Seasonal gameplay in Farming Simulator 22 - new screenshots & info!

this_is_gav

Re: Seasonal gameplay in Farming Simulator 22 - new screenshots & info!

Post by this_is_gav »

ace54858 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 am where are people seeing a 3 day seasons? as the stream showed by month's not day's and i would guess they had it set short so they could show off all 4 seasons.
It was confirmed yesterday that 1 month lasts 1 day, so assuming the months are evenly spread out across the seasons (hard to imagine otherwise!) then it is 3 day seasons.

I guess that's fine for most, myself included, but it's a bit short-sighted assuming that all players will want such short seasons. Especially for multiplayer servers 3 day seasons will put a lot of players off.

I hate to say it, but it's the same story with every FS release - where are they getting these opinions from - why aren't they gauging the playerbase for these sort of things until after they've been coded in and apparently finalised?

The bare stubble looked very poor too. I realise they can't have thick dense stubble as it would performance, but it's just wet soil with the odd stick coming through it. Surely they can do something to better mask it or have more artefacts to give an impression that a crop was there.

There are plenty of positives though. Thankfully I didn't see the horrific bloom effect yesterday so hopefully that has gone (or has been turned off), and the sky looked much improved compared to FS19 (not difficult, admittedly) and even most screenshots. The general tone of the game looks good and far better than in the initial batch of screenshots, so apparently GIANTS are listening to feedback and maybe there is hope for some changes before release.

Intrigued at the "Open AI Worker Menu" in the HUD and hopefully we'll hear more about that tonight. It might suggest set employees and perhaps (I'm extremely doubtful on this as I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to code and look good) setting them tasks a bit like the unmentionable-game-that-is-blocked-here-but-is-barely-a-competitor.

The ground level foliage is good (especially in the walk through the stream). My only complaint in that regard is the trees are still too bright, especially at a distance. And the autumn leaves look really really bright, almost like they're got lights in them. A little more shadow or even darkening of especially distance foliage would got a long way.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

72 real time hours to harvest your fields.
If you aren’t able to do that, you just own too much land.

To goal of this game is to farm. Not to own the whole map.

Whenever I played with the seasons mod, I had it on 3 day seasons anyway
Ignorance is bliss
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

iwan073 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:03 am 72 real time hours to harvest your fields.

To goal of this game is to farm. Not to own the whole map
You miss that you don`t always have 72 hours. What if it rains 2 days and it`s too wet to harvest? That happens in real life.
Also if you use realistic equipment and don`t harvest a 5 hectare field with a 13,7m corn header it takes some time to get the work done.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

TobiHH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am
iwan073 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:03 am 72 real time hours to harvest your fields.

You miss that you don`t always have 72 hours. What if it rains 2 days and it`s too wet to harvest? That happens in real life.
Also if you use realistic equipment and don`t harvest a 5 hectare field with a 13,7m corn header it takes some time to get the work done.
Yeah, so you can’t harvest because it rains. You’ll lose your crop. Just like in real life when the weather isn’t on your side.

And just like real farmers, if you only own a 3 meter cultivator/planter etc., you probably don’t own every field in the state ;)
Ignorance is bliss
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

To goal of this game is to farm. Not to own the whole map.

Whenever I played with the seasons mod, I had it on 3 day seasons anyway
The previous goal of the game was what you wanted it to be, but yes the goal now is to drive tractors to make grape juice, not to farm, which in my opinion makes the game suitable for grade schoolers.
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

iwan073 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:22 pm
TobiHH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am

Yeah, so you can’t harvest because it rains. You’ll lose your crop. Just like in real life when the weather isn’t on your side.

And just like real farmers, if you only own a 3 meter cultivator/planter etc., you probably don’t own every field in the state ;)
You don`t even have to own half of the map and will not be able to manage all the jobs with small equipment in time.
You also have to keep in mind that some other jobs must be done, also during harvest season. You can`t completely ignore your animals for example.
And yes, the nights for farmers are short during their most busy time, but they nevertheless sleep some hours during the 72 hours.

So it´s really not that you own to much land, but 72 hours (or less due to weather conditions and other circumstances) are too short if you want to play it realistic to some degree.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Here's what I took from what was said in last night's stream and the Q&A that followed it. Yes initially from the outside looking in it would appear that Seasons is 12 days = 1 Year. A lot of people are complaining that is too short and equates to 3 day Seasons when compared with Seasons mod for the last two farm sim games. However what people seem to be missing is that Giants said the Days/Months are connected to the Game Speed. So if you want to make a Month longer in the game to allow you more time to do things then you slow the game speed down. Vice Versa applies if you find yourself in position where you have nothing interesting to do you can increase the game speed to skip ahead faster to the next Day/Month. From what I took from it is that there seems to be more options in this years game for the Game Speed and we're not just looking at 1x, 5x, 15x etc It sounds like you may be able to play on fractions of time so like 1/2x 1/4x etc and there may even be the option to stop/pause the game speed entirely whilst you perform some tasks to ensure you are able to complete them.

