Grow some vegetables! Let's take a look at the new greenhouses

FarmBoss

Re: Grow some vegetables! Let's take a look at the new greenhouses

Post by FarmBoss »

deerefarm wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:34 am
TheSarkY wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:20 am Its far more logical to have green house same as fields, you need to seed it so you have period when it grows and you harvest it.. but i guess its simpler to make it per hour income.
But greenhouses aren't fields. Fields have as you say periods where you plant stuff and harvest it. Greenhouse are designed to grow all year round. Think California in a glass house. So as Giants said you will have crops to sell in the winter as well.
And as has been point out the potting soil used in greenhouses is prepared with fertilizer and nutrients. If at some point you need to add extra fertilizer it's usually mixed with the water.
I have yet to see a green house where there is a pile of manure sitting beside it.
The manure, realistic or not, gave players something else to do. I'm guessing you don't normally deliver water to a greenhouse in a tanker attached to a tractor either. I'm sure the real farmers will chime in to let us know now that I said it.
The game is known for stretching reality, and is generally accepted by players. The game is set to stretch reality even more in FS22.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:02 am I take it these greenhouses will be able to be heated to allow this year round crop, not everywhere is warm all year round.
That leads on to another question regarding how they implement the seasonal cycles as the 3 base maps are in different areas of the world they will have different climates and planting times etc. I wonder will we see one set up for all or 3 different ones and going forward how easy will it be for mappers who want a specific GEO for the region the map is based in.
TheSarkY

Post by TheSarkY »

TheSarkY wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:20 am Its far more logical to have green house same as fields, you need to seed it so you have period when it grows and you harvest it.. but i guess its simpler to make it per hour income.
But greenhouses aren't fields. Fields have as you say periods where you plant stuff and harvest it. Greenhouse are designed to grow all year round. Think California in a glass house. So as Giants said you will have crops to sell in the winter as well.
And as has been point out the potting soil used in greenhouses is prepared with fertilizer and nutrients. If at some point you need to add extra fertilizer it's usually mixed with the water.
I have yet to see a green house where there is a pile of manure sitting beside it.
I know but what i meant is there should be seed grow and harvest time and repeat, not just constant income of items.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

TheSarkY wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:40 am
I know but what i meant is there should be seed grow and harvest time and repeat, not just constant income of items.
Apparently, the only unrealistic thing in the game about greenhouses is that they required manure.
Potting soil that is just there automatically, and never needs to be changed, seeds that are just thee automatically, and water being dumped into a barrel outside from a tanker pulled by a tractor are all real.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

FarmBoss wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 am Apparently, the only unrealistic thing in the game about greenhouses is that they required manure.
Potting soil that is just there automatically, and never needs to be changed, seeds that are just thee automatically, and water being dumped into a barrel outside from a tanker pulled by a tractor are all real.
Dairydeere wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:18 pm ...any compost or soil sources are used only after the current crop has been sold/finished growing and a new seedbed needs preparation... :this:
Not seeing any posts that line up with your statement there, besides the conversation about manure consumption :confusednew:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Dairydeere wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:45 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 am Apparently, the only unrealistic thing in the game about greenhouses is that they required manure.
Dairydeere wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:18 pm ...any compost or soil sources are used only after the current crop has been sold/finished growing and a new seedbed needs preparation... :this:
Not seeing any posts that line up with your statement there, besides the conversation about manure consumption :confusednew:
Some guys like to argue about everything.
I say greenhouses probably need fertilizer, Illinois Farmer says it's in the soil already.

So I'm just curious.
Is it realistic that we don't need to add or replace the soil?
Is it realistic that we don't have to provide seeds for the new seedbed, that you mention?
Where does fertilizer or additives come from? Nowhere?
Is everything pre-mixed in a water tanker before being hauled by a tractor to the greenhouse?
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

- Preferably, you replace the soil after a group of plants is grown and harvested there. Usually it is potting soil which comes with nutrients.
- Bringing in new seeds for each planting is realistic as a plant must come from a seed.
- There is no need for fertilizer or additives as most nutrients are provided through the potting soil, and plants/vegetables grown in greenhouses do not require many nutrients anyway. Maybe certain specialty plants require additional nutrients, but many of the common ones usually do not.
- I don't know of greenhouses that haul their water in. All the water is usually plumbed in and fed to the plants via dripline or manual watering.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Thank you Dairydeere.
Maybe the greenhouses will require soil and seeds occasionally, which could be purchased from the store, or it could be modded in later.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Greenhouses are, in my opinion, a very nice "product" for Giants to start testing irrigation process!
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)