Best answer EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FS17 on XBone
elevenfourteen

Post by elevenfourteen »

I think mod maps wont be big of an issue. Just think about it in a very easy, not complicated way. The 3 vanilla maps already in the game have 3 options to start. Why wouldn't a mod map have these 3 possibilities as well? Let me just take the wonderful 'Stappenbach' as an example.

The modder could:

- Do it with the three possibilities to start from the vanilla game. Then there would be no farm at all. But several places, that are, of course, different with grassland and trees on it (assuming you can place asphalt squares as well)

- Or he could make some of the farms buyable where everything is already built up, AND leave some farms blank - again just grassland and a little forest and so on.

Maybe you can now imagine how much additional possibilities this actually gives a modder. I don't think at all, that we are going to see loveless created maps by a modder or a team, who once created the most beautiful maps in the world. It's going to work out in the end, and we really shouldn't worry too much. I myself can say, Giants never disappointed me in a way, that I haven't had fun playing anymore. The only thing we have to do is waiting, and getting amazed by more and more features being announced. But man... 4 months to go...
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

RODHA wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 am I mean whats the point of real farm recreations if we are going to change them?
Because it's a video game and we can (or can't, depending on what we like and how the map creator sets it up). Shoot, right now on Lone Oak Farm which is in Oregon, USA, I'm using a European MAN semi and a Midwest US seasons geo. :shock: If I could change it, I'd take out the cow area completely and just be an arable farmer. I'd move the cows to where the pigs are and get rid of pigs and sheep altogether.

RODHA, you really are overthinking things. It's going to be great. Hop on board the hype train with the rest of us! :lol:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!