[Dev Blog] New Crops & Weed Control

Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

[Dev Blog] New Crops & Weed Control

Post by Lisertan »

Welcome back to the devblogs for Farming Simulator 19. Today we’ll be discussing new crops unique to Farming Simulator 19, as well as the new weed control system, and any new vehicles that are involved in those processes.

Two new crops come to the fields of Farming Simulator 19. The first is oats. While oats are not dissimilar to other cereals in how they are grown, using normal processes and combine harvesters, they have one unique property - they are used to feed your new, rideable horses. Those of you keen on rearing animals as part of your farm will need to set space aside for oat harvests.

Cotton is the second new crop, and has its own special harvester - the Case IH Module Express 635. Once collected, the 635 creates a large bale of cotton that can be transported on special trailers. The Lizard-brand trailers come in two sizes, allowing for transport of one or two bales at once. This makes cotton a significant investment in resources, but with the rewards to match.

Along with these new crops is an overhaul of the crop icons used in-game. While a minor change, these icons are used to display every vehicle’s expertise and uses. You will want to become familiar with them.

Finally there’s the far less useful kind of plant - the weeds. In our new weed control system, weeds will begin to grow whenever you sow any crop. You can see them in your fields, and they come in two stages, young and old. Young weeds in the first two growth stages are easier to remove, requiring only a weeder, so you should check your fields regularly and act accordingly.

Once weeds begin to age, they become more problematic. Once embedded you will require a sprayer with herbicide to remove them, more costly equipment since herbicides need to be refilled after use. Once bought, this sprayer can also be used on young weeds and to fertilize fields, however.

If you don’t tackle your weed problem before your crops are ready for harvest, the field’s final yield will be reduced by 20% - laziness is expensive! We expect that weeds will provide an extra wrinkle especially for players tackling the game in the new Start From Scratch mode.

That’s all on new crop types and the weed control system for today. Please join us next time when we’ll detail character customisation.

Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
somethingonmyshoe2

Re: [Dev Blog] New Crops & Weed Control

Post by somethingonmyshoe2 »

can we pick up and sell milk now? ( milk has a icon) . nice job on the dev blog
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I am really loving those new crop icons. I love that the sprayers now have a proper use, its pretty cool.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

Drmattymd wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:19 pm Anybody notice the milk icon? Maybe manual milk sales ?
Long story short: Yes. no teleporting Milk anymore.
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
gmfarmer420

Post by gmfarmer420 »

Drmattymd wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:19 pm Anybody notice the milk icon? Maybe manual milk sales ?
We can hope this is the only way i do cows now so it would *censored* having to wait for mod conversion.
FS22 season pass, FS19 Platinum and FS17 on PC FS15 on X360
glendalf

Post by glendalf »

It says the sprayer can be used for herbicide and for fertilizer. Does this mean we can empty whats left in the tank back into storage or does it just disappear and we lose whatever was in the tank?
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

glendalf wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 pm It says the sprayer can be used for herbicide and for fertilizer. Does this mean we can empty whats left in the tank back into storage or does it just disappear and we lose whatever was in the tank?
You can empty it and store what was left, yes :)
Community Manager

Mike3650

Post by Mike3650 »

Hey Lars, do you have any more info for the Round and Square bale icons? Are we getting different size bales?
Jim Bob

Post by Jim Bob »

Lisertan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:24 pm Long story short: Yes. no teleporting Milk anymore.
This just made me very happy!
Check out my YouTube channel (Jim Bob plays games) here: https://www.youtube.com/c/JBPG-YT
You can also find me here: https://www.facebook.com/jimbobplaysgames
And here: https://www.twitter.com/JBPG_JimBob
garyst

Post by garyst »

I got a couple questions, first will the weeds grow when there is no crop in the field like after harvest, or only when a crop is in the field? Will it be possible to spray herbicide like right after planting when there is no weeds currently present in order to prevent weeds from growing during the first growth stages of the crop? will the case ih 635 picker be the only cotton picker available in fs19?, no cheaper older models to start with? And last will there be a stalk shredder/puller to eliminate the leftover cotton stalks after harvest? Sorry for so many questions lisertan and appreciate any answers you can provide.
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

I think weed starts to grow after cultivating
No, you need to see them before killing them (we really want to keep it simple for non experts)
Not sure about cotton pickers and not sure about the stalks. Gonna see if I can find at least the stalk one out..

Sorry for the short and loveless response.. kinda busy right now.
Community Manager

Farm Shark

Post by Farm Shark »

I noticed that eggs have an icon, does this mean that we can do more with the eggs instead of just picking them up, teleport them to the backpack, and then walk into a trigger to sell them. Btw, these new crops and icons and just the whole game in general looks great! :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Good job! Thumbs up to the developper, designers. This will be a great game.

I'm still hoping they will works on a more realistic mecanics for players that has more experience, but I understand that this is easier to say than to create.

Thanks Lisertan for you answer, they added interesting information on this "almost already known" dev blog.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
garyst

Post by garyst »

Lisertan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:45 pm I think weed starts to grow after cultivating
No, you need to see them before killing them (we really want to keep it simple for non experts)
Not sure about cotton pickers and not sure about the stalks. Gonna see if I can find at least the stalk one out..

Sorry for the short and loveless response.. kinda busy right now.
No problem thanks for your time.
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

OK cotton pickers, I got the answer:

You need to cultivate/plow/whatever the field after you picked cotton once. It would regrow in reality, but the yield is WAY worse, that's why real farmers don't do that, therefore we decided that it won't regrow for us. Again: We try to keep it simple, so it's a bit different from reality.
Community Manager