Need more slots? We increased console slots up to 300%, reduced usage too

iwan073

Re: Need more slots? We increased console slots up to 300%, reduced usage too

Post by iwan073 »

IceUul wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:33 am Back to FS17?
17?

After 19 came out, I haven't gone back to 17.
Yeah, once or twice to compare the two. Not to actually play.

I even went back to 15 one time. I could never play 15 anymore. You're so restricted. No engine options, nothing
Ignorance is bliss
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

iwan073 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:16 am You're so restricted. No engine options, nothing
Yeah, I remember that, it still reminds me how we have design color stripes options in FS17, and we no longer have it in FS19. *thumbsdown*
Also we still don't have that 4-door modern pickup truck from 17 beside the truck with the flat bed.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

It has been said vehicle slot counts have been reduced but no mention of what maps may possibly use.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

At a guess I would say maps will have less impact as well.
I wouldn't have thought they would reduce texture detail (pixel size to reduce VRAM usage) or actual poly count on the the Claas model they mentioned as an example, so that speaks to the whole game engine being optimized far better and making use of modern CPU's and GPU's capabilities, which should therefore apply the performance increase/slot count gain to everything.

Having more performance to play with is very exciting for modders as it will allow us to add better quality models, and maps to the game than before.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 am At a guess I would say maps will have less impact as well.
I wouldn't have thought they would reduce texture detail (pixel size to reduce VRAM usage) or actual poly count on the the Claas model they mentioned as an example, so that speaks to the whole game engine being optimized far better and making use of modern CPU's and GPU's capabilities, which should therefore apply the performance increase/slot count gain to everything.

Having more performance to play with is very exciting for modders as it will allow us to add better quality models, and maps to the game than before.
Let's hope that's the case.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

BulletBill wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 am I wouldn't have thought they would reduce texture detail (pixel size to reduce VRAM usage) or actual poly count on the the Claas model they mentioned as an example, so that speaks to the whole game engine being optimized far better and making use of modern CPU's and GPU's capabilities, which should therefore apply the performance increase/slot count gain to everything.
Wouldn’t this also make things look worse?
Ignorance is bliss
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

The reduced slot usage comes purely from the engine improvements we made. Primarily the texture streaming.

Also the map slots benefit greatly from this, since props, buildings, etc. only pay the slot price for a much smaller texture size than what could be used at runtime. The terrain textures are still always fully loaded.

Visually there should be no difference to FS19 in terms of texturing when the same content is used with a static or slowly moving camera. However, there can be short time of blurry textures when you move very quickly or switch the cameras/vehicles around. In practice it is however barely noticeable, even when using a slow traditional HDD (SSD greatly help to reduce this delay).
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

The terrain textures are still always fully loaded.
Does this include all the tip heap/windrow textures ??