The other good news from the Q&A is that you can actually if you want complete disable the whole seasons stuff and just play the game normal. So if you still don't like the 12 day Season Cycle in the game, you can just play without all that stuff and enjoy Farm Sim as we have done in all the previous versions.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

Yes, maybe you can slow down the game speed to 1/4 to finish your harvest in time, but this would cause problems on other sides.
Your BGA for example would run full very quickly if you have to drop down the game speed so much. How should they process the material if time is not going forward?
So stopping the game speed entirely is not a workable option or an improvement. It´s also very unrealistic which would at least bother me (if that`s the way they want to implement it)
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

This is the first disappointment for me in what Seasons is to be going forward and I'm sure many more disappointments will follow.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

I think they are spot on with the seasons 12 days great. For everyone else I'm sure there will be a mod out very quickly allowing you to make a year 365 days if realism is your mistress....
Personally I have a real farm and have no interest in spending 45 hours sowing a fictional field with a 3m drill. I just want to do lots of things so I can get a cheap feeling of accomplishment.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

TobiHH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm Yes, maybe you can slow down the game speed to 1/4 to finish your harvest in time, but this would cause problems on other sides.
Your BGA for example would run full very quickly if you have to drop down the game speed so much. How should they process the material if time is not going forward?
So stopping the game speed entirely is not a workable option or an improvement. It´s also very unrealistic which would at least bother me (if that`s the way they want to implement it)
Well hopefully things like the BGA and the Productions won't have their processing speed and rates controlled by the in game clock, but by actual real time clock. That would be one easy way to solve that problem, for the players who choose to extend their days by playing on slower game speeds. The blog says you can make 1 day in Game actually be 48 hours in real life, so you can take a whole weekend to enjoy a day in game, and if people are telling me they can't get jobs done in 48 real hours in this game, then I'm scratching my head wondering how they play the game. On Multiplayer with a bunch of people on the server, I can't see how people can complain they don't have enough time to do everything they need to in a day. The only thing I can think of is there are a lot of people who have played Farm Sim with the game clock cranked up to ridiculous speeds and have forgotten you can actually turn it down. You don't need to play the game on 120x. For all the people that raved about 12 day Seasons or higher in FS19, I'm guessing they played with the game speed cranked up. For many of us who played 3 day or 6 day Seasons and played with the game speed at 1x, 2x or 3x we had pretty much the same experience and were able to get just as much done in the shorter seasons.

What people again seem to forget here is that although Giants wanted to add Seasons to the base game, they couldn't just copy and paste the mod into the game, because they still need to the keep the game accessible and appealing to as many players as possible. Despite what Giants said in the stream and what a lot of people around here think, Seasons is not all that popular with players and there are a great number of players in the community that don't use the mod and don't want to play with it. So Giants had to find a middle ground here, where they could introduce a version or form of seasons, but do so in a way it wouldn't turn off their current players and have them not buy the game. Maybe like a lot of things this is an early implementation in FS22 and subsequently in the future in other releases of the game down the road they'll expand on this and add more to it. However right now they want to bring the players into it slowly and give them time to adjust to it, before forcing the complete seasons mod on people and introducing way too many hardcore elements for the casual.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 pm I think they are spot on with the seasons 12 days great. For everyone else I'm sure there will be a mod out very quickly allowing you to make a year 365 days if realism is your mistress....
Personally I have a real farm and have no interest in spending 45 hours sowing a fictional field with a 3m drill. I just want to do lots of things so I can get a cheap feeling of accomplishment.
I don’t think that’s what most want, just an actual reason to own a 100ft drill is nice
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Maybe if enough people speak up before release, they'll provide more options to change the length of a season or month. It seems it was a popular option in the mod.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

cwattyeso wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm
TobiHH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm Yes, maybe you can slow down the game speed to 1/4 to finish your harvest in time, but this would cause problems on other sides.
Well hopefully things like the BGA and the Productions won't have their processing speed and rates controlled by the in game clock, but by actual real time clock. That would be one easy way to solve that problem, for the players who choose to extend their days by playing on slower game speeds. The blog says you can make 1 day in Game actually be 48 hours in real life, so you can take a whole weekend to enjoy a day in game, and if people are telling me they can't get jobs done in 48 real hours in this game, then I'm scratching my head wondering how they play the game. On Multiplayer with a bunch of people on the server, I can't see how people can complain they don't have enough time to do everything they need to in a day. The only thing I can think of is there are a lot of people who have played Farm Sim with the game clock cranked up to ridiculous speeds and have forgotten you can actually turn it down. You don't need to play the game on 120x. For all the people that raved about 12 day Seasons or higher in FS19, I'm guessing they played with the game speed cranked up. For many of us who played 3 day or 6 day Seasons and played with the game speed at 1x, 2x or 3x we had pretty much the same experience and were able to get just as much done in the shorter seasons.

What people again seem to forget here is that although Giants wanted to add Seasons to the base game, they couldn't just copy and paste the mod into the game, because they still need to the keep the game accessible and appealing to as many players as possible. Despite what Giants said in the stream and what a lot of people around here think, Seasons is not all that popular with players and there are a great number of players in the community that don't use the mod and don't want to play with it. So Giants had to find a middle ground here, where they could introduce a version or form of seasons, but do so in a way it wouldn't turn off their current players and have them not buy the game. Maybe like a lot of things this is an early implementation in FS22 and subsequently in the future in other releases of the game down the road they'll expand on this and add more to it. However right now they want to bring the players into it slowly and give them time to adjust to it, before forcing the complete seasons mod on people and introducing way too many hardcore elements for the casual.
I aim to play at 5x so as to have some day changes but often switch to 1x as I need more time.
Actually there’s something else, actually having to deal with (not having) changes in light levels and night is one bad thing about those short seasons from a visual aspect.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Emil Jørgensen

Post by Emil Jørgensen »

Aren't we gonna talk about the "gearbox" ui bottom right corner? (seen in seasonal changes video 2:00)
PC - Fs 11 - Fs 17 - Fs 19
"Rather Push A Deere, Than Drive A Massey